Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi SQ5 vs modified 3.0 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60
Hello Spijun,
Quick question. The options sticker on my 2013 3.0T P+ has different codes for the brakes than what you are showing. Front - 1LE and the rear - 2EL. I haven't had them apart but the fronts look like a dual piston, is this correct for 1LE?
Here's a pic of the front
Thanks,
My fault that I did not write all the models: front: 1LE and 1LP rear:1KE and 2LE
And YES have dual piston:

Search 8R0615107E - 8R0615107E - Front Brake Caliper - Left - ES#2707079

Old 09-28-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=spijun;24609921]My fault that I did not write all the models: front: 1LE and 1LP rear:1KE and 2LE
And YES have dual piston:

Thank you Sir,
Old 09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rendart
Hey guys.

So I'm taking delivery of my sq5 soon and was telling a colleague at work about it, he mentioned that he witnessed a modified Q5 done by a company called Revo (it was something called stage 1+ modification)beat an Sq5 in the 0-60.

He said it does 4.9 which I find is hard to believe if an sq5 does 5.1 in the 0-60.

Anyone have details of these modifications and how bad it is for the car? He told me it didn't alter much on the car at all and in most cases does not void the warranty if there are any issues(also find hard to believe). And says the mileage of the car gets better.

That just doesn't make sense to me. How can mileage get better if it's putting out more power. And doesn't pushing the engine more with these type of modifications wear it out faster?

Anyways just wondering, made me think twice why I just didn't go for a 3.0 and mod it instead of spending more on an sq5 (I know the exterior and interior are much nicer but the engine performance is a huge factor).

Thanks for reading
it's def possible. the apr tune makes the q5 3.0T noticeably faster

anyway, as the old saying goes...performance, cost and reliability

you can have 2 out of 3...
Old 09-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the interesting replies guys.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and happy with my purchase, was just curious about these modifications. out of curiosity I researched a bit about them, and it seems Revo Stage 1 (not 1+) is just a software update to something called the ECU, and gives the 3.0T engine a 100HP+ boost (wow) so 272 to 372+ just from software.

Makes you think does Audi undertune their cars for longevity to make sure they don't wear out or break down?

And I wonder if someone can just change their grill and exhaust on their 3.0T to SQ5 bumpers mod his car and pose as one (would be silly ofcourse cause you might end up paying more, the mod is 1,500$ but I wonder how much the body parts for the sq5 are, front and rear)

Anyways, just rambling away as usual.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rendart
and it seems Revo Stage 1 (not 1+) is just a software update to something called the ECU
ECU - engine control unit. It's basically the car's primary computer.

, and gives the 3.0T engine a 100HP+ boost (wow) so 272 to 372+ just from software.
People get fixated on the peak HP number while in reality it is the torque that you feel when you hit the accelerator pedal and it is the torque curve that you should be paying more attention to. The ECU programming of course gives you nice torque improvement as well, even nicer if you replace the pulley.

Makes you think does Audi undertune their cars for longevity to make sure they don't wear out or break down?
Yes, it's a delicate balancing act. Audi stands behind their product with a 4-year warranty, and they have a reputation to uphold. They're not in it to just make a quick buck like some of these tuner companies.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think this thread was intended to dis the SQ5. It's a beautiful, fun to drive vehicle.

But for the 3.0T guys' benefit, it's a well known Audi MO to certify one engine and differentiate (AKA tier) their products through various levels of tune depending on the vehicle. You can see it in the APR charts for Stage 1 SQ5 vs 3.0T Stage 1 - the engine output is identical, apples to apples comparison. Same for Stage 2 SQ5 vs 3.0T. You would see some benefit to improved breathing, exhaust, etc if there was in fact hard, performance targeted improvements. Audi even kept the same low 6200 redline for both the 3.0T and SQ5.

Same as if you buy a base Q7 3.0T or the prestige Q7 with the uprated 330+hp 3.0T. Same engine, different tune for the 70+ hp increase.

Audi has gone through a lot of trouble to try and identify people tuning their lower power tier engine to higher levels. Obviously, they don't want to be pouring $$ into repairing mishaps from people's racing hobbies, but more importantly, if they did NOT do this, their whole tiered marketing strategy breaks down.

At the end of the day, I think the real question is, are things being overstressed by tuning a Q5 3.0T to power levels in the same ballpark to an SQ5. The simple answer is no - the engine is the same and will survive just fine assuming it's a reputable tuner like APR, etc. Will you have a full Audi-backed warranty if something goes wrong in the powertrain? It depends on the failure and whether they can tie it to increased hp as the cause.

You do get a nice full warranty with the SQ5, but I guarantee if Audi finds out damage was caused by drag racing or track time, it matters not which car you have, tuned or otherwise, they aren't paying a dime.

Last edited by BlackSVT; 09-29-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
I don't think this thread was intended to dis the SQ5. It's a beautiful, fun to drive vehicle.

But for the 3.0T guys' benefit, it's a well known Audi MO to certify one engine and differentiate (AKA tier) their products through various levels of tune depending on the vehicle. You can see it in the APR charts for Stage 1 SQ5 vs 3.0T Stage 1 - the engine output is identical, apples to apples comparison. Same for Stage 2 SQ5 vs 3.0T. You would see some benefit to improved breathing, exhaust, etc if there was in fact hard, performance targeted improvements. Audi even kept the same low 6200 redline for both the 3.0T and SQ5.

Same as if you buy a base Q7 3.0T or the prestige Q7 with the uprated 330+hp 3.0T. Same engine, different tune for the 70+ hp increase.

Audi has gone through a lot of trouble to try and identify people tuning their lower power tier engine to higher levels. Obviously, they don't want to be pouring $$ into repairing mishaps from people's racing hobbies, but more importantly, if they did NOT do this, their whole tiered marketing strategy breaks down.

At the end of the day, I think the real question is, are things being overstressed by tuning a Q5 3.0T to power levels in the same ballpark to an SQ5. The simple answer is no - the engine is the same and will survive just fine assuming it's a reputable tuner like APR, etc. Will you have a full Audi-backed warranty if something goes wrong in the powertrain? It depends on the failure and whether they can tie it to increased hp as the cause.

You do get a nice full warranty with the SQ5, but I guarantee if Audi finds out damage was caused by drag racing or track time, it matters not which car you have, tuned or otherwise, they aren't paying a dime.
very well said! I already talked to my dealer and they gave a verbal agreement that apr stage 1 would not void my warranty.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeebow
very well said! I already talked to my dealer and they gave a verbal agreement that apr stage 1 would not void my warranty.
Make sure to get that in writing.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zeebow
I don't believe that their verbal agreement will mean anything if Audi scans your car and you get flagged TD1. It's all up to corporate Audi at that point. Now, if you flashed it back to stock and then brought it in, it may be a different story. It also my not be a different story because there is a built in detector for the number of times that an ECU is flashed and I'm honestly not sure if it can be changed back to the original value.

Verbal agreements generally are worth the value of the paper that they are printed on...just sayin...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There has been so much from different people swearing that a flash tune is or is not detectable, and that it will or will not void your warranty. I am now under the impression that no one is absolutely, positively, 100% sure that it won't void any drive train warranties.

It seems to me, that there are a number of ways you can "pay-to-play." I guess if I were going to do this, I would procure an separate ECU, ship it to APR, then swap out the whole damn thing. When time for service, switch the whole thing back again. That sounds like the only sure-fire way to avoid warranty issues or TD1 concerns. Of course, there may be issues doing it that way as well.

Quick Reply: Audi SQ5 vs modified 3.0 Q5