Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Automatic Stop-Start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Stop-Start?

I'm curious . . . Do most of you use the automatic engine stop-start feature (when the car comes to a stop such as at a traffic light and then restarts when you take your foot off the brake) or do you turn that off?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I keep it on. I'm used to it now
Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its been proven that there is up to 5% fuel saving with this function, But as of yet, no research or evidence has been shown whether or not this will reduce the life of your battery due to the engine going on and off( its hard not to imagine the impact of this function on your battery if you are in Rush hour traffic going to work and back home for an hour each way every day.

Apparently due to the nature of hybrids and how their batteries are different than fuel-cars battery's, it does not suffer from the constant on and off when stopping. (don't ask me how, I just read it in an article a while back)

Last edited by rendart; 10-27-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rendart
Its been proven that there is up to 5% fuel saving with this function, But as of yet, no research or evidence has been shown whether or not this will reduce the life of your battery due to the engine going on and off( its hard not to imagine the impact of this function on your battery if you are in Rush hour traffic going to work and back home for an hour each way every day.

Apparently due to the nature of hybrids and how their batteries are different than fuel-cars battery's, it does not suffer from the constant on and off when stopping. (don't ask me how, I just read it in an article a while back)
Any Audi equipped with start-stop has a heavy-duty battery and starter to handle the increased load (which should be similar to how hybrids do it, as well). So there should be no noticeable decrease in longevity, just an increase in cost when it's time to replace since the heavy-duty components will cost more.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, it's on for me a good majority of the time. I'm used to it to the point where it seems archaic that my other car doesn't shut off while stopped...and I was a huge skeptic...
Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Never use it. This is our 2nd Q5 and we disliked it so much in our first car that we turned it off the day we brought the 2nd one home.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turned it off a few days after purchase over a year ago and have not used it since.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I get stop/start on my regular gas SQ5. BMW's I have owned have had this feature and I like it.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This can't be good for the engine.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
Never use it. This is our 2nd Q5 and we disliked it so much in our first car that we turned it off the day we brought the 2nd one home.
This

Quick Reply: Automatic Stop-Start?