Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Big crunch.. goodbye, Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely it's not totaled (just based off the photos) BUT make sure you go after them for diminished value because your vehicle's resale value will take a MAJOR hit
Old 02-06-2015, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, my condolences. I really enjoy driving in the snow - when no one else is on the road. Too often folks in SUVs and AWD vehicles drive like they are invincible or immune to dangerous conditions. I've been so nervous with the giant snow banks and slick conditions around here. Glad nobody was injured. Best of luck throughout this process.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for the responses! Clearly I'm not the real Stig.. Some say he can repel impacts.. I must just be his American cousin, but either way the cover is blown!
The car is still at the body shop, I have yet to hear from them. The waiting is killing me! I'm hoping that just for the sake of simplicity it's totaled. He totally missed the part of the bumper that's designed for impact, and having had to replace my front bumper this summer after striking a coyote on the highway- I know the parts aren't cheap.
If they do decide to fix it, I still doubt that I will end up keeping it. Financially it'll be quite a hit I'm sure, but I've seen firsthand a few cars that were repaired after accidents like that and they never really drive the same. Rattles are a given, but when a car gets hit that hard it seems like everything is knocked loose regardless of point of impact.
As far as filing a diminished value claim, I'm sure that's a huge PITA. I'm definitely learning this whole post-accident insurance process as I go.
Quite the hassle, but again- I'm very glad both the other driver and myself were ok, that I didn't have my 2 year old niece in the car (whom I was on my way to babysit!), that the process so far has been very easy compared with the horror stories I've heard, etc. Gotta look at the bright side!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dcl23
Oh, my condolences. I really enjoy driving in the snow - when no one else is on the road. Too often folks in SUVs and AWD vehicles drive like they are invincible or immune to dangerous conditions. I've been so nervous with the giant snow banks and slick conditions around here. Glad nobody was injured. Best of luck throughout this process.
I hear ya! I actually enjoy driving in snow under the same circumstances you describe- When I'm not in danger of someone else's carelessness. Every time it snows, the vehicles you see off the road are usually trucks and SUVs. People don't realize that AWD/4WD only helps you get going, but doesn't help you to stop or turn! I went through two NH winters with a rwd BMW 335i coupe that did better in the snow with winter tires than my friend's Grand Cherokee with all season tires. I just saw something on the news today that so far this winter, 19 NH state police cruisers have been struck on the side of the road during storms by morons going too fast for the conditions...
Old 02-07-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you get your insurance company involved so as not to get short changed by the other party and their insurance company... I think the correct term is subrogate.

The other owner's insurance company may try to give you something less than what is written on the repair estimate. I had this happen to me when a young driver went thru a red light and I ended up hitting him in the side. His insurance company claimed that I was partly to blame because I hit him, even though I had almost no time to get on the brakes. He came shooting thru the third and farthest lane past rows of cars that were stopped in the other two lanes, so I did not see him until he entered the intersection.

I would be surprised if they try anything funny in your case, but it's best to have your insurance company involved right from the get go.

BTW, did you notice if the other Q5'er had snow tires ? Bet not.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
Most likely it's not totaled (just based off the photos) BUT make sure you go after them for diminished value because your vehicle's resale value will take a MAJOR hit
I hear you brother, I was rear ended by a Mercedes E350 at 30mph when I was at a dead stop. 10k worth of damage completely covered by insurance however as the vehicle was financed they said it was worth 6k less than actual current value after repair. Audi did cut me a deal when I traded in vehicle and leased new 2015 Q5....from now on only leasing for me as I flip vehicles constantly and never thought of actual vehicle price after an accident which you assume if you own/ finance it. Btw Good luck on your repairs, Stig!?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
She tried to claim I'd stopped short but luckily I had a witness.
FYI, "stopping short" is not a defense for a driver who collides with another vehicle in a rear end accident. All states require that drivers maintain a safe distance allowing for reaction time and stopping distance. Unless a driver could prove they were "pushed" into a car by another vehicle behind them, they are always at fault, regardless of road conditions.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can only guess at how you feel. I have a 2015 TDI that is my second love. We don't have much snow in the southeast but there is no shortage of moronic drivers. Good luck on the repair. Get your Audi dealer to do the repair. At least you have a relationship with them.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
FYI, "stopping short" is not a defense for a driver who collides with another vehicle in a rear end accident. All states require that drivers maintain a safe distance allowing for reaction time and stopping distance. Unless a driver could prove they were "pushed" into a car by another vehicle behind them, they are always at fault, regardless of road conditions.
I'm aware of that. It was just funny -- strange and humorous at the same time -- to watch her try to blame ME for something that was obviously and clearly 100% her fault. Fortunately we were both covered by the same insurance company, AAA, which smoothed the process. AAA also has a terrific program that gets you about 7% off MSRP for a replacement vehicle at participating dealers. Otherwise my CX-9 would have topped $50k.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics of the Q5 that hit you!

Glad you're ok, How did you feel physically after the hit? Any sore body parts? Or did the Q absorb and distribute all the energy well?

It looks fixable. It's gonna be a pricey fix but it's fixable. Just go to a good body shop and they should take good care of you. Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Big crunch.. goodbye, Q5?