Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake pad brand suggestions/recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad brand suggestions/recommendations?

Its time to replace the brake pads on the Q5. I will also be looking to replace the rotors. I looked at the Audi dealer for the parts but wanted to ask if any of you gone withnother than Audi parts and may have recommendations?
If I can get better stop performance and less dust for about the same price why not look into other brands.

Ive seen
Hawk
Bosch
Stop tech
Power stop
Textar
And some other brands. Any of you tried other brands have input for me?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hawk ceramic pads have good stopping power and less dust. For more bite, go with Hawk HPS.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by pjsean5
Hawk ceramic pads have good stopping power and less dust. For more bite, go with Hawk HPS.
I was leaning towards Hawk or Bosch. I was leaning towards the Hawk HPS vs the Hawk ceramic. I figured the HPS would have better bite and have less dust than the stock brake pads.

Last edited by jrscll; 01-26-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am a fan of the HAWK LTS pad for SUV's. Had them on my Q7 and they were long-lasting and virtually dust-free. When the time comes to replace my OEM pads on my SQ5, I'll consider putting them on. Unless, there's something even better out there I haven't heard of...
Old 01-26-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Does anyone know the brand of the pads on the 2014 Q5 TDI? I find them to be visually dust free. Big difference from my 2010 Q5.

I would be happy with OEM replacements on the 2014 Q5 TDI (i believe same brakes on the 3.0L as well).
Old 01-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 55cadillacking
I am a fan of the HAWK LTS pad for SUV's. Had them on my Q7 and they were long-lasting and virtually dust-free. When the time comes to replace my OEM pads on my SQ5, I'll consider putting them on. Unless, there's something even better out there I haven't heard of...
Im looking at the autoanything.com which has free shipping, close to my area so wont have to wait forever for them to arrive and 20% off. They only have Hawk Ceramic and HPS to consider other than the racing type stuff.
Im probably just gonna do the HPS.
I figure since I just put Pirelli scorpion verde tires 2 months ago which have good ratings and with the Hawk HPS I should have good stoppage when needed.

Any suggestions on rotors? I see the Hawk rotors but they are drilled and slotted and saw somewhere on another thread not the best.

Last edited by jrscll; 01-26-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased PowerStop pads for my wife's Passat and they work well. I found them on RockAuto.com
Old 01-28-2016, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Does anyone know the brand of the pads on the 2014 Q5 TDI? I find them to be visually dust free.

Dennis, at some point they transitioned to Brembo pads and calipers. I know our '15 Q5 (4 cylinder) has them and they are the cleanest pads I've ever witnessed. However, I find pedal effort to be very high for a given amount of braking.

I'm still a fan of the pads Reggie found from Centric. Great stopping power under normal driving conditions and they're fairly clean. I've fitted them to my A4 and our A6 wagon.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hawk says they don’t make front fitting pads for the non-hybrid Q5:

"We DO make a front for the 2014 Q5 HYBRID, but the pad shape and thickness are not at all the same as the front pads on your car. I verified with our engineering department, as well, and while we do make pads that are similar to what you need, we do not make an exact match at this time. We will be expanding our product line throughout 2016, so it’s worth checking back in a few months’ time to see what is available then."
Old 02-08-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what year you have of the Q5, but on my 2010, I put the HAWK HPS, and I love them. Very low dust (compared to stock), and great performance.

Quick Reply: Brake pad brand suggestions/recommendations?