Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 10:25 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Car is shaking Dealer is clueless, Please help with a sugestion.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car is shaking Dealer is clueless, Please help with a sugestion.

Soo, her you go...
We got a certified, 2010 Q5 for my wife back in 2013. Ever sense it was at the stiller at least once every three months and I mean at least once. Very first time I had to take it in due to the fact that the trainy was jerking really, really bad especially when downshifting from second in to the first. Well that got fixed somewhat (it still does now and then or hard shifting from second in to third).

Then I had a oil light com on saying that the level is low. So, I added some oil and kept my ayes on it and couple weeks later more then half of the MMI bar was gone. I took it in. The topped it of and sealed it and told me to com back when the light comes back. We drove the car for couple of the months and level actually staid normal, by normal I mean it did burn some but nothing like before.

Then we went to the concert in LA (about 50mi away from home) and the car started to shake like crazy. It was obvious that one or two cylinders where misfiring. So I was OK, I think I know what that is. Same thing happened to my B6 while back and we just replaced coil packs, but we decided to call Audi Assistance to have it tow to our stealer in Newport Beach. The next day or day after, they called me and told me that they have replaced one of the coils. So I when there, payed $80 for the warranty deductible (btw. the coil is $40), picked up the car thought I should probably replace other three.

Couple weeks later, I was in Boston and my wife called and told me that the car is shaking again. I told her to take it back to the dealer. It was at the dealer for about 3 days and by that time I returned home and when to pick it up. To my surprise, they told me that they have replaced one of the injectors. I got the car back (paid another $80), thinking whatever, at least we wont have to bring it back right, wrong, couple weeks later it started doing it again. So I took it back. They called me back the next day, and he felt my frustration, and told me that he replaced all of the coils and he will not charge me for the warranty deductible. So, I got the car back and it was fine for couple of months.

Then I was driving to the store and it started shaking again, this time it was at leas two cylinder misfiring. So I called the dealer, and he told me to call Audi Assistance to have it towed to them. Now I'm really concern.

I called the Audi Assistance and scheduled pickup for the next morning for 8am. The tow truck didn't show up until 10, and they kept on calling me every 15 minutes with updates which I thought was annoying but I didn't care at all. The guy loaded the car on the truck which I didn't even think about but after it just hit me later that Q5 is a quattro and you can't tow it with rear wheels on the ground. But that was part of the trouble that I was facing. After car got picked up,

I went to work, about 2pm, I received the call from the dealer, and the guy on the phone told me that he just received the car and that he wanted to know if I was aware of the scuffs on the passenger side rear door? I was like WTF!?!?!? I went strait to the dealer, and from there, my whole day was trashed. There was a big scuff on the door. They told me to call the towing company, so I did, and the owner didn't even wanted to talk to me.

In the middle of all this, my wife texted me a picture of here car, that she took while waiting for me in my with her car hooked up to the tow truck, with words like "ohh, my poor baby, when is it gong to be over?" or something like that ( she didn't even knew what was going on at that time), and that's when it hit me, that it was towed improperly.

I contacted my insurance, explained what happened, supplied that picture and a video that I took the day before that clearly shows that there was no damage.
BTW. Here is the video of my car shaking that I took a day before it was towed.

At this point, I was focused on dealing with the insurance, and my wife picked up the car and I newer got an answer from them what was wrong this time. But I just ordered new spark plugs (Bosch FR6KPP332S) and replaced it couple days later.

Couple of days later, it started shake again. At this point, I'm like that's it, I'm taking it to different dealer in Mission Viejo (which is actually closer to my house) , and I got approved for a buddy work repair by the insurance. I took it there, couple days later they called me and left a message that its been fixed and its being handed to the body shop (in Tustin), and I was like, OK, I'll ask what was wrong when I go there to pick up the car.

Couple days after the car was moved to the body shop, I get a call from that shop and the guy telling me that my insurance adjuster was just there, and he didn't approved half of the repairs that they are supposed to do and he suggested that I give hem a call and gave me his phone number. At this point, I'm so pissed off. I'm calling this adjuster guy started asking why he didn't approved some of the work that "has to be done to have my car repaired properly". He was confused that I was calling hem, and he simply said, that the they wanted to paint the whole side, from rear bumper up to the hood and even replace windshield "to do the paint job properly". Now, I know that when you paint, for example the rear door, you would father the paint to both sides a litle bit and clear coat the whole panel, but there is no way you would need to pain the front fender or anything like that. So we spoke for a while, and he sounded like a decent guy, and told me that he has been dealing with this shop for a long time and they are always trying to make more work for them self so they can get more money from insurance. At this point, I just though, why the hell do I have to deal with this shop? I brought my car to the dealer, not them. There id more to this story, but this tread is long enough, that I'm going to skip to the point, that body shop called me and told me that the car is ready for pickup, and I didn't get a chance to ask what they did to fix it.

Now, couple days ago, my mother in law borrowed my wife's car and I get a call from her, she is freaking out that the car is shaking. I told her that there is nothing new, just bring it back to my house. By the time she got back it stopped and there was no CEL on the dash board. i was going to check it for any pending codes,but couldn't find my "troubleshooting" laptop charger ( I'm a Linux user and I have a dedicated laptop in the garage with preinstalled VAG-COM for Audi and some Porsche software for my car)and kind of slipped my mind and I kind of forgot about it.

Yesterday, I get a call from my wife crying, the car is doing this again! I said you can bring it to the dealer, after work or I can take it in next morning before I go to work. She decided to take it in to the dealer in Mission Viejo.

Now, I get a call, from MV dealer, and the guy asked me if I did my 75K service, I said yes. then he asked did you do it somewhere or did you do it your self? I said I did it my self but I couldn't remember if I did the spark plugs or the other dealer did. He said, well you have a wrong spark plugs installed. Do you want us to replace it for almost $400? I asked, Isn't cowered by the warranty? He said no, its a serviceable part and its not cowered and I knew that, then I asked how much is it per plug? he said it's $18 and they still have to reset the CEL plus they would charge me for the labor. I know that the spark plugs are good and right ones. As soon as I got home I double checked to see if I actually ordered and replaced the plugs or the other dealer did and I found the receipts which indicates that I have ordered Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs. I did changed the spark plugs, all filters oil, brakes but after I hang up the phone, I was like, wait, the car only has 67.000 miles on it. So I told him that I will pick up the car and now I have no idea on what to do. I think I'm going to buy new plugs from the dealer and bring it to one in Newport Beach tomorrow.

At this point I don't know what to do? Should I call a lawyer ( I work with 173 of them) or should I send a letter to the Audi headquarters? Any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your vehicle is having the same issue every time you take it in shouldn't they waive the deductible for the warranty? They should reopen the previous ticket. Is it the 2.0T or 3.2 engine? Could it be carbon buildup?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need cliffnotes lol... but that photo is worrisome, it should have been towed on a flatbed
Old 02-11-2016, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the towing company to small claims court. Very easy. Also have a thorough inspection of the AWD system and add that.

Round up your receipts from the dealer and explain that all these previous fixes were unnecessary and you want a refund. If they don't give it, tell them you'll see them in small claims court.

Not to be construed as a substitute for legal advice.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Use two bottles of techron injector cleaner on a half of tank of gas. See if this helps. It also could be cables or bad injector. I had the same problem in my old VW and the dealer was clueless.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BarryT
If your vehicle is having the same issue every time you take it in shouldn't they waive the deductible for the warranty? They should reopen the previous ticket. Is it the 2.0T or 3.2 engine? Could it be carbon buildup?
That's what I though, but when I asked them they said " well, if its a different cylinder, then its different problem). Basically they are trowing the parts at it at my expense.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryT
Is it the 2.0T or 3.2 engine?
Appears to be a 2.0T.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Appears to be a 2.0T.
Sorry, it is 2.0.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe check the crankcase pressure regulating valve. There is actually an "Emissions Service Action 17F9" because the diaphragm in the valve may tear. They replaced just the diaphragm in my 2012 A6 2.0T preemptively under warranty, but it actually did not seal properly and caused symptoms similar to what you experienced:

- engine very difficult to start
- stumbled very badly trying to maintain idle
- acceleration from a standstill was very poor and almost felt like it would stall, but mine never actually stalled
- my check engine light did come on after 1 day

So the dealer had to replace the whole crankcase pressure regulating valve assembly and the problem was resolved.

The diaphragm is supposed to close most of the way when the intake manifold vacuum is high, like at idle. If it doesn't close properly, then excessive unmetered blow-by gases will be drawn into the intake causing a lean mixture and misfires.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go on Facebook and search for Humble Mechanic. His name is Charles and he's a certified master VW technician. Explain it to him and see what he says. He has a website too, but he responds to Facebook messages the same day normally.

Quick Reply: Car is shaking Dealer is clueless, Please help with a sugestion.