Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Check your rears for me please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Looks like the pads that they installed have a lateral grove in them by design. Did they use OEM Audi pads?

Look at the pads from the edge, do you see the grove?
They reused the stock pads after they cleaned everything out. I tried to look but I cannot see the end of the pad as the caliper is covering it.

Audi did not mention anything so I did not ask
Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Q5
They reused the stock pads after they cleaned everything out. I tried to look but I cannot see the end of the pad as the caliper is covering it.

Audi did not mention anything so I did not ask
You should have told us that in your first post! The pads have groves in them from the original worn rotors.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Judging by the picture you provided, forensics evidence that you have went off road. The dust/dirt on the outer edge of the disc is the same color as the groove. Therefore, it is a piece of rock that fell in the crevice of the brake calipers. Like i said, take it to a pressure washer. It wont hurt anything but a small pocket change.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by IntheQ5
Judging by the picture you provided, forensics evidence that you have went off road. The dust/dirt on the outer edge of the disc is the same color as the groove. Therefore, it is a piece of rock that fell in the crevice of the brake calipers. Like i said, take it to a pressure washer. It wont hurt anything but a small pocket change.
It's not a groove in the rotor, it's a raised ridge as the OP stated in an earlier post. Being a ridge in the rotor means that there is a groove in the pad.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
It's not a groove in the rotor, it's a raised ridge as the OP stated in an earlier post. Being a ridge in the rotor means that there is a groove in the pad.
Thanks, i didn't want to have to repeat myself.

Also regarding your other post, I did state I got a brake service, which is different than a brake replacement. Brake service they take everything apart and clean out the junk, lube, and put back. Interestingly enough, apparently Audi does NOT lube from factory, and its only recommended if there are issues after the fact at the dealer. Do the stock pads have a groove? Maybe they added a groove to my original pads tohelp my build-up issue?

Also to the other poster, these are original brakes with high mileage, through gruelling Canadian winters, not off-roading. Although, i guess driving on our Canadian roads in the spring could be considering off-roading due to the conditions of the frost heaving and potholes. But mostly its due to salt/sand attack.