Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra

Hey guys, I'm about to take my new TDI in for a clear bra (Xpel Ultimate) and coating/sealant. I was thinking of getting the film on the front bumper, front quarter panels, the entire hood, and the painted portion of the back of the side mirrors.

I've never had a clear bra put on a car before, so I'd really appreciate some opinions from those who have done this. Is getting the entire hood done overkill, or a good idea? I've seen some cars before where the clear bra comes up to the lower third of the hood and (especially) when the car was dirty, you could see exactly where the clear bra was because dust would settle at the edge of the seam. I really don't want to see any seams, but also don't want to spend more than I need to.

I welcome your thoughts on this, thanks!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't want to see any seams when it is dirty, then you will need to get the full front quarter panels done and full hood. I have partial quarter panels and hood and only see the seam when my car is really dirty.

You may also consider getting the door handle cups and the top of the rear bumper (for loading/unloading protection).

I have the Xpel Ultimate and have been very happy with it.

In my opinion, the entire hood is overkill.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
If you don't want to see any seams when it is dirty, then you will need to get the full front quarter panels done and full hood. I have partial quarter panels and hood and only see the seam when my car is really dirty.

You may also consider getting the door handle cups and the top of the rear bumper (for loading/unloading protection).

I have the Xpel Ultimate and have been very happy with it.

In my opinion, the entire hood is overkill.
Thanks, DF. How much of your hood did you have done?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Whatever the standard is. I think they call it 1/4 or 1/3.

I've had my SQ5 for a year now and 15k miles. No chips, no marks, no issues.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

When our 2015 SQ5 arrives in April or May, I'm going to get the full front done in XPel Ultimate (Bumper, Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors) and then get the whole car coated in Modesta BC-05 glass coating.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
When our 2015 SQ5 arrives in April or May, I'm going to get the full front done in XPel Ultimate (Bumper, Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors) and then get the whole car coated in Modesta BC-05 glass coating.
I know it is a pain, but I would have your detailer who will be coating the SQ5 color correct the paint prior to the Xpel installation (at least where the Xpel will be installed).
Old 11-07-2014, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I know it is a pain, but I would have your detailer who will be coating the SQ5 color correct the paint prior to the Xpel installation (at least where the Xpel will be installed).
Yeah. That's part of the prep work. I ordered Sepang Blue, so it's going to have a few swirls when it gets here from Germany. Nothing can prevent it.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd do the A pillars while you're at it, my dealer includes that in their package.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I am having my detail/prep and coating/sealant done by Bob Willis @ Auto Concierge, who I believe is the best in the Bay Area and he is known for his expertise in paint correction, and also has a reputation as being a perfectionist (which doesn't bother me one bit ). He has another guy who specializes in film come to his shop to do that process.

Really appreciate all the opinions and feedback so far, and would welcome any others. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by metta; 11-07-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ND40oz
I'd do the A pillars while you're at it, my dealer includes that in their package.
Film on the A pillars? Hmm. That never even occurred to me . . . Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra