Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by metta
So I dropped off my new TDI on Saturday for a full detail, paint correction (which was very minimal), prepped for film, full exterior (actually all painted surfaces including inside doors, trunk hatch, etc.) and wheels coated with Sonax Netshield, and I went with having Xpel Ultimate film on the full front end (full front bumper, including headlights, full hood, full front quarter panels and A pillars), mirrors, and the leading edges of the rear bumper. Just picked it up tonight and it looks awesome!

I was very specific in not letting the dealership unwrap or detail the car in anyway (only unwrapping what was necessary to do the PDI), and I think that probably cut down on the amount of correction needed. BTW, my TDI doesn't have any badges on the front quarter panels, so removal was not a factor or concern for me.

It was definitely an investment, but worth doing things right from the beginning. Thanks for all the opinions offered on this thread!
Can you post some pics?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW, photos of a car with Xpel Ultimate aren't too useful as the film can't be seen after install. Which is a good thing.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
FWIW, photos of a car with Xpel Ultimate aren't too useful as the film can't be seen after install. Which is a good thing.
I agree, but was asking for pics more because of the color correction.

Always great to see pics of super shiney Audi.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
I agree, but was asking for pics more because of the color correction.

Always great to see pics of super shiney Audi.
He was referring to paint correction. This is simply a buffing and polishing to remove any contaminants or wax from the surface which should always be done before application of films. Again, won't be very visible in a photo other than the car will be nice and clean. Wax is NOT applied under the film but can be done over the film itself. If a paint treatment product like Opti-Coat Pro is installed over the paint (including the film), waxing is optional.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
He was referring to paint correction. This is simply a buffing and polishing to remove any contaminants or wax from the surface which should always be done before application of films. Again, won't be very visible in a photo other than the car will be nice and clean. Wax is NOT applied under the film but can be done over the film itself. If a paint treatment product like Opti-Coat Pro is installed over the paint (including the film), waxing is optional.
Yes, this. I had the Sonax Netshield applied on top of the Xpel Ultimate film and to all other painted surfaces (exterior and inside door and lift gate jams, wherever there was paint) as well as the wheels (inside/outside/barrels).

Because my car was new and I didn't let the dealer detail or touch it other than the PDI, there was minimal paint correction needed, just a couple of small surface scratches that needed to be buffed out and polished, along with whatever was left on the car's paint surface from its trip on the ship from Germany (I don't think they wash them at the port after they unload them from the ship, do they?) My detailer photographed these and the detail/film/coating process. I will post some of those images when I get them from him.

BTW, he works on all kinds of high-end cars . . . Ferraris, Lambos, etc., and he said that Audi's have some of the best paint in the business.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Clear Bra

Hello all,

I was curious on your thoughts of having the clear bra installed at approximately 20000 km. Should of got it done when I bough Q5 new but didn't. Totally regret it, but is it too late? There are a couple of chips in the hood, fascia and fenders look good. Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

A clear bra can be applied any time, but it won't repair damage which was already created. However, if your going to be doing more driving which might present issues to the paint there is no harm in protecting it with a clear bra. So if you want to apply one now, go for it.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by - B -
A clear bra can be applied any time, but it won't repair damage which was already created. However, if your going to be doing more driving which might present issues to the paint there is no harm in protecting it with a clear bra. So if you want to apply one now, go for it.
Exactly. But you'll DEFINITELY want to have a good detailer (or the clear bra installer) do a thorough paint correction before applying the clear bra. May as well just have the whole car detailed meticulously. Then you'll end up with paint that's as good as new, maybe better.