Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Collision

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collision

I did a search and I could not find exactly what I was looking for if this was posted some where else please point me in the right direction.

I took the Wife's q5 out to for a quick run the store. There is a section of road that has a really sharp bend with a concrete divider separating the lanes. Don't know exactly what happend but the car slide sideways and into the divider damaging the driver side lower part of the grill, where fog light area is with the plastic. The fog light still works but that whole piece is broken plastic it just looks like garbage.

Obviously the wife is pissed and I can see how something that should be cheap to fix costing a couple grand. She refuses to call the insurance company and place a claim so I am paying out of pocket. Anyone have any experience with using a collision shop as opposed to going to the dealer? Is the extra cost from the stealership worth it?'

This all just happned a few hours ago so I dont even have a quote of cost yet. But I would imagine that whole lower grill piece is probably one piece so the driver and passenger side quarter panels probably get replaced with it.

I am just guessing here. I can take a picture in the morning and attach it.

Any help or info would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by monstermorgan
I did a search and I could not find exactly what I was looking for if this was posted some where else please point me in the right direction.

I took the Wife's q5 out to for a quick run the store. There is a section of road that has a really sharp bend with a concrete divider separating the lanes. Don't know exactly what happend but the car slide sideways and into the divider damaging the driver side lower part of the grill, where fog light area is with the plastic. The fog light still works but that whole piece is broken plastic it just looks like garbage.

Obviously the wife is pissed and I can see how something that should be cheap to fix costing a couple grand. She refuses to call the insurance company and place a claim so I am paying out of pocket. Anyone have any experience with using a collision shop as opposed to going to the dealer? Is the extra cost from the stealership worth it?'

This all just happned a few hours ago so I dont even have a quote of cost yet. But I would imagine that whole lower grill piece is probably one piece so the driver and passenger side quarter panels probably get replaced with it.

I am just guessing here. I can take a picture in the morning and attach it.

Any help or info would be appreciated.
Just got to a decent autobody shop and they will be able to help you out. You may need to get the part painted, but if not...then it'll be far cheaper and you may be able to do it yourself. Without pics, it's hard to make recommendations.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, Its going to need to be replaced, the black plastic housing that sits in the painted part is all busted. I will get a picture up. But thank you for the recommendation that going with a good shop is ok.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 01-13-2016, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

anyone have any insight? It looks like that whole front bumper from passenger side to drive side is one piece and then the black piece inside of that needs to be replaced. The fog light still works But I am sure they will replace the whole unit just to charge more.

Anyone have an idea of how much I am in for?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

New bumper is roughly $900 delivered and paint/install another $5-600 depending on where you go.

Used grill should be pretty cheap if you can source one on eBay.

Not a bad time to go for a front s-line conversion. The bumpers cost roughly the same, but the lower grilles are the deciding factor - new they're ~$200 a piece, but if you can get a set used they'll be pretty cheap.

I converted to s-line front on my pre-FL car when I needed a front bumper respray myself.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yakev724
New bumper is roughly $900 delivered and paint/install another $5-600 depending on where you go.

Used grill should be pretty cheap if you can source one on eBay.

Not a bad time to go for a front s-line conversion. The bumpers cost roughly the same, but the lower grilles are the deciding factor - new they're ~$200 a piece, but if you can get a set used they'll be pretty cheap.

I converted to s-line front on my pre-FL car when I needed a front bumper respray myself.
Thanks for the info....I will run it by the wife. Got back from 3 shops are quoting just under 3 grand for the repair.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got back from 3 different places. All are quoting about the same amount with a 100 dollars of each other.

Bumper-1k
spoiler-360.00
paint.....259.00
bumper LT....379
absorber....70
fog lamp......121.00
frame..50
labor.....550

than all the taxes so just under 3 grand.

Going to call the dealership next see how much they are so I know if I am getting a deal or not.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

A lot of the indy shops use the same "estimating software" to get their price. Some will dicker on it, others won't. Some will give you a break, maybe 20%, for paying cash. Which the dealer won't. But the dealer should be using genuine Audi parts, Audi paint for a 100% dead match, and in theory is more familiar with all the wiring that may run across the nose.

Your wife may have a point about the insurance, depending on what you've got. One reported claim can be a 10-20% policy increase, and that continues for 4 years. (Three "renewals" as they stagger the calendar past your next one.)

So, $500 deductible? $2500 net? If the increase would be less than $600/year, it may pay to report. Which would also possibly give you a rental car for the week that it is on the shop. (Two day repair, often two more for a remake or touch-up...)

Another downside is that if you report the accident, it goes on a Carfax and an industry database. Places like Automax will knock at least $500 off the price of the car because it was involved in an accident, no matter how well it was fixed.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
A lot of the indy shops use the same "estimating software" to get their price. Some will dicker on it, others won't. Some will give you a break, maybe 20%, for paying cash. Which the dealer won't. But the dealer should be using genuine Audi parts, Audi paint for a 100% dead match, and in theory is more familiar with all the wiring that may run across the nose.

Your wife may have a point about the insurance, depending on what you've got. One reported claim can be a 10-20% policy increase, and that continues for 4 years. (Three "renewals" as they stagger the calendar past your next one.)

So, $500 deductible? $2500 net? If the increase would be less than $600/year, it may pay to report. Which would also possibly give you a rental car for the week that it is on the shop. (Two day repair, often two more for a remake or touch-up...)

Another downside is that if you report the accident, it goes on a Carfax and an industry database. Places like Automax will knock at least $500 off the price of the car because it was involved in an accident, no matter how well it was fixed.
I agree, they all use same software. The parts prices are probably the same, the difference is the shop labor rate.

Interesting, when you consider all the reasons not to report (accident surcharges, deductible, and loss of resale value) you might be better off not going through the insurance. Given all of that, it makes the argument to go for higher collision deductible and save money that way, keep the savings in the bank to pay for these minor repairs.

Quick Reply: Collision