Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cross bar question. Any non oem bar owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross bar question. Any non oem bar owners?

I snagged a kayak carrier for cheap. This kayak carrier is very expensive and I got it when I first bought the car. Low and behold it does not work with the factory racks because it requires 4-8 inches past the mounting feet to not have the carrier strike the side of the car when it lowers. I returned it since I had no desire to spending money on new bars.

Craigslist is the devil I found the carrier AND a 2 pairs of Thule cross bars both 53 and 47 inch set. I couldn't pass it up. I purchased the mounting feet kit from Thule. The 47" bars aren't of much use since they are about the size of the factory cross bars. If i ever need to use shorter bars ill use the audi ones. Yes I know I lose the sensor functionality in the aftermarket racks. Not too worried about it.

Anyway I mounted them in the same spots the oem racks are placed (the oem spots meet thules instructions for min spacing between front and back bars). However because these bars are longer in length it seems the back ones stick out further then the front ones. This doesn't seem to just be an optical illusion. Thule recommends measuring from the mounting foot to the tip of the bar on each side to match. I've gotten the front and the back within a few inches of each other but they aren't exactly the same. The bars themselves are 53 inches but no matter what I do the front and back mounting feet seem to be different width when attached to the side rails.

Does the side rail size/width taper at all as it moves down the car? Like not parrallel to each other perfectly? On The factory rack the rear rack is slightly shorter then the front. If I do my math correctly that means on the Thule rack the rear feet would need to be narrower which makes that specific bar appear longer then the front bar and make the measurement from mounting foot to bar end greater.

BTW as far as the bars go I like them a lot better then the factory ones. They are slimmer and quieter BUT they are a pain in the cocyx to get on and off since they require measuring and the feet are adjustable and dont lock into position unless on the car. So if you ever take them off the car you'll have to re measure all over again. So I don't think I'll ever take them off Haha. Thank god the kayak carrier can detach from the rack easy.

I've contacted Thule and haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by jdip; 06-20-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

One suggestion to the Thule racks. To make it easier to find the right spot to clamp the "foot" on the bar, first assemble the whole thing and get it fitting right. Then tape a piece of gaffer's tape (or other, your choice) and wrap it around the crossbar, just inside of where it contacts the pedestal. Next time you just slide the pedestal up to the band you've taped on. (Or painted, as you prefer.)

What I find a pain is that there's no good way to stow the crossbars in the car. I've been sorely tempted to get out powertools and improve that. Or start some drawings & send them out to an online machine shop, for better pedestal mounts.

Is your 'yak just tied to the bars? Or have you found decent attachment points on the car? I see folks using straps that go to a fender bolt, coming out of the sides of the hood, but I'd expect that to chafe the paint sooner or later.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess the new aero bars that are the updated versions of the ones I have use sliders on the inside of the foot to save your spot. Since the q5 doesn't have a "number" for the sliders you still have to spend time finding the equal or close to equal measurements. I found out I had outdated instructions and your supposed to use some of the top wind stripping and put it between the mounting foot in the bottom slot. That was still pretty useless.
And I actually have a kayak carrier and I use one of the loops with rubber that you close under the hood and the small strap sticks up to secure the bow line to. No risk of paint chaffing here. Took me a long time to find a kayak carrier that didn't put me at risk of slipping and scratching the car while loading my boat
Old 06-29-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Can I ask what specific kayak carrier and how those hood tie downs attach? I'd love to find one that can't do any damage.