Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"This one is bluetooth only, won't work with iOS"
I don't follow you . iOS supports Bluetooth. Bluetooth is hardware, it is OS-agnostic. Any OS that has the BT hardware and software stack, works with it. As the Apple OSes do. Now, your application software may not support BT, but that's not an OS problem.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately it isn't OS-agnostic - Apple does not support all the normal bluetooth protocols. Your bluetooth device won't connect to your phone - it has to be Wifi.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Apparently you're right about Apple not supporting BT data streams. It seems to be a little worse and more nefarious than that though. From what I'm seeing, the BT "Serial data" streams are locked out unless they are made with an encryption chip licensed by Apple, at a possible cost of $1 for the chip plus $4 to license each chip.

Sort of like the tamperproof [sic] security screws making sure you can't change an iPhone battery by yourself. Little fascists from Cupertino don't want you to do something, they're not gonna let you do it. Even if it is an accepted standard way of doing things.

When will they learn...
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good news, below WiFi OBD2 (iKKEGOL Vgate iCar 2 Mini) works fine with Carista iOS version.

Had one case where I had to unplug the OBD2 adapter to get it working again. Otherwise it was fine.

Originally Posted by hojbjerg
Just got an invite to test the iPhone app. Does anyone have a recommendation for a WiFi enabled OBD2 adapter besides the general recommendation provided on the Carista website?

Was impatient and ordered an iKKEGOL Vgate iCar 2 Mini OBD2: Amazon.com : iKKEGOL Vgate iCar 2 Mini OBD2 OBD II WiFi Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for IOS iPhone iPad PC with Switch Auto Sleep?Black+Orange? : Electronics

Last edited by hojbjerg; 01-27-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my invitation the other day but I have been unable to download the app. Whenever I click the link it just takes me to the App Store for test flight. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monkeychops
I got my invitation the other day but I have been unable to download the app. Whenever I click the link it just takes me to the App Store for test flight. Anyone have any suggestions?
Have you installed TestFlight? You must have that installed first, because the Carista app is still in Beta.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rob40wilson03
Have you installed TestFlight? You must have that installed first, because the Carista app is still in Beta.
Yeah I have it installed and it just keeps opening TestFlight in the App Store. hopefully I can get it working, if not I will just have to wait until it's out of beta.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I have it installed and it just keeps opening TestFlight in the App Store. hopefully I can get it working, if not I will just have to wait until it's out of beta.
You opening the email in an app on your iPhone? Go to a web browser and click the link. I had to do that with my Gmail account and iphone 6
Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
You opening the email in an app on your iPhone? Go to a web browser and click the link. I had to do that with my Gmail account and iphone 6
Yeah that was the issue, was trying to open through the gmail app.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah that was the issue, was trying to open through the gmail app.
So all good now?

Quick Reply: Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!