Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carista

Some technical info: we recently added some logic in Carista to test the device's support for the ELM327 instructions that we use and display the error message that you got if they fail; these new fake devices don't support the ELM327 v1.4 instruction set (they're far from it), even though they claim to be v2.1.

I am getting a brand new Q5 in a week or so and I stumbled across this thread a few weeks back and took a chance and ordered an OBDII WiFi device from one of the links on the Carista website and it seems to work fine on my Mazda 3 as a basic code reader and the Carista IOS application.

My question is:
Would Carista do the basic code reading if my hardware was one of the fake ones described above? Everything worked fine except my Mazda 3 is not a supported vehicle therefore there is not much you can do to try and program in it.

BTW, the reader I bought is the "DoDoCool Wi-Fi ELM 327 OBD 2 II Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner" and it got to my home in Canada from China in 9 days - pretty impressive.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

gti-
Thanks for reminding me. But I'm afraid I'm a h a r d customer. I don't want to push a button each time, much less remember which new button to push. I just want the damned thing programmed my way--not someone else's.
I'm the same way with the parking brake. I was trained to always use it, and I do. So when I get in and hit the start button and then move my fingers up to drop the parking brake--I expect it to DROP ON COMMAND. Nope. Can't do that, it won't release until the engine has finished starting. And by then, yes, my fickle fingers are already on the steering wheel or gearshift and need to waste another whole hand/arm movement. PITA. Even though my foot is already on the brake, so the parking brake is redundant and useless at that point.
This car is too clever for me.

Rockout-
A perfect or near-perfect copy, counterfeit or not, of anything, works the same way the real thing does right?
Carista isn't Apple, it isn't checking for licensed chips and codes, as Apple does with Bluetooth data devices. $5 goes to Apple for each of those devices and without a special chip and code, Apple devices won't take Bluetooth *data* streams, just audio.
So do you have a counterfeit? Who knows. If it works, that's all she wrote.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
So do you have a counterfeit? Who knows. If it works, that's all she wrote.
Thanks for your reply. My device works but in a limited test environment. My original question was in reference to Carista's statement that they somehow test the device for command compatibility - would that have done in my limited controlled test? I will be happy if I get full functionality on my new Q5 but it is impossible to know at this point since I don't have my vehicle as of yet.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Again, I don't think it matters. Carista is not looking for a proprietary chip (like an Apple BT chip) or for an encrypted data key that goes along with it (to enable that bt chip).

It is looking for something that "quacks like a duck", nothing more. This is an open standard, i.e. not encrypted or "locked" somehow. There's no physical reason the real devices can't be perfectly counterfeited, so how would who know?

Ever heard of a kid giving a bartender a counterfeit ID?(G) Right. Same same, if it quacks like a duck...
Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Again, I don't think it matters. Carista is not looking for a proprietary chip (like an Apple BT chip) or for an encrypted data key that goes along with it (to enable that bt chip).

It is looking for something that "quacks like a duck", nothing more. This is an open standard, i.e. not encrypted or "locked" somehow. There's no physical reason the real devices can't be perfectly counterfeited, so how would who know?

Ever heard of a kid giving a bartender a counterfeit ID?(G) Right. Same same, if it quacks like a duck...
I don't really care if it is counterfeit - I am merely wondering if it will work on the Q5 based on the limited testing I have already done.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In theory there are standards for the OBD2 bus, and in theory, the Q5 and Mazda will supply the exact same voltage and power, differing only in the codes they send. Which should be "just data" as far as the widget is concerned. So yes, it probably will work--but that's based on assuming the Mazda and Q5 are both adhering to the same standard. Assuming anything about an Audi is a gamble, you'd need full specifications of the port on both specific cars to be reasonably sure that both implement the OBD2 bus exactly the same way. They probably do, but that's still an assumption.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can it disable DRL dimming when parking light or low beam is on?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audio_video_guy
Can it disable DRL dimming when parking light or low beam is on?
Yes, but only when parking lights are on.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RallyQ
Yes, but only when parking lights are on.
That still works for me. I think it's cheaper than going VAG COM route as I need something simple (control window/sunroof open/close with keyfob, disabled DRL dimming, using fog as DRL).

So we can set it so it won't dim when parking lights are on, but still dim when low beam is on? Did I understand it right?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audio_video_guy
That still works for me. I think it's cheaper than going VAG COM route as I need something simple (control window/sunroof open/close with keyfob, disabled DRL dimming, using fog as DRL).

So we can set it so it won't dim when parking lights are on, but still dim when low beam is on? Did I understand it right?
Don't think so. I may be incorrect but I read RallyQ's response to indicate that dimming of the DRL can be enabled with parking lights only, not with Low Beams.

Quick Reply: Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!