Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dealer was in an accident in our new Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer was in an accident in our new Q5

The dealership took position of our new Q5, less than a week after we bought it, to replace the 5F module in our MMI system as it was freezing up. They had it for about a week, as we do not live near the dealer (about 2 hours away). They received the part, replaced it and were in route to deliver the vehicle back to us during a snow storm. The vehicle in front of the dealership driver spun out, and he wasn't able to stop, and hit it. Subsequently, the vehicle behind also struck our car. The dealership service manager called me to let me know what had happened and immediately said they were looking for a replacement vehicle for us, which I think was the right thing to do. They have identified an almost identical vehicle- color, interior, package, options, etc. I think the only difference looks like the replacement includes wheel locks. The only issue is that it won't arrive for a few more weeks. We have been driving their loaner this whole time, another Q5, but it is not the same as ours- smaller engine, no crossbars, no Sat, and other little things.

Has anyone experienced, or heard of, a similar situation? I think the dealership is doing the right thing, but was just curious about other's experiences, and if there is something we should be aware of, or make sure we ask about. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If this was a financed or leased vehicle, I would ask the dealer to make that months payment at the minimum.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Honestly, if this was to happen in Canada, you'd be waiting for the damaged vehicle to be fixed. I highly doubt they would replace the vehicle. So, from my perspective, you are doing great.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 55cadillacking
Honestly, if this was to happen in Canada, you'd be waiting for the damaged vehicle to be fixed. I highly doubt they would replace the vehicle. So, from my perspective, you are doing great.
I'd guess that the insurance company totaled it.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the replacement. Are they covering any taxes and fees that need to be paid to the DMV or state?
Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I realize this is an upsetting thing to happen - but honestly it sounds like they're treating you as well as anyone could expect.

Sure you could be mad that you have to drive a premium brand suv for a couple of weeks that is not quite as nice as the one you will ultimately have... but wouldn't you be happier not being mad?
Old 04-24-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As I said, I think they are doing the right thing, just wanted to make sure there isn't something I'm missing. Thanks all!
Old 04-26-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by porttac
I think there is something the dealer is missing....like adding a year of free gasoline or something along that line.
No, that's just greedy. The dealer is being completely fair with their actions/offer. This is the type of dealer that wants to maintain a relationship with their customer. Why would you want to betray their good faith offer?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
No, that's just greedy. The dealer is being completely fair with their actions/offer. This is the type of dealer that wants to maintain a relationship with their customer. Why would you want to betray their good faith offer?

I agree. Stuff happens. The dealership did what it had to do - (but honestly anything less would be unacceptable). I'm sure they are not thrilled with now owning a brand new car with damage. If the accident were the fault of their driver, maybe I'd think differently about it. If they wanted to toss in another free oil change or a complimentary detailing, that would be nice, certainly above and beyond, but again, they are acting fairly and appropriately. A year's worth of gas? I think that's asking too much.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Since it does appear that they are treating you fairly, if you're reasonable now my guess is they would probably treat you "fairly" when it comes to negotiating the price of your next Audi. That could be a lot more valuable than even the cost of some gas.

Quick Reply: Dealer was in an accident in our new Q5