Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dynavin DVN-A5 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynavin DVN-A5 Installed

Back when we ordered our SQ5, we decided to get it without factory Nav, planning to install the Dynavin unit in order to get a MirrorLink setup (which is what my wife really wanted...to mirror her phone similar to how AirPlay on AppleTV works). So I ordered the Dynavin headunit along with the VLink MirrorLink piece and a rearview camera and finally got around to installing it.

First of all, let me start by saying that the included instructions are some of the worst I've ever seen. Mostly generic showing images that are from some of their other units, usually not applicable to the Audi specific headunit. Wires are labeled but not always clear.

Install was long and frustrating at times. Got all the wires run and have the USB, iPod/iPhone and MirrorLink hooks-ups routed to the glovebox.

A few issues popped up: airbag light was tripped, easy reset. I also don't have sound coming from any of the apps from the headunit (AUX for MirrorLink, iPod, USB Videos) but its because I am waiting on an AMI-->RCA plug from Audi since you need to route the sound as input. Hopefully I get that to work or I may have to revert to a 3.5mm Aux cable. We'll see.

VLink MirrorLink install wasn't too bad. It was the only piece that needed its own new power source (the main Dynavin headunit just plugged into the factory wires including can bus) so I ran that from driver side fuse box.

Here is my review on it all...
<UL><LI>Touchscreen interface seems easy to use and pretty intuitive although some of the settings and hidden setting menus are not easy to understand. Trial and error</LI>
<LI>Its wired into can bus so steering wheel controls work. Hitting the iNav button toggles between the Dynavin nav and the main homepage allowing you to go back to the main car interface. Pretty easy to use</LI>
<LI>Dynavin iPod app is decent but nothing special. Will most likely just mirror the iPhone using Vlink instead (once I figure out my sound issue)</LI>
<LI>Screen is advertised as 7" and appears bigger, but the actual image on the screen is still the same as the Non-Nav SQ5 so not full 7" actual display. Still searching settings to see if I can change that</LI>
<LI>I got a new frame for the monitor from a Nav SQ5 with the larger 7" opening. You can see in the pics that some of the silver frame of the monitor is showing. Not sure I will keep it or go back to the 6.5" opening since the display isn't full 7" anyway</LI>
<LI>MirrorLink is definitely the best feature/add-on. You simply pull up your phone, go to any website, Pandora, GoogleMaps, whatever...and just mirror to the car just like AppleTV. </LI>
<LI>USB dongle is great. I can grab a 64GB USB and load it with all sorts of movies and music. Video in motion works so you can watch anything you want </LI>
<LI>Nav interface is actually pretty good. Very easy to navigate with great info on routes (see image below). The maps it came with are limited though and don't have enough point of interest (couldn't find Starbucks for example). They have a website that lets you download additional 3D buildings and POI's and its cheap so no big deal there. I'll play with it</LI></UL>
Definitely an involved job and not for a beginner. Still not all 100% but getting there. If anyone decides to tackle this, let me know and I will share all the details I can.

Overall result is great though. Total investment is around $1000 and I have touchscreen, Nav, USB movies/music, iPhone Mirroring, camera, etc.

Here are some pics of the progress from this past weekend.

Mirroring from an iPhone

Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quite a project and a system. Is all that stuff legal on a device viewable to the driver - seems like it might be fairly distracting.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Michael92673
Quite a project and a system. Is all that stuff legal on a device viewable to the driver - seems like it might be fairly distracting.
Ugh, I hate people like this. This unit is exactly the same as the OEM one. Just because you would watch Paul Blart Mall Cop while driving to work doesn't mean everyone else would.

OP, great system. The install sounds complicated. I look at my nav and back up camera and think audi is selling a 4 yr old system on a new car. I wish there were more nav alternatives.

Every time I back up, it's so pixelated I think I'm playing Mario brothers. I rented a 2014 ford escape a while ago and some elements of the interface were better.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5brad
Every time I back up, it's so pixelated I think I'm playing Mario brothers.
My rear camera is rather clear, even in low light conditions at night. You may want to check your camera if it is becoming really pixelated, especially if it is as bad as a NES game.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting glovebox:

Is your car a '15? or a '14?
It looks like you have a storage cubby inside your glovebox that my '14 SQ5 does not.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine is a '14.
If you're looking at the little shelf on the upper left corner, that actually has a component there that I removed to route wires. That whole compartment has a box in it with the AMI connection/plug.

It looks like this
Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hyboost
Mine is a '14.
If you're looking at the little shelf on the upper left corner, that actually has a component there that I removed to route wires. That whole compartment has a box in it with the AMI connection/plug.

It looks like this
Not sure about JaXeN's S, but my TDI (early MY2014) doesn't have any cubbies at all in the glovebox. There's a light where the left cubby is in your shot, and a net where the right cubby is (presumably that's where a media player would go for AMI usage), and my AMI connection is in the right wall of the glovebox. Other than the small net and then the clips on the door, there's no storage other than just stacking everything up on the bottom of the glovebox.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
Not sure about JaXeN's S, but my TDI (early MY2014) doesn't have any cubbies at all in the glovebox. There's a light where the left cubby is in your shot, and a net where the right cubby is (presumably that's where a media player would go for AMI usage), and my AMI connection is in the right wall of the glovebox. Other than the small net and then the clips on the door, there's no storage other than just stacking everything up on the bottom of the glovebox.
My configuration is the same as you described.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

come on now, ease up on the tough guy routine. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Many grats on a very ambitious project very well executed. Looks like you have an excellent system to enjoy and benefit from while the rest of us deal with the idiosyncrasies of Audi's MMI. Well done, Steve.

Quick Reply: Dynavin DVN-A5 Installed