Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Exterior colors & maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior colors & maintenance

I drive a Brilliant Black car and it's beautiful, but so difficult to keep clean as it shows dirt, swirl marks, and water spots easily. I'm looking for a stunning color that's also low maintenance, and I like white and dark grey. From your experience is the Q5 easier to keep looking good in white (ibis/glacier) or dark grey (Daytona/lava)?
Old 05-16-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say that white shows dirt slightly more than grey. However, the Q5 looks stunning in white. Granted, this is personal preference, but I think white looks better than grey on the Q5.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Cuvee Silver is the most maintenance free color in my opinion. I previously color on a Q5 was Quartz Grey.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is always so subjective. I had a tough time deciding on the color for my new '15 3.0T. I choose Daytona Gray, but Lava Gray was a close second. I had Phantom Black previously, and really liked that. Mythos Black didn't have enough metallic like the Phantom, so it didn't seem too different from Brilliant Black which made me think I'd see scratches and swirls, etc. quickly. You may want to check out Utopia Blue or Moonlight Blue too. You can't go wrong with any color!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As someone who is finicky about my cars...

Black is so beautiful when it is clean, but it is a huge commitment to keep it right. If you are going with white, I suggest the Glacier White as it is infused with metal flake, which is a boon for hiding swirls, etc. Ibis white is unforgiving. Daytona Grey or other metal flake greys, such as Florett Silver are beautiful as they highlight the surface detail of the car, but are pretty forgiving with respect to dust, etc.

In addition, when you are waxing, drying, or in any way pushing cloth/microfibre, etc across your car, refrain from using a circular motion. Doing so places micro scratches in an arc, which will then show the scratches from any angle. If you wipe back and forth in a straight line, any scratches have parallel orientation and are thus visible across a more narrow angle of viewing. Remember, paint is a sacrificial surface and washing, drying, detailing are accelerating the process. Only waxing is additive. Be wet and gentle - no dry cloths, ever. Every few Audi's I break down and get a black car (2009 A4 Cabriolet, 2001 TT Quattro 225hp) but have fits keeping it clean. The latest beast is below. I still do my best, but it gets flogged through the mountains every weekend. The car was filthy in the image below, but still looks good.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a midnight blue Q5 with OptiCoat Pro. After half a year, the paint still looks really good and the shine is amazing. Yes, it gets dirty. Yes, there a few scratches here and there, but not from washing. Like eric said up top, straight line motion when wiping.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Cuvee Silver is the most maintenance free color in my opinion. I previously color on a Q5 was Quartz Grey.
Cuvee is hard to beat at hiding dirt. We constantly get complements on how clean the car looks even when we know it's not. Surprisingly, even the the wheels stay clean on our 15 ... brake dust just doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Nothing like my 13 S4, which shows brake dust just about as soon as you drive it after a wash.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on the Cuvee for hiding dust and dirt.

Unless Audi has changed it, the color on the web site and in brochures, looks nothing like the actual color. Not sure why that is.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I also had a Quartz Grey and then a Cuvee Silver. Both were easy to keep clean, but Cuvee is definitely the easiest.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by eric strauss
Black is so beautiful when it is clean, but it is a huge commitment to keep it right. If you are going with white, I suggest the Glacier White as it is infused with metal flake, which is a boon for hiding swirls, etc. Ibis white is unforgiving. Daytona Grey or other metal flake greys, such as Florett Silver are beautiful as they highlight the surface detail of the car, but are pretty forgiving with respect to dust, etc.

In addition, when you are waxing, drying, or in any way pushing cloth/microfibre, etc across your car, refrain from using a circular motion. Doing so places micro scratches in an arc, which will then show the scratches from any angle. If you wipe back and forth in a straight line, any scratches have parallel orientation and are thus visible across a more narrow angle of viewing. Remember, paint is a sacrificial surface and washing, drying, detailing are accelerating the process. Only waxing is additive. Be wet and gentle - no dry cloths, ever. Every few Audi's I break down and get a black car (2009 A4 Cabriolet, 2001 TT Quattro 225hp) but have fits keeping it clean. The latest beast is below. I still do my best, but it gets flogged through the mountains every weekend. The car was filthy in the image below, but still looks good.

Happy Motoring

Eric
That photo of your RS5 is what convinced me to go with Daytona on my new 3.0T Q5. Yours is a stunning car!

Quick Reply: Exterior colors & maintenance