Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Floor Jack Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Redd, it does seem like there's a pretty high risk of quality issues with HF. There's a lot of positive feedback on their floor jacks, although I'm now questioning things a bit given their very unimpressive 90 day warranty. If I get a Craftsman, at least I get a year plus an additional year of warranty from Amex.

@Q5InDC, the jacks you linked to both seem solid, but holy crap are they heavy at almost 100 lbs! Portability (or lack thereof) is not necessarily a priority, but those may be heavier than I really want to deal with. I probably need to go to a store to try it out.

Last edited by riceboy22; 06-22-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

It can be inconvenient, but a good source for floor jacks can also be yard sales. When someone is moving, or cleaning out the old garage stuff, floor jacks are big, heavy, and ugly, so they tend to go cheap. And of course the really good ones, when just used in a home, last forever. Or just need a couple of cheap O-rings to make them new.

If you want "not so damned heavy" then you get bumped into "aluminum racing jack". Yes, really, they do a LeMans style start with everyone jumping onto their jacks and taking off at the green signal.(G)

I give Citroen credit for their unholy leak-prone whole car hydraulic systems, which put one hydraulic jack near each wheel, so the car could raise itself when and as needed. (Unless it has the inevitable pressure leak, anywhere, which crippled all the systems at once.(G)
Old 06-22-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
It can be inconvenient, but a good source for floor jacks can also be yard sales. When someone is moving, or cleaning out the old garage stuff, floor jacks are big, heavy, and ugly, so they tend to go cheap. And of course the really good ones, when just used in a home, last forever. Or just need a couple of cheap O-rings to make them new.

If you want "not so damned heavy" then you get bumped into "aluminum racing jack". Yes, really, they do a LeMans style start with everyone jumping onto their jacks and taking off at the green signal.(G)

I give Citroen credit for their unholy leak-prone whole car hydraulic systems, which put one hydraulic jack near each wheel, so the car could raise itself when and as needed. (Unless it has the inevitable pressure leak, anywhere, which crippled all the systems at once.(G)
There's not much in the way of yard sales in Manhattan LOL. I get the impression though that a lightly used 15 year old floor jack is probably going to be way better made than whatever made in China product I'm about to buy.

I'm planning to just buy it and keep it in my in-laws' garage in the NJ, but I don't want them being like WTF is this 100 lbs monstrosity taking up storage space.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd bet there are more yard sales near the inlaws in NJ. Grab a pennysaver from their supermart, head out early and browse before the next visit.

Of course in the right parts of Manhattan, you can just clean up the jack, repaint it, and hang it prominently on the wall. And swear it is ART, and damned expensive art, too.

Put a $4500 price tag on the corner and you might even make a profit. (VBG)
Old 06-23-2016, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I am just thrilled if I manage to find a floorjack that has swivel wheels that actually swivel and turn . . . you would think that would be in the Product Requirements Document somewhere?
Old 06-24-2016, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would guess that requires steel ball bearing races on the wheels, which would substantially increase the price if they were durable, smooth, and sturdy enough to take the weight. Then they'd add some risk of the jack moving while being used. And most of the folks swapping out 30-40# wheels might just not be interested in that kind of frill, they'd just manhandle the jack in place.

Just guessing.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 for a Harbor Freight jack. I wouldn't use one if I used it everyday but for home use they are just fine. I've been using mine for 10+ years with no issues. I also use wood blocks but I think i'm going to pick up puck as they are pretty inexpensive.