Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Front License Plate in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make it mandatory for front and back plates in all states. It makes sense every which way you look at it. Not having it is just for vanity.

I thought the driver had been going around for a year in the car thinking he didnt actually need the front plate? Anyway, can I go to Audi in Jersey and buy a brand new Q5 and have front bracket delete option? If so, it isn't Audi's fault I think. If I was the man in Audi I would actually do it for nothing though if only for customer service and brand loyalty.

My initial comment stands though. Make it mandatory everywhere for front and back plates. $1000 fine!!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
Make it mandatory for front and back plates in all states. It makes sense every which way you look at it. Not having it is just for vanity.

I thought the driver had been going around for a year in the car thinking he didnt actually need the front plate? Anyway, can I go to Audi in Jersey and buy a brand new Q5 and have front bracket delete option? If so, it isn't Audi's fault I think. If I was the man in Audi I would actually do it for nothing though if only for customer service and brand loyalty.

My initial comment stands though. Make it mandatory everywhere for front and back plates. $1000 fine!!
Hey! Us owners in PA don't want that ugly front plate, especially that horrible Q5 front plate "up high" holder!!! Maybe it should be mandatory that all states have rear plates only, saves aluminum and costs..............
Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, it's not just a simple mount...it's an entire bracket that needs to be swapped out. if ecs tuning is charging $200 for it, i don't want to know what the dealership charges. therein lies the reason why the dealer won't just swap it out for you out of "courtesty." and by not asking for it before the car was driven off the lot, you've basically lost all negotiating powers.

Audi Q5 3.0T - 8R0807285MT94 - Front License Plate Bracket - Glossy Black - ES#2577473
Old 05-27-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Hey! Us owners in PA don't want that ugly front plate, especially that horrible Q5 front plate "up high" holder!!! Maybe it should be mandatory that all states have rear plates only, saves aluminum and costs..............
Agree 100%. The front plate is ugly. Ive lived in three states and none of them require a front plate. I think im in florida till they put me in a hole so Im safe...

Other brands do handle the front plate a bit better. My previous Toyota, Dodge and Nissan all came with brackets that you could either install or not install.

19 states dont require front plates...

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/1...icense-plates/
Old 05-27-2015, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Actually, regardless of what some clerk in NJ said, the OP is protected under federal laws. Among them is the Magnusson-Moss Act, which requires that all goods sold in the US be "fit for purpose" or "suitable" for the specific purpose that they were sold.

In this case the "purpose" was as a motor car registered in the state of New Jersey, and that purpose is probably confirmed by the dealer selling it in NJ, charging a fee for NJ tags or registration, putting a NJ plate and registration sticker on the car, etcetera.

So under federal consumer protection laws, the car is required to be suitable for use in NJ, and it cannot be legally used in NJ as it was sold. Especially if the dealer DELETED a required piece of equipment.

It would take a brainless dealer (and many are greedy but very few are brainless) to want to pay their attorney to go to small claims court over this. The attorney would have to be equally brainless, as even if the small claims court rules incorrectly, there are federal consumer protection agencies that can and will step in. And once they step in, they have the authority to say "By the way, we're going to review all your sales, you can send the truck full of paperwork to us at...." and oh boy, is that going to cost a lot of money.

Don't let the ****** intimidate you further. Offer them one carrot--and then get out the stick, which Uncle Sam has so conveniently given you. Magnusson Moss was passed in 1975 and it is only one of several similar federal consumer protection acts that were passed because some industries--notoriously including the new car sales industry--were so abusive to consumers.

A call of letter to your local assemblyman or similar low-level politician's office might also get them to make a phone call on your behalf, and that could also motivate the dealer, at no cost to you. That's what these guys love to do, because they're always up for election.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Pope, that's why the US is a Federal Republic. You have both federal and state rights, and in this case, even if there aren't any NJ laws protecting the OP, there are federal laws. In the 1950's if you did not have your oil changed BY THE DEALER, they would say your engine warranty was voided. This behavior continued into the 60's when the federal courts got involved, which is why you can now have your oil changed any way you please, and the dealer must prove that cased an engine failure, or else it is still under warranty. Per federal court rulings and orders, regardless of state laws.

You don't have to be an attorney to follow how the courts are ruling and have been ruling, or to know how consumer protection laws have come to be developed and applied.

And, as you really should know but probably don't, most JUDGES are not atorneys either. Not the state ones, not the federal ones. Not the elected or appointed ones. And yet, somehow, they often know the laws. Not always, because then there wouldn't be so may appeals. But even on the US Supreme Court, no one has to be a lawyer to be a Justice and pronounce the law.

The "purpose" of a car can be many things, but when it is sold in normal business, to a normal civilian customer, with normal state road registration tags, the "purpose" is transportation on the state roads, in accordance with all state regulations.

Any idiot who tries to bend his neck and say "No, it might be a replacement for his lawn jockey" is a troll at best. Joey, go back under a rock if you can't be of any help and don't want to withhold that nonsense.

I'll just use the user control panel to make you disappear. Please feel free to do the same.

Really, you guys ought to try reading the newspapers for forty or fifty years, and learning how this country works. And can be MADE to work when someone tries to screw someone else.

Last edited by Redd; 05-27-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts
Default People need to stay on topic

Guys, if someone wants to PM me with the part number(s) needed to help out Bhagu and his Q5, I'll add them to the post.

thanks.