Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Glacier White Metallic vs. Ibis White

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frissen
I have Ibis on the Q5 nonetheless I ordered Glacier on an A1 the car arrived and I couldn't take it since the economy is so good :/ but I did like it a lot, both Ibis and/or Glacier are fantastic shades of white and it comes down to personal choice
I agree it's a personal decision. I chose the Glacier because I like the blue tint. Whatever makes your heart beat faster...get that.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I like to think of the Ibis vs. Glacier like regular Vanilla vs. French Vanilla.

They're both vanilla, but at the end of the day one is clearly better than the other. (pssst, it's the Glacier/French one ;-))

It's all subjective of course. :-)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went for the Ibis White over the Glacier for several reasons; Ibis, being a solid will make those little stone chips one always gets far easier to make disappear. Ibis seems to me to be more sporty, if you will, and I think the S-Line Plus package will lend itself better to the solid white paint. Glacier reminds me of a Lexus 300 sedan I owned over a decade ago and it was the most boring car I ever owned....
Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gossip Girl
Ps not trading in any of my cars...trading a BMW. I am trying to think of an acronym for BMW that reflects how often they break. Any ideas?
I remember BMW standing for "Break My Wallet"
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi and BMW reliability seem to be about equal these days. Almost everyone appears to be improving their vehicles.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Audi and BMW reliability seem to be about equal these days. Almost everyone appears to be improving their vehicles.
That's what I thought too until I bought a recent model BMW. BMW does mean break my wallet. Audis are more reliable, and way more fun to drive these days.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gossip Girl
That's what I thought too until I bought a recent model BMW. BMW does mean break my wallet. Audis are more reliable, and way more fun to drive these days.
That is a somewhat biased if not uneducated opinion, and sounds like you purchased a used BMW that was out of warranty, otherwise it wouldn't cost you a dime. I've owned 4 BMWs (3 of them purchased new) and while I cannot say either brand was more or less reliable, I will point out the fact that whatever warranty or maintenance service was necessary, BMW took care of everything no questions asked. Audi on the other hand declined to fix under warranty an interior trim panel that was falling off at around 20k on the odometer, citing it's only covered for the first 12k miles. Not exactly a premium brand experience there. They finally took care of it, but only after multiple and somewhat time consuming efforts of writing to AOA. With BMW, I got a full brake job, wiper blades and other maintenance related parts and labor free of charge. Try that with Audi. Even if you dish out extra dough for Audicare, you still only get fluid and filter changes, while the advisers try to sell you other "recommended" services. Some say BMW calculates the cost of full maintenance into vehicle's price, and while I agree it has to come from somewhere, they do an outstanding job keeping their stickers competitive. All used cars require costly repairs when parts fail. It's hit or miss, especially with German brands. I'm sure there's plenty of Audi owners who had to foot a big repair bill past warranty.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Taking a general look at JD Power and Consumer Reports both brands and specific models are pretty close in reliability and seem to be on the upswing in that area. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either new and probably wouldn't keep either (or any other brand for that matter) beyond the factory warranty period.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Saw a Glacier white on a S4 in Chandler AZ a couple weeks ago- nice but the car was dirty so not a fair comparison. But not like the old pearl white from many years ago. I loved that paint!

Like Ibis too but debating on a SQ5 or waiting to see what the Macan looks like...
Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 2 more weeks of waiting to go through, so I just went looking for Glacier white photo's and ran across this thread...

I went with Glacier cause I really like the cold/blue/gray look + the contrast with the Sline Plus Package..

Mark P/Soonerfan.. you two should post more pictures into this thread of your two respective vehicles..

In direct sunlight it is hard to distinguish the two..

Ibis further away, Glacier Close Up:

Ibis further away, Glacier Close Up:

Glacier Left Vs Ibis Right:

One of Each.. and Very hard to tell them apart..

Ibis left and Glacier right:

2 Glacier White Pics(Mark P's Car):

Soonerfans Ibis:

A good video to show the differences in Ibis Vs Glacier..

Quick Reply: Glacier White Metallic vs. Ibis White