Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Glow plug light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow plug light

Went out the other day and when I tried to start the engine, it turned over once but wouldn't start. Started on the 2nd try. Then noticed the glow plug indicator flashing. Dropped it off at the dealer waiting to hear back. Service writer said it shouldn't be driven until they check it out - "glow plug is like the spark plug, wouldn't work right." 30 something thousand miles. Keep ya posted.....
Old 05-20-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
Went out the other day and when I tried to start the engine, it turned over once but wouldn't start. Started on the 2nd try. Then noticed the glow plug indicator flashing. Dropped it off at the dealer waiting to hear back. Service writer said it shouldn't be driven until they check it out - "glow plug is like the spark plug, wouldn't work right." 30 something thousand miles. Keep ya posted.....
Bet it is the high pressure fuel pump.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Bet it is the high pressure fuel pump.
That's what I've been reading. Let you know when I get in back. Got a 2.0 q5 loaner. Love the big tires for the crappy streets here. Seems quieter too than my diesel.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and if it's the HPFP (my bet too), please let us know what the cost would have been to fix out of warranty. Really just curious to know if it destroyed the rest of the fuel system. TIA
Old 05-21-2016, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by brutus23079
...and if it's the HPFP (my bet too), please let us know what the cost would have been to fix out of warranty. Really just curious to know if it destroyed the rest of the fuel system. TIA
👍🏿👍🏿
Old 05-23-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

so i haven't picked up the car yet, but the advisor says the glow plug light staying lit was caused by fuel flow issue with the diesel fuel filter. they went ahead and did 35k service early because of that. they are suppose to have saved the diagnostic's for me. think i was about 33k miles.

Last edited by Mrchntmarine; 05-23-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Which begs the question, which company's diesel do you fill up with the most? Could just be bad luck, or it could be an unusually dirty diesel supplier or even a single fuel station. It would be nice if we had Top Tier diesel standards to go along with the current gasoline ones. I use Top Tier stations, but AFAIK the designation doesn't carry over to diesel. I just figure hey, if they care about their gas quality, hopefully they care about their diesel quality as well. Then from those Top Tier stations, I use the station with the highest turnover. All old news to you I'm guessing. Thanks for the update! Good info to tuck away for the future...
Old 05-24-2016, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I try to use Exxon or shell but do fill up a lot at Walmart which has a high turnover in diesel - it's closer for me. Maybe no more fill ups there?? Hard to tell what caused the issue. Not sure what the code p008700 means and not sure what item B is as I never told them anything about a flashing meter engine light - don't even know what that is??? Deals says changing fuel filter in the early service fixed issue. See attached receipt.
Attached Thumbnails Glow plug light-image.jpeg  
Old 05-24-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

0 cost to me.....
Old 05-25-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Good to hear you are OK now. Glad it wasn't your fuel pump. Perhaps VW/Audi should design larger fuel filters to deal with the fuel quality we seem to face.

What was your new car delivery date? My was Oct 2013 and I had bad fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Glow plug light