Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 2506

Default Gonna be switching cars

Have not been back here on AudiWorld in over a year - been otherwise preoccupied. But my 3 year lease is up on my 2009 Q5. Originally, I wanted to buy it out, but for me, at this time in my life (downsizing a bit) the payments would be too high for my budget. And I don't want to get into a high $$ lease again.
As an aside, I wish I could afford to buy it from Audi Financial myself because this is by far the best car/SUV I have ever owned. A few problems initially - that Audi repaired, but otherwise, the most solid, well built drive for the money around.
It's got 33 k miles on it and had all the Audi services - I even had oil changed every 5k, instead of 10k.
So, I am considering selling privately. I;m selling for a few thousand less than values I see listed on the net, as I want to sell sooner rather than hold out for a higher price. Where is the best place to offer it for sale? In the papers? Internet? Forums?

Bob M
bob m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 235141

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob m View Post
Have not been back here on AudiWorld in over a year - been otherwise preoccupied. But my 3 year lease is up on my 2009 Q5. Originally, I wanted to buy it out, but for me, at this time in my life (downsizing a bit) the payments would be too high for my budget. And I don't want to get into a high $$ lease again.
As an aside, I wish I could afford to buy it from Audi Financial myself because this is by far the best car/SUV I have ever owned. A few problems initially - that Audi repaired, but otherwise, the most solid, well built drive for the money around.
It's got 33 k miles on it and had all the Audi services - I even had oil changed every 5k, instead of 10k.
So, I am considering selling privately. I;m selling for a few thousand less than values I see listed on the net, as I want to sell sooner rather than hold out for a higher price. Where is the best place to offer it for sale? In the papers? Internet? Forums?

Bob M
internet, forum, newspaper would be best. it would of been better if the car was purchased instead of leased....since the car was leased how come your considering selling privately? correct me if i read your statement wrong.
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 105517

yeah, if your lease is up, just turn it in.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member

your actually better off buying the car than to lease. the car will be payment free other than insurance and excise tax. But as for leasing your pretty much setting up a plan for yourself to keep paying for a car.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 235306

Wait are you asking if you should sell the car that you are currently leasing? Is that possible?
JSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 235683

Default Lease vs purchase

This is always a difficult choice so many variables, but if you love it buy it, if not try it.
nytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 167682

these cars held their values well so buying it out seems to be an excellent idea.

09' Audi Q5 3.2 Premium + (Lease Return) 12' Audi Q5 2.0t Premium + 14' Audi Q5 TDi S-Line
09' Ducati Mosnter 696 (Upgraded to) 12' Ducati Monster 796
2013 BMW S1000rr
2010 BMW 335d
2010 VW Jetta TDI

Coolieman1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSING View Post
Wait are you asking if you should sell the car that you are currently leasing? Is that possible?
i dont think its possible unless you bought it out. but he didnt say he is going to buy it out. So im a bit confused.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 140468

My understanding is he wants to reduce his car expense. Buying it out is not an option as well as leasing a new one would be cost-prohibitive. However after 3-years, wouldn't the residue be (roughly) $23k? If so, I would go with the known reliable and liked vehicle and get a used car loan. This would also depend on the car budget.

I don't believe Audi Financial, on a leased vehicle, allows for a direct sale. Rather it would need to be purchased by the "renter". The OP could work with area dealers as they would be able to bid on a leased vehicle. If a 2.0T Premium Plus, it could work to his advantage.
NHman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 175890

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob m View Post

Bob M
I'm in somewhat of a similar situation as Bob, except that being in Canada, our residual values and prices for both used and new are totally different.
My lease will be coming due in a few months time and I've got 50000km (approx 31k)on the odo and have babied this car all along. Got new brake rotors and low dust pads on all 4 wheels. Up to date services with AudiCare as well. Absolutely loves this vehicle - if it continues to perform trouble free like its done for the past 2 and half years, I'm going to buy it out at lease end. The buyout will only be $24xxx. I've been keeping tabs on used 2010 Q5 here without NAV and B&O asking from anywhere between $38k to $42k.
Bottom line is, you won't go wrong buying out something that still holds its value this well, something that is still current and fresh, something with a proven reliability for the past >30 month of ownership. It still drives and looks the same as that day I brought her home!
I can drive it for another year after the buyout, sell it and I'm sure I can get at least $25 - $28k for it. At the same time I've saved 12 months of lease payments. I can then look for a good used A7, my next dream car!!
Lease returned 2002 Volvo S40 Wagon
Sold - 1999 Merc E320 4-Matic
Sold - 1991 Volvo 744 Turbo

Last edited by ben_aip; 05-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.
ben_aip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement