Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Honda's brand new Mexican Plant - big problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda's brand new Mexican Plant - big problems

So for anyone that is contemplating getting a newly produced Q5 in 2016 from the mexico plant think again. Honda is having huge problems. Having been in the high tech business and establishing a plant in Mexico I saw this coming. Cultural problems, short cuts, stealing, labor shortage (as well as they just dont show up to work). Audi will run into the same problems Honda and everyone else will have. That labor is cheap for a reason!!!

" The cars are tardy because of massive problems at Honda’s $800-million production site in Celaya, Mexico. The brand-new plant is suffering from quality glitches and component-supply problems. Auto-production expert Ron Harbour, quoted by Automotive News, has said that it is tough to find skilled laborers. Moreover, even transporting parts in and cars out can be a problem, as “railcars do get hijacked” and completed vehicles have had parts stripped from them.
Finding a capable work force won’t get any easier for Honda, as BMW, Audi, and Kia are in the process of building their very own production sites in Mexico right now. As they watch Honda struggle with its new facility, they might need to prepare for similar issues once their lines start churning out product."
Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
So for anyone that is contemplating getting a newly produced Q5 in 2016 from the mexico plant think again. Honda is having huge problems. Having been in the high tech business and establishing a plant in Mexico I saw this coming. Cultural problems, short cuts, stealing, labor shortage (as well as they just dont show up to work). Audi will run into the same problems Honda and everyone else will have. That labor is cheap for a reason!!!

" The cars are tardy because of massive problems at Honda’s $800-million production site in Celaya, Mexico. The brand-new plant is suffering from quality glitches and component-supply problems. Auto-production expert Ron Harbour, quoted by Automotive News, has said that it is tough to find skilled laborers. Moreover, even transporting parts in and cars out can be a problem, as “railcars do get hijacked” and completed vehicles have had parts stripped from them.
Finding a capable work force won’t get any easier for Honda, as BMW, Audi, and Kia are in the process of building their very own production sites in Mexico right now. As they watch Honda struggle with its new facility, they might need to prepare for similar issues once their lines start churning out product."
2015 Model year Q5's sales are going to increase with this news, might be the last good year of quality manufacturing!

Get your Q5's while they're still hot off the German production Lines!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's so sad to hear this troubling news..... Not to say I wasn't expecting it, quite the opposite actually, but none the less, this news just causes me to think that my 2014 will be the first and possibly the last Q5 I'll probably own, unless Audi allows for production in some cases to be done in Germany or I move to Europe. Lucky Europeans and their German produced Q5s.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

VW's had their Puebla plant for 50 years, apparently. There's always teething pains in any new anything (plant, model/platform, etc.), so just because Honda's having issues doesn't mean that Audi will. The best comparison is VW's Puebla quality, which at least a decade ago was pretty bad, not sure about these days. At least from the reports, Audi's been behaving in a manner that shows that they are certainly cognizant of the need for quality, so I'm at least heartened by that. I would definitely expect bugs to need to be worked out in both the new plant and the new "B9"-based Q5, regardless of whether the final quality settles out to "good" or "bad". Unfortunately it'll take a while before we'll know for sure how the new model that we have access to will be long-term. Realistically I'm not expecting much given VW's quality issues, but you never know.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey

As an engineer who has worked in an engine manufacturing plant, there will always be problems when a new line is launched or a new plant is opened. Ideally we attempt to eliminate the problem by running mock ups through but nothing is 100%. I am anticipating trouble with the 2016 MY.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it 2016 or 2017 model year that the Q5 will start being produced in Mexico?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Today's Detroit Bureau story on quality; note specific VW reference...

deep in the story as part of general industry shift back to cost over quality and even safety.

Automakers Still Focus on Cost Over Quality, Suppliers Claim | TheDetroitBureau.com

Layer this on top of shift from Germany to Mexico and full model change, not good. I currently expect if I replaced Q, it would more likely be a Q3 not a Q5. After it gets past its own teething and the motor choices broaden some that is. And yes, Mexico definitely factors in; empty nester as well, so don't necessarily need whatever incremental size delta that results. Puebla was known for second world VW Bugs and Beetles for most of its life--ancient and ridiculously simple designs--and has really struggled it seems with a newer and even moderate complexity platform like later gen. Beetles.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-29-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Is it 2016 or 2017 model year that the Q5 will start being produced in Mexico?
Production at that plant isn't scheduled to begin until mid-2016, so I think it has to be the 2017 model year vehicle.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
deep in the story as part of general industry shift back to cost over quality and even safety.

Automakers Still Focus on Cost Over Quality, Suppliers Claim | TheDetroitBureau.com

Layer this on top of shift from Germany to Mexico and full model change, not good. I currently expect if I replaced Q, it would more likely be a Q3 not a Q5. After it gets past its own teething and the motor choices broaden some that is. And yes, Mexico definitely factors in; empty nester as well, so don't necessarily need whatever incremental size delta that results. Puebla was known for second world VW Bugs and Beetles for most of its life--ancient and ridiculously simple designs--and has really struggled it seems with a newer and even moderate complexity platform like later gen. Beetles.
The Q3 has been being assembled in the Spanish SEAT factory for three years now and for the NA market, it's basically a Tiguan with a new shell. You'll be waiting for the 2nd Gen if you want new motor choices and more teething in, the 1st Gen is about as good as it's going to get.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Spain = Eurozone...

and thus inside the (non) tariff area for suppliers and easy parts trans-shipment. Audi motors in general are Hungary, Q7 production also elsewhere in Europe.

Mexico = NAFTA so a different supplier choice dynamic if tariffs are meaningful at the margin. Pretty different flavors on union/non-union and worker council type considerations in crossing continents.

I'm taking about future buy anyway, not current. Thus the comparison to future Q5 buy. Having seen a lot in Europe last summer, even current Q3 looks decent for starters, Tiguan looks homely and blasé to my eye. Q3 also needs to get past a 6 speed along the way from a performance and economy perspective, assuming they/ZF ever get the 8 speed gear change finesse down better. Also a transverse set up, and don't really know where VW/Audi are in the drive train arena on transverse 8 speeds.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-29-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda's brand new Mexican Plant - big problems