Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hot Air not blowing inside the cabin

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Air not blowing inside the cabin

The air blowing inside the cabin of my 2011 Audi Q5 is not hot, it does blow some hot air but not enough to warm someone. The engine temp reaches almost half of the mark ( needle is one line before the middle) and the temperature stays there all the time. Turn the fan inside to start blowing hot air and nothing changes much as I am increasing the temp, 75, 80, 81 and finally hi.... it does blow air (not as much as it used to) but not hot enough.

Any ideas as what might be wrong? Last I was at dealership was for 15k service and everything looked fine..
Old 12-18-2014, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine normally runs at the middle mark.
Perhaps your thermostat is stuck open.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Your coolant level may be low. That's always the first thing to check when your car stops blowing hot air.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
Perhaps your thermostat is stuck open.
That would be my guess.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry I didnt respond to this thread sooner.. I didnt have access to my computer..

So I did a little more observation and it seems like it's just the middle blow vents that does not blow air.. the driver and passenger sides seems to be fine? Also, if I turn ON windshield de-fogger (not sure what's it called!), it seems to be blow hot air.. as I expect.. I could hear the fan blower loud earlier (when everything was working fine) as I increased temperature and now I could hardly hear blower fan even when I raise the temperature.. so after all my heat "system" might be working fine, it might be just the fan in the central blow vent?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Smdude35
Your coolant level may be low. That's always the first thing to check when your car stops blowing hot air.
I'll check the coolant when I get back home tonight..
Old 12-23-2014, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think hot air won't go out of rear center vents, as it does not go out of front center vents. Cabin is heated by using vents closer to the floor. You will feel stream of cold air from center vents in summer.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think my main concern is blower/fan would get louder as I increased the temperature but now I could hardly hear fan/blower even at high temp (80F). Sorry if my post is confusing and seems to be changing on what's the issue.. We just completed a 300 mile trip and it seems like cabin was getting warm but not as fast.. so I do suspect something is wrong and its not working "as good" as it was earlier..
Old 11-18-2020, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have same issue, my driver door vent and middle driver side blows hot air, passenger middle vent and passenger driver door blows cold air. Even at the bottom passenger as well. Any suggestion? I check coolant is full, I check the heater actuator door, it spins when adjust the **** as well.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericluu7806
I have same issue, my driver door vent and middle driver side blows hot air, passenger middle vent and passenger driver door blows cold air. Even at the bottom passenger as well. Any suggestion? I check coolant is full, I check the heater actuator door, it spins when adjust the **** as well.
Have you run a scan? I am not certain what it will show but it may help diagnose.

Quick Reply: Hot Air not blowing inside the cabin