Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How do I turn off cargo area lights while lift gate is open?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I turn off cargo area lights while lift gate is open?

I have a 2013 Q5 3.0T. I already know of the switch up front for the overhead lights when the doors and lift gate are open, but there are lights in the back on the lift gate and in the cargo area that are on and I cannot figure out how to turn them off.

And before you ask/mention, I already tried leaving it open to see if the lights just turn themselves off. I waited for about 1.5 hours and they did not. I also searched the forums and did not see any responses other than telling the poster about the switch up front, that seems to not fix the problem.

I'm asking because when my wife and I go tailgating, I'd like to not kill the battery by just leaving the lift gate open.

Last edited by Cinco_A6; 08-10-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

My 2011 turns the cargo lights off after about 15 minutes when the lift gate is open.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Simple solution is when you're tailgating is to remove the bulb or the entire housing. It's actually just a quick pull and detach.

Last edited by Adplaya; 08-11-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

So 2013 doesn't have a switch to turn it off?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

IIRC it is more like THREE bulbs, not simple or convenient, and my 2014 also has no obvious switch to turn that all off.

You'd have to find the fuse for those lights, then tap in a switch to turn them all off. Not a big deal...just another "No! That is not something YOU will decide! It is OUR car!" from Audi.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audio_video_guy
So 2013 doesn't have a switch to turn it off?
The 2015 doesn't have one either.

However, the light should go out after 15 mins, as the previous poster noted. You just have to make sure you don't open/close any doors. Every time you do, I'm guessing the 15 min timer restarts again.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
IIRC it is more like THREE bulbs, not simple or convenient, and my 2014 also has no obvious switch to turn that all off.

You'd have to find the fuse for those lights, then tap in a switch to turn them all off. Not a big deal...just another "No! That is not something YOU will decide! It is OUR car!" from Audi.
Are the cargo lights not exactly like the courtesy lights? Bulbs housed in a box with a connector.

Flat head, pull, disconnect.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"Bulbs housed in a box with a connector."
Yes, and I also unscrew the light bulbs before I leave the house in the morning, and screw them back in (only as needed) after it gets dark at night.

This is why the light switch was invented. But my electrician said it would add thirty bucks to the cost of each room in the house to install them, so we just didn't. ;-)

If I wanted to be subject to the whims of a car, I'd rent one every day, so I had no choice in how they worked. But then again, I learned how to wire up switches in fourth grade.
The following users liked this post:
rez (01-16-2021)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
"Bulbs housed in a box with a connector."
Yes, and I also unscrew the light bulbs before I leave the house in the morning, and screw them back in (only as needed) after it gets dark at night.

This is why the light switch was invented. But my electrician said it would add thirty bucks to the cost of each room in the house to install them, so we just didn't. ;-)

If I wanted to be subject to the whims of a car, I'd rent one every day, so I had no choice in how they worked. But then again, I learned how to wire up switches in fourth grade.
By all means if you have the time and aptitude to install a switch, go for it. Definitely the better idea. But then again with that knowledge I'm sure you would just install instead of posting on a forum.

Anyhoo, for a one off or a two off occasion I'll stick with the one that requires next to no work or know how.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"for a one off or a two off occasion "
Yes, but the OP goes tailgating. And for a loyal football fan, that can mean 10-20 times per year.

Arguably less for a NASCAR fan, but they probably wouldn't be allowed at NASCAR tracks in an Audi.(G)

Quick Reply: How do I turn off cargo area lights while lift gate is open?