Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Introducing the Carista OBD device!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Check out these 2 threads on audizine - most of the stuff they talk about is done via coding (and Carista supports a lot of those settings), but some of them are done through the hidden menu - and that's where those threads come in handy:
VCDS & Hidden menu: The complete list
VCDS/Hidden Menu Mods Updated For Facelift 2013 B8.5's
Thank you for the links. I successfully added the battery menu and the ambient light menu using the hidden menu access.

Last edited by hojbjerg; 06-07-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Needle sweep

Any concern that the needle sweep can cause damage to the instrumentation. I know this feature is standard on many Audi's but do those cars have parts on the instruments that allows for this repeated feature? Where in our non-SQ5's don't come with this feature.

Just a thought?
Old 06-19-2015, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did I waste my money on the generic adapter? Does the Carista version provide some functionality the generic's don't?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can we assume that for the $40 you're charging that this adapter uses a real ELM327 and not a counterfeit like the rest sold on Amazon & eBay?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duffer5
Any concern that the needle sweep can cause damage to the instrumentation. I know this feature is standard on many Audi's but do those cars have parts on the instruments that allows for this repeated feature? Where in our non-SQ5's don't come with this feature.

Just a thought?
As far as I know, there's no additional/different hardware in terms of the needles on cars that have this feature enabled from the factory. In fact, I think one benefit of having the needle sweep is that it gets the needles moving in the entire range of the gauge; otherwise, over the years, there might be some build-up of dust/grease/etc. that causes the needles to have trouble moving in the higher ranges. I've experienced this with an old BMW.

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
Did I waste my money on the generic adapter? Does the Carista version provide some functionality the generic's don't?
If your generic adapter works, then you're fine. As of now, the Carista adapter does not offer additional functionality (other than the more stable connection and the fact that it doesn't block off your Internet connectivity on iOS... and is easier to connect to).

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Can we assume that for the $40 you're charging that this adapter uses a real ELM327 and not a counterfeit like the rest sold on Amazon & eBay?
The chip we use implements the ELM327 instruction set, but is not manufactured by Elm Electronics. Same deal as more expensive adapters such as the $100 OBDLink one (which actually implements an older version of the ELM327 instruction set than ours). Our adapter is not a "clone" or "counterfeit", it's its own thing. One thing that's for sure is that it works way better than those fake ebay/amazon devices that don't even support the ELM327 v1.3 instruction set, but claim to be ELM327 v2.1 devices. Also note that our adapter uses Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy, which is a lot more expensive than the "regular" Bluetooth 2.x.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Carista

Yeah, just search around on the forum, especially in the A4 B8 section - their MMI is the same and there's lots of info in their section.

See above.
I really can't find much specific detail on using the MMI hidden menu. Is anyone familiar with any specifics or where details can be found on using?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Introducing the Carista OBD device!

Originally Posted by BP Atl
I really can't find much specific detail on using the MMI hidden menu. Is anyone familiar with any specifics or where details can be found on using?
Try to start from here
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ft-2013-B8-5-s
Old 07-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just received my Carista OBDII adapter that I bought for my 2008 RS4. My car is on the list of supported vehicles (2008+ A4, S4, RS4), but I can't get to the customization menu. Any ideas?
Old 07-09-2015, 01:19 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coupon
I just received my Carista OBDII adapter that I bought for my 2008 RS4. My car is on the list of supported vehicles (2008+ A4, S4, RS4), but I can't get to the customization menu. Any ideas?
Audi switched from B7 to B8 platform mid-year 2008 and we only support customizations for B8 models. You can see that on the list of supported vehicles as well (A4/S4/RS4 (B8: 2008+)). Do you know what platform you have? If you have B8 and you still don't see the customization menu please send us a report trough the menu on the left and we will investigate the issue further. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just received my Carista yesterday. Enabled gauge sweep and convenient windows on my Q5, and turned the "winking" feature off. The device and app work great!

I turned on the "Hidden Menu", but am unsure how to utilize it. I am most interested in the transmission gear selector. The links indicated above seam to apply to a VAG Com device and not necessarily the "Hidden Menu".

Quick Reply: Introducing the Carista OBD device!