Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Invisihitch (Execuhitch) Control Module Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invisihitch (Execuhitch) Control Module Wiring

I recently installed the Invisihitch (Execuhitch as some refer to it) on my 2012 Q5 S-Line. As others have stated, it is the best solution in terms of appearance and functionality. The build quality is superb.

I have run into an issue with the wiring for the trailer lighting module however and am hoping someone has some ideas. I am confident that my wiring is correct, but the module doesn't interpret the input PWM signals correctly. I haven't changed any of the coding for the tails lights and have tried two harnesses and 3 modules. My vehicle is Canadian spec. Is it possible that the tail lights operate differently than the US spec vehicles? This would provide a possible explanation.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can't really help on that but woud like to see pictures of it installed !

With and without the plastic cover !
Old 07-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi I'm from Montreal and I too bought a hitch for my invisible Q5 2014 Sline you stay in Ottawa and I saw on the internet that was a supplier or installer for invisible hitch, please give news and advice if you find the problem otherwise I think I'll put a hitch OEM regret not having order with hitch !!!

sorry about my English
Old 07-25-2015, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in Ottawa as well, ordered my 2016 SQ5 from Marks on hunt club, she arrives in about two weeks, can't decide whether or not to tell the dealer to just go ahead and put the OEM hitch on and do the Zxylon. May skip the Zxylon.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SuperQkc
I'm in Ottawa as well, ordered my 2016 SQ5 from Marks on hunt club, she arrives in about two weeks, can't decide whether or not to tell the dealer to just go ahead and put the OEM hitch on and do the Zxylon. May skip the Zxylon.

I was wondering the same thing...but I'm glad I didn't pick the oem one... I would not have been able to live with the cut in the plastic for the hitch...
SQ5 rear is so badass...

will try invisible hitch as well...

OP can you give us some info about where you bought that hitch and how much it cost to you to get it ship to canada(ottawa) ?
thanks !

I am from quebec.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered directly from Invisihitch and picked up the hitch with 2" ball and receiver, a second 2" receiver for my bike rack and the wiring harness for $619 USD including shipping to Ottawa. Fedex billed me another $99 CDN to recover the HST.

I was never able to make the Invisihitch trailer module work when connecting to the wiring points identified by Invisihitch, but was able to come up with a workaround using the the wiring points recommended by Curt. The only issue is that when the brakes are applied, the clearance lights also come on. My solution is to just drive with the clearance lights on, then everything works as expected. I will share more on this soon.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you try contacting Execuhitch? They are very helpful.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by oTTawaON
I ordered directly from Invisihitch and picked up the hitch with 2" ball and receiver, a second 2" receiver for my bike rack and the wiring harness for $619 USD including shipping to Ottawa. Fedex billed me another $99 CDN to recover the HST.

I was never able to make the Invisihitch trailer module work when connecting to the wiring points identified by Invisihitch, but was able to come up with a workaround using the the wiring points recommended by Curt. The only issue is that when the brakes are applied, the clearance lights also come on. My solution is to just drive with the clearance lights on, then everything works as expected. I will share more on this soon.
what do you mean by clearance lights ?

you mean the clearance light and sound when you go reverse ?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Helpful yes!

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Did you try contacting Execuhitch? They are very helpful.
Yes, Execuhitch provided excellent support including shipping me a second harness and 2 replacement modules to try. They were as helpful as they could be.

After much experimentation and probing of the signals, it became clear to me that the signals the module was looking for did not appear at the expected location. This is still a mystery... Canada vs. U.S. Spec? Perhaps a byproduct of some other VAG coding?

When I connected the module to the locations specified for the Curt Module things immediately worked flawlessly (except for the tail lights coming on when the brakes were applied).
Old 07-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jay337
what do you mean by clearance lights ?

you mean the clearance light and sound when you go reverse ?
Clearance lights or tail lights... The lights that are supposed to illuminate when the vehicle parking and/or headlights are turned on.

Quick Reply: Invisihitch (Execuhitch) Control Module Wiring