Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Invisihitch (Execuhitch) Control Module Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if you figured this out yet, but I ran into a similar issue when wiring up an execuhitch to my 2014 Q5. The connections described by execuhitch didn't work, but the Curt ones mostly did but had some issues. Drove me crazy but then I discovered that the Execuhitch wiring worked perfectly with the REAR HATCH CLOSED!

I had been testing it the whole time with the hatch open because that's how you access the wiring. Once the hatch is closed the Q5 changes how it sends signals to the brake lights and the execuhitch wiring works.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Zoot is your vehicle a US model?
And which wiring points did you end up using the Curt hitch or execu hitch instructions? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a US model. I wound up using the execuhitch wiring in the end. It works perfectly as long as I don't drive with the rear hatch open, but I don't plan on doing that anyway
Old 08-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Zoot
It's a US model. I wound up using the execuhitch wiring in the end. It works perfectly as long as I don't drive with the rear hatch open, but I don't plan on doing that anyway
Good to know it works! I had a draw tite max installed which looks the same as the oem hitch but I was in no way planning on paying for the oem trailer module with wiring and then needing re programming. I think I'll just buy the execuhitch module and that will solve my problems. I'll just have to find some place to hide and secure the plug
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sudsaver

Originally Posted by Zoot
Don't know if you figured this out yet, but I ran into a similar issue when wiring up an execuhitch to my 2014 Q5. The connections described by execuhitch didn't work, but the Curt ones mostly did but had some issues. Drove me crazy but then I discovered that the Execuhitch wiring worked perfectly with the REAR HATCH CLOSED!

I had been testing it the whole time with the hatch open because that's how you access the wiring. Once the hatch is closed the Q5 changes how it sends signals to the brake lights and the execuhitch wiring works.
So was the execuhitch module okay for Q5? Did you have to have input at an Audi dealer to the module? I understand that the module modifies braking and ABS for Q5 when towing. Does this also happen with Execuhitch module?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does anyone know if some programming code changes are required on a newly installed trailer hitch wiring harness module by an Audi dealer? Does it matter if the module is OEM or aftermarket? This is for a 2014 Q5
Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The execuhitch wiring does not require any programming from an Audi dealer. However, it does not change the car's programming the way the OEM trailer control module does when it detects a trailer is hooked up. So with the execuhitch wiring, there are no changes to the ABS or stability control or proximity sensors (or engine or tranny?) when towing. This hasn't been an issue for me, but if you want full OEM towing functionality then you'll have to get the OEM towing control module and wiring harness and bring it to a dealer to be programmed (or someone who's pretty slick with VCDS).