Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

iPhone Bluetooth Connection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried just about everything but it still locks up.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Better get used to these problems if you stay with iOS. iOS is the new Windows. As long as I remember, Apple kept screwing up basic OS features such as Bluetooth, Wifi etc. with every major iOS release. One would think that by now they would have a robust regression test suite to ensure that these basic functions don't break every time. Every major iOS release needs a slew of patch releases afterwards before things are stable. It shows big problems with Apple's Engineering processes. I have switched to Windows Phone from iOS of all mobile OSes. My Lumia 920 just recently got updated to Windows Phone 8.1 and everything still works. No need for a gazillion patches after the update.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like the voice encryption module in the radio has failed and it doesn't think you're the authenticated and authorized owner/operator for the vehicle. The dealer's service department has to hardwire the car on a secured internet connection back to Germany to fix that.
(WEG)

No really, sounds like the radio does have a problem though and I'll bet that if they can't find a loose harness connection, the whole radio will have to be swapped out under warranty.

The Audi BT interface apparently can get easily insulted and confused. Mine refused to reconnect to the phone after the phone locked up and needed to be restarted, until the car was physically shut down and restarted as well.

Or perhaps, it simply works better with a proper German cell phone, maybe from Siemens, yah? ;-)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The iOS 8 has been buggy since the release and wifi, BT, & celluar connections have been very unstable even with recent update to 8.0.2. When having issues in iPhone, I just switch to airplane mode and back and it will connect soon after. If you need to reset the MMI/AMI, just press the power botton for about 10 - 15 seconds and the unit will reboot.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Haven't tried airplane mode off then on will give it a shot. Connecting doesn't seem to be the problem, the call will drop to the phone and the MMI gets locked up in telephone mode with the call after about 10 seconds.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi recently discovered an issue with contact syncing over Bluetooth. Don't think this is the issue that folks are experiencing with iOS 8, but I think it's good to be aware of it.

The known issue in the MMI is that if you have special characters anywhere in your contacts, Bluetooth stability will go south. A related issue is if you have too many contacts stored on your phone and trying to sync them, that will also cause issues. My SA couldn't tell me specifically how many are too many.

I ran into Bluetooth stability issues with my Nokia Lumia 920 the other day. I have a lot of contacts on my phone as I aggregate all my personal, work, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter contacts. Maybe I added one too many contacts or one of my friends put a funny character into their Facebook contact record triggering the issue.

I ended up cleaning up my contacts. Getting rid of a bunch of old contacts and configuring my phone to only sync my personal contacts with the MMI and ignore all the work, Facebook etc. contacts which I really don't need to be synced to the MMI. Now the Bluetooth connection seems stable again.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-14-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im running ios 8.02 with no issues what so ever when connecting. Haven't done anything special, just bought new iPhone 6, connected it to my audi and all is good. Guess it's an intermittent problem?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
Im running ios 8.02 with no issues what so ever when connecting. Haven't done anything special, just bought new iPhone 6, connected it to my audi and all is good. Guess it's an intermittent problem?
Historically, the issues accompanying iOS releases are experienced mainly by folks who upgraded an existing device to the latest iOS version. The newest devices largely work fine with the latest version of iOS. It seems that Apple is not doing thorough enough regression testing of older hardware and runs into trouble with the upgrade not applying settings correctly from the previous OS installation. In the past when I still had an iPhone I could often resolve these issues by resetting network settings etc. or worst case do a factory reset and set it up as a new device as restoring from a previous backup just brought the issues back.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Historically, the issues accompanying iOS releases are experienced mainly by folks who upgraded an existing device to the latest iOS version. The newest devices largely work fine with the latest version of iOS. It seems that Apple is not doing thorough enough regression testing of older hardware and runs into trouble with the upgrade not applying settings correctly from the previous OS installation. In the past when I still had an iPhone I could often resolve these issues by resetting network settings etc. or worst case do a factory reset and set it up as a new device as restoring from a previous backup just brought the issues back.
Ah, that makes sense.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Try another phone. Borrow one from your cellular company's local store for a few minutes if you have to. If the problem only happens with your phone, have the phone replaced. If the problem is still there with a different phone? tell Audi "take fixee" and have the car system swapped out.

Since both the phone and the car are under warranty, let the folks who are getting paid for that do the work.

Quick Reply: iPhone Bluetooth Connection Problem