Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-22-2016, 01:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Key Battery Needs Charging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Battery Needs Charging?

My wife said she got this message
"Key Battery Needs Recharging" in the center dash display. The message lasted a moment and went away.
Any suggestions on what this means? Should I just replace the batteries (in both keys I guess)? How do I recharge, and why not just replace the batteries. On a 2012 it doesn't seem like they lasted very long but no big deal.
Any thoughts?
Chris
Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Man
"Key Battery Needs Recharging" in the center dash display. The message lasted a moment and went away.
Any suggestions on what this means? Should I just replace the batteries (in both keys I guess)? How do I recharge, and why not just replace the batteries. On a 2012 it doesn't seem like they lasted very long but no big deal.
Any thoughts?
Chris
Recharge?? It's just a battery. my dealer changed mine out for me free of charge. My car has advanced key and it had to be changed after a year or so. That's with the car sitting over the winter too.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My other cars' keys never need new batteries--one is 5.5 years old, the other 13 years old. Are advanced keys so power hungry?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Any thoughts?
Chris
Replacement is so simple. Need battery: CR2032

Name:  ScreenShot265_zpsb17f504e.jpg
Views: 29828
Size:  93.9 KB
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 81Coupe
My other cars' keys never need new batteries--one is 5.5 years old, the other 13 years old. Are advanced keys so power hungry?
Advanced keys it constantly emits a signal that communicates with the computer in the car.
Standard keys work only when you pressed the button

Last edited by spijun; 05-21-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Chris
Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Chris

Video:
Old 10-29-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi All, I need assistance please.

I have an Audi A5 2010 Coupe that I bought 4 months ago, The car has a remote starter installed using the Audi Remote control original key. Everything seams to be working fine with the programmed remote such open, lock, open and close all widows by holding the lock or unlock key. the issue I had this morning is that I was not able to start remotely the car as I usually do by pressing the lock key 3 times.
Any help please? many thanks.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marise Rodriguez
Hi All, I need assistance please.

I have an Audi A5 2010 Coupe that I bought 4 months ago, The car has a remote starter installed using the Audi Remote control original key. Everything seams to be working fine with the programmed remote such open, lock, open and close all widows by holding the lock or unlock key. the issue I had this morning is that I was not able to start remotely the car as I usually do by pressing the lock key 3 times.
Any help please? many thanks.
Well you woke-up a thread from 2013 about battery replacement in the remote, that's probably the first/easiest/less-expensive thing to check/replace first, so I'd start there and see. If the battery is on its way out there's a good chance your spare remote battery is on its way out too, so don't rely/depend on your spare remote "fixing" the problem, it could be doing the same thing.

About 6 months ago I came out to my car with my remote not functioning, my first thought was "dead battery, let me go grab my spare"...came back out and the spare did the same thing, so I thought "dead car battery", but when I got inside the car it started fine with the key. Went to the store and bought 2 new batteries and problem fixed. Both batteries died at the exact same time even though one was being used daily and the other was on a key hook collecting dust hanging on my wall.

If new batteries don't solve your problem maybe start a new thread in the A5 forum for further assistance.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DonnyK
Well you woke-up a thread from 2013 about battery replacement in the remote, that's probably the first/easiest/less-expensive thing to check/replace first, so I'd start there and see. If the battery is on its way out there's a good chance your spare remote battery is on its way out too, so don't rely/depend on your spare remote "fixing" the problem, it could be doing the same thing.

About 6 months ago I came out to my car with my remote not functioning, my first thought was "dead battery, let me go grab my spare"...came back out and the spare did the same thing, so I thought "dead car battery", but when I got inside the car it started fine with the key. Went to the store and bought 2 new batteries and problem fixed. Both batteries died at the exact same time even though one was being used daily and the other was on a key hook collecting dust hanging on my wall.

If new batteries don't solve your problem maybe start a new thread in the A5 forum for further assistance.
Thank you so much DonnyK for your prompt reply. I will have my battery checked even though it is showing 75% to 100% charging.
Thank you...

Quick Reply: Key Battery Needs Charging?