Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Let's diagnose this noise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's diagnose this noise...

We bought a used 2012 Q5 last weekend with 60k miles. A litter higher milage than we wanted but it was a giant steph up from the Kia Soul we had before.

On test drives everything seemed great and the car still runs fine, I absolutely love it.

However, we've noticed a faint whistling/whooshing sound when idling or driving at slow speeds. The noise is more prominent when turning. We hear the noise inside the car but as far as we can tell, no noise outside. It's possible the noise is still there when driving at higher speeds and it's just cancelled out by engine/road noise.

We checked power steering fluid and the level is fine.

Being new to Audi this may be a normal sound, but it has us worried. I've scoured other forum posts and haven't found any noise concerns that match the same as ours. Any ideas? THANK YOU to anyone who decides to throw something out! I have a video of the noise but can't get it to load from my phone.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, meant a little higher milage than we wanted.

Forgot to mention we've got the 2.0 Turbo engine.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audibama5
We bought a used 2012 Q5 last weekend with 60k miles. A litter higher milage than we wanted but it was a giant steph up from the Kia Soul we had before.

On test drives everything seemed great and the car still runs fine, I absolutely love it.

However, we've noticed a faint whistling/whooshing sound when idling or driving at slow speeds. The noise is more prominent when turning. We hear the noise inside the car but as far as we can tell, no noise outside. It's possible the noise is still there when driving at higher speeds and it's just cancelled out by engine/road noise.

We checked power steering fluid and the level is fine.

Being new to Audi this may be a normal sound, but it has us worried. I've scoured other forum posts and haven't found any noise concerns that match the same as ours. Any ideas? THANK YOU to anyone who decides to throw something out! I have a video of the noise but can't get it to load from my phone.
check and see if the noise came from rear end (fuel nozzle, underneath the hood).....if it is, then the noise is fuel pump....just get it replaced and the noise will be gone...
Old 11-24-2015, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you ever figure out what this noise was? Mine is doing pretty much the same thing I think. I have posted a thread asking the same question, whistling noise heard in the cabin but can't hear anything outside. Was it a fuel pump as suggested or something else?