Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Locking doors while leaving car running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Telate
What about that lousy plastic "emergency" key that they give you. does it actually have a chip in it? It works to open/close the doors as well as start the car...
Yes there is exactly a chip in it, without which you can not start the car
Carrier plastic key can be taken from any Audi but plastic key must be of this model

Last edited by spijun; 09-27-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
It is impossible to do.
If someone makes a copy you can not use it because of the Audi system protection
What is imposible to do?

You could use it to manually lock/unlock driver door, no?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
What is imposible to do?

You could use it to manually lock/unlock driver door, no?
Spare keys can not make the locksmith
It is impossible for someone to make a copy of the key (impossible to coding), it can only do Audi

Of course you can use to manually lock / unlock the driver's door

Last edited by spijun; 09-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Spare keys can not make the locksmith
It is impossible for someone to make a copy of the key (impossible to coding), it can only do Audi
Well, in the U.S. at least, that's not entirely correct; many locksmiths can supply and program a key. Google "audi key locksmith". It won't be inexpensive, though.

Here's a couple of examples:
http://locksmithlosangeles.biz/28.html
http://www.cars-locksmith.com/audi/
Old 09-28-2013, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, in the U.S. at least, that's not entirely correct; many locksmiths can supply and program a key. Google "audi key locksmith". It won't be inexpensive, though.

Here's a couple of examples:
http://www.cars-locksmith.com/audi/
Ok I believe you. Did you maybe try to make a key ?

Did you try to open the link for Q5 or maybe for S4?

I know that there are such devices, but again you need: blank key transponder

Name:  ScreenShot169_zpsb387f64b.jpg
Views: 10445
Size:  146.1 KB

Last edited by spijun; 09-28-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smonakey
It appears that I can't leave my SQ5 running, step out of it & lock the doors, while it's still running. I need to do so when I run in to pick my son up from school, since the dogs are generally in the car with me & I need to leave the A/C running while I go get the kid.

Can anyone confirm or refute my problem, & if that is the case, any ideas on a work-around? I obviously don't want to leave the car unlocked & running & I don't want to shut it off & leave the mutts in there.

FWIW, I came to the SQ5 from a Grand Cherokee that had a remote start feature, so I'd just lock the doors & remote start the car from the key fob. I just assumed that I'd be able to lock this car & leave it running.

On a related note, is there some sort of remote start function from the key fob for the SQ5?
My mate had 2005 Audi A8 with advance key and it was posaible to do, you have to keep car key in pocket or next to you, start engine with "start" button and once you want leave car with switch on engine you have to leave engine running jump out of car and lock it with button on top of door handle. I have tried on my 2008 A8 but it won't do it, then my mate upgraded his car to S8 2008 and he can't do it either unless it's Audi's new protection or it's possible to unlock this feature with vagcom code. I am looking at this feature now.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinas88
My mate had 2005 Audi A8 with advance key and it was posaible to do, you have to keep car key in pocket or next to you, start engine with "start" button and once you want leave car with switch on engine you have to leave engine running jump out of car and lock it with button on top of door handle. I have tried on my 2008 A8 but it won't do it, then my mate upgraded his car to S8 2008 and he can't do it either unless it's Audi's new protection or it's possible to unlock this feature with vagcom code. I am looking at this feature now.
Did you figure it out?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Love this feature of the Advanced Key, being able to leave it running and locked is huge here in WNY winters. That being said when I had my A4, it was impossible to find a local locksmith to make a new fob/key. It really is pretty much dealer only, I was quoted $350 for the new fob and $150 for the tech's to program it. For a new plastic emergency key, it's only $70 + $150. But I'd rather have the actual fob than the dinky plastic key TBH, specially since I will be owning this vehicle for a while.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Love this feature of the Advanced Key, being able to leave it running and locked is huge here in WNY winters."
Except, the question is asked repeatedly and no one has been able or willing to respond with a way to lock the recent model Q5's (this is the Q5 mark1 section) from the outside, with the engine running, except by taking out the physical key and physically locking the driver's door with it. Which is better than nothing, but a PITA when you are used to having the key fob stashed away and your hands may be full.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Except, the question is asked repeatedly and no one has been able or willing to respond with a way to lock the recent model Q5's (this is the Q5 mark1 section) from the outside, with the engine running, except by taking out the physical key and physically locking the driver's door with it. Which is better than nothing, but a PITA when you are used to having the key fob stashed away and your hands may be full.
You got yourself a first world problem right there.

Quick Reply: Locking doors while leaving car running?