Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

maintenance reminder reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
For 4-5 years you will not be able to drive even one car, all new models of cars are used computers and special programs and tools (and even cheap Korean and Chinese cars )

Good luck in the future with the "old cars" without computers and special software
I have already two scanners and use them on cars that I service.

The point here is that these Audis require a trip to the dealer to reset the oil change service reminder.

I am not aware of any other car that requires this, as there is usually a sequence clearly described in the owner's manual on how to reset the oil service reminder. And is it really necessary to do away with the dipstick and only be able to read the oil level from the dashboard display?

Requiring electrical or hydraulic power to actuate an emergency brake makes no sense to me on a car. For safety reasons, it should be a completely manual cable or mechanical connection
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfithian
I have already two scanners and use them on cars that I service.

The point here is that these Audis require a trip to the dealer to reset the oil change service reminder.

I am not aware of any other car that requires this, as there is usually a sequence clearly described in the owner's manual on how to reset the oil service reminder. And is it really necessary to do away with the dipstick and only be able to read the oil level from the dashboard display?

Requiring electrical or hydraulic power to actuate an emergency brake makes no sense to me on a car. For safety reasons, it should be a completely manual cable or mechanical connection
Thousands of engineers who are working in the Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche .... think differently from you.

It not just like you think only reset the oil change service, but a lot more but ,(collecting information about faults, due to warranty that lasts longer, software upgrades, etc........) I do not intend to explain the reasons why it is so

Emergency brake with manual cable-it's a hundred years old. Maybe you better know what is safer than hundred engineers

Good luck

Last edited by spijun; 03-18-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Thousands of engineers who are working in the Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche .... think differently from you. "

There are pros and cons to a design philosophy that requires special service tools (SSTs) for everything, versus the plain old Yankee combination of a screwdriver and plier.

Spijun, have any of those fine engineers designing electrical parking brake systems bothered to ask what happens when a driver does in fact use the parking brake all the time? (Which is exceptionally rare in the US, almost unheard of with the ubiquitous automatic transmissions.)

Eventually, someone will return to their car, especially in cold winters, to find the battery is dead. No problem, jump start the car. Oh, wait, we've got to back it up to reach under the hood with the jumpers. Wait, no, we can't back it up because...the electric parking brake is set and the battery is dead.

So now we have to call a tow truck? Really?

It is bad enough that there has to be an "emergency" secret procedure to take the transmission out of park. That's at least documented in the owner's manual. But how does one disengage the parking brake, if the battery is dead?

What do electric parking brakes really buy me, other than little spaceship noises when I'm parking the car?

And what does happen when I try to use them as emergency brakes, either during a brake failure, or any other time?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1 with Redd. On a sub-zero day couple of weeks ago, I went for gas and the electrical emergency brake locked up on my 08 S6. Waited 7 hours for Audi Roadside service to send a flat bed tow truck from AMA. Car sat at dealer for 4 days before they did anything. Service advisor told me the system detected some form of battery drain but mine was a new battery installed just before X'mas. In any event, as longtime manual driver, I have to stop using parking brakes since.
These electrical parking brakes serve no safety purpose but just another selling gimmick to tact on extra price items!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Three answers:

Why:

1. The electric parking brake saves packaging room in the console for the otherwise 15" pull handle, and the cable attachment area underneath. Or it becomes a foot brake like a lowly American car/truck, Japanese minivan...or Q7. Not great marketing comparo's for "sporty." And people want all their electronic gizmos that have crowded the console area and center armrests more and more. Not saying it's the best, but that's among the big reasons it's done interior design wise.

2. Lots of folks don't really set the mechanical handbrake hard enough. Try it on a hill sometime and notice the car still sliding unless you really yank on it several clicks beyond everyday common application. Same w/ foot brake ones. The electric ones by contrast clamp like no tomorrow.

What about (some) emergencies:

3. Pull on the switch sometime when driving and count to about three. Just make sure no one is behind you, pets are secured and you used any needed Fixodent that morning. You get serious stopping power, way beyond just any handbrake operating only two wheels. Documented in the manual too IIRC. What is going on is it is engaging the EBC/ESP/ABS system to all the wheels--hydraulically. Yeah, that does assume there is hydraulic function, but in pedal failure, vacuum failure and other scenarios there will be. Not sure what happens to the mechanical motor part in the back, or if it's a secondary backup, but the major brake intervention will surprise you. But then yes, it's also worthless for either inducing good old parking lot spin in the snow, or for being subtle when spotting a cop and wanting to slow down faster than downshifts (especially 8 speeds worth) and still not flash your brake lights
Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It appears this thread is taking a turn away from the original topic.

Perhaps the electric brake subject should be better considered here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...mergency+brake

I'll post a link in that thread to this one, as there are some good items listed here.

And Spijun, I fully embrace the OBDII and other protocols that tell us what to repair. I have this discussion with many people who claim to me that these newer cars can't be repaired like the old ones.

I then mention to them that these computer systems make diagnosing problems easier, as the car will often tell you what to repair.

But the basic mechanical aspects of brakes, bearings, and engines remain the same. You need both the electronic and mechanical knowledge to repair them.

And I understand our modern aircraft, for decades, have used fly by wire systems for the control surfaces. But these have much more scrutiny in design validation, are fitted with redundant systems, and serviced by highly trained personnel with strictly scheduled maintenance intervals. This doesn't exist in most of the automotive world.

But how is a trip to the dealer or purchase of a very expensive VCDS to reset the oil change service reminder necessary?

I am a degreed engineer, with significant background in safety systems. I'd spec a mechanically actuated emergency brake for a car every time.

Last edited by pcfithian; 03-18-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

By George, MP, you're right it is documented.

"Pull out and hold the parking brake switch to ...The brakes are released immediately when you release the switch or press down the accelerator. ...

Please remember that the ESC (with its combined ABS, EDL and traction control functions) is still subject to certain physical limits. In a corner or in bad road or weather conditions an emergency stop can cause the vehicle to skid or lose steering control."

Which is another way of saying, there are times when it is preferable that the driver has the option of just engaging the rear brakes. So the car doesn't pivot around the front end and "skid or lose steering control".

I suppose I could replace that worthless coin slot with a second button hardwired to just the rear brake motors...(VBG)
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd

Eventually, someone will return to their car, especially in cold winters, to find the battery is dead. No problem, jump start the car. Oh, wait, we've got to back it up to reach under the hood with the jumpers. Wait, no, we can't back it up because...the electric parking brake is set and the battery is dead.

So now we have to call a tow truck? Really?

It is bad enough that there has to be an "emergency" secret procedure to take the transmission out of park. That's at least documented in the owner's manual. But how does one disengage the parking brake, if the battery is dead?
When the battery is dead, what will you electric parking brake. How do you start the car if the battery is dead ????
When the battery is dead then you can not start the car or I may be wrong

When you have a mechanical brake and a dead battery then what ????

Not you ever happened to the mechanical brake cables freeze when it's cold outside, what then.
You may feed the fire under the car to release the cable from the ice

Perhaps car manufacturers should go back to the seventies of the last century

The perfect car does not exist in the world, one that will please everyone and to satisfy different people

Last edited by spijun; 03-18-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pcfithian

And Spijun, I fully embrace the OBDII and other protocols that tell us what to repair. I have this discussion with many people who claim to me that these newer cars can't be repaired like the old ones.
OBDII is old

Audi lives up to its motto: Progress through technology
Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Winter Cabriolet
Is it safe to assume that the knock offs do not work? $10 vs $300+ Makes no sense.
You mean this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281245725377...S:1123&vxp=mtr

The seller responded to a question I posted that this, along with a laptop, would not reset the oil service due light on my 2012 Q5.

Quick Reply: maintenance reminder reset