Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

my Q5 in the shop for rattles again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my Q5 in the shop for rattles again...

Hi guys, I have read many threads about people experiencing rattles in the Q5 and I am happen to be the one that suffered from that. I had my pano roof frame replace at the dealer last time and it did solved the rattle for about a year now and unfortunately the rattle came back, but this time with even more rattles from inside the car. The grab handle above the driver's head,the passenger side seat belt housing, it seems like everywhere I hear rattles. I just can't take it no more so I took it to the dealer and have them look at it and I got a call from the dealer today and told me they didn't hear anything and ask me if they can have the tech drive the car home with him and let the car sit there for a night and hopefully he can hear something tomorrow morning. I just want them to fix the rattle once and for all...
Old 09-24-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your rattles - can be very frustrating. What year is your Q5 and how many miles? Just curious if you had issues from day 1 or when they started to develop.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi1177777
I had my pano roof frame replace at the dealer last time and it did solved the rattle for about a year now and unfortunately the rattle came back, but this time with even more rattles from inside the car. The grab handle above the driver's head,the passenger side seat belt housing, it seems like everywhere I hear rattles....
Same problem I face in my 2015 Q5TDI and worst thing is the seatbelt area rattle is right above my head and make me more irritated. Now I know some folks would say turn on the radio/music but thats not the solution. Hope they can fix it for u and I will take mines soon..
Keep us update
Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 2014 2.0T. The only rattle I can hear is coming from the driver side air vent and it only happens when the ac is on.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not to sound like a monster - but I am relieved I am not the only one whose experiencing this. I have a 2015 Q5 2.0 P+ and i have taken it in many for several rattles/creaks. Door panels and the sunroof (the determined it was the rear panels connected to the roof). Truly disappointed at the number of rattles (I am sure the quiet smooth ride has a part to play in the rattles annoyingness factor). Once one is fixed another one appears - then we play detective all over again.

I would advise finding out which conditions trigger the rattle (bumpy roads etc) and then drive around with the tech and make sure he hears that rattle. This way he will communicate this the the service adviser and they cant give you the call saying they didn't hear anything. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcl23
Sorry to hear about your rattles - can be very frustrating. What year is your Q5 and how many miles? Just curious if you had issues from day 1 or when they started to develop.
My Q5 is 2013 3.0T as I don't drive the car very often it only has 7000 miles on it. When I got it first day, everything was fine and it just got worse and worse over time. It like a rattle trap. Annoying
Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sonicboom
Not to sound like a monster - but I am relieved I am not the only one whose experiencing this. I have a 2015 Q5 2.0 P+ and i have taken it in many for several rattles/creaks. Door panels and the sunroof (the determined it was the rear panels connected to the roof). Truly disappointed at the number of rattles (I am sure the quiet smooth ride has a part to play in the rattles annoyingness factor). Once one is fixed another one appears - then we play detective all over again.

I would advise finding out which conditions trigger the rattle (bumpy roads etc) and then drive around with the tech and make sure he hears that rattle. This way he will communicate this the the service adviser and they cant give you the call saying they didn't hear anything. Good luck.
Thanks for the advise, the tech took the car home with him last night and said that way he will able to hear the rattle more, I hope this time they can solve the problem. I am kind of disappointed in Audi now for how many rattles my Q5 has, this is my first Audi and hope it's not my last...
Old 09-24-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idesi1
Same problem I face in my 2015 Q5TDI and worst thing is the seatbelt area rattle is right above my head and make me more irritated. Now I know some folks would say turn on the radio/music but thats not the solution. Hope they can fix it for u and I will take mines soon..
Keep us update
Got my phone call from the dealer today and told me they were able to find the noises coming from the seat belt housing but other than that they couldn't hear anything. They told me since I have to wait for the part to come in tommorow they will try to find it again so at least they did something.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2014 TDI

My late model year Q5 has been good in the area. Aside from feeling paranoid after getting my first scratch and now a crack in my front windshield from a rock, she has been silent except for that engine purr (and vent fan at higher speeds). The question I can't help ponder is 2015 being the last year of the current model is presenting new issues. I hope the dealerships remain helpful as rattles would annoy me in a car being as costly as it is.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davey001
The question I can't help ponder is 2015 being the last year of the current model is presenting new issues.
Most tools/manufacturing machines have a predetermined useful life. That useful life is something that's engineered into them. For example, the machine will cost X if it was designed to last 6 years, but it will cost X+Y if it was designed to last 12 years.

Towards the end of their useful life, these machines no longer make parts as accurately and precisely as before. The parts may still be within spec, but just barely. Now, the robots used to put these just barely within spec parts together also wear out and may not be putting these parts together as well as before, but still within spec. Add it all up, and you get a car that starts rattling or breaking down faster.

It's cheaper for a manufacturer to address these issues post-sale as part of warranty work than to retool the whole factory early or to invest in tools that have a much longer useful life when a complete vehicle redesign happens every 6 years or so.

I hope I'm wrong about this and things aren't as bad as it sounds because we have a Q5 on order as well, and one of the reasons we chose it is that it's been around for a while so all the bugs should have been worked out by now.

Quick Reply: my Q5 in the shop for rattles again...