Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Need help from tech guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from tech guys

Hello,

Tech guys in this forum, I need your help.

I have been dealing with this issue for a while and now I found a way to "temporarely" resolve it.

I have almost no heat comming out of the ventilation if the engine is not running at at least 2000 RPMs.

I was told that an air bubble could be the cause and I followed a procedure to remove it without any success.

I spoke to my dealer and they say it must be the thermostat.

Yesterday I took a VCDS and connected it to my car. It found this error code:

1 Fault Found:

01020 - Water Pump (V36)
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 187
Mileage: 137142 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.01.27
Time: 07:43:05

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 14.20 V
Temperature: 51.0°C
Current: 0.000 A
Voltage: 0.00 V
Voltage: 0.63 V
Bin. Bits: 00000000
RPM: 1840 /min
Load: 1.3 %

If I clear the code, immediately the heat starts to flow in the air vents. No need to get the engine rev at 2000RPM.

The problem is that this code reappears after a short while. So the does the cold air!

What could be causing this fault? I could not find any info regarding a water pump that was short to the ground... Is there any sensor attached to the water pump?

Thank you for your help.

Martin
Old 01-27-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im going to take a guess... but perhaps there is a water circulating pump especially for the heater (not the engine cooling water pump).... and this pump or its wiring has a problem resulting in a overcurrent situation which is detected by the electronics resulting in the pump being disabled.

I suggest you give the VCDS output to the dealer service dept and they should be able to tell you what is going on... and if they say its the thermostat, Id probably run away.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

The V36 is an "electrical" coolant recirculating pump. You live in Canada and your engine may have this. I don't think that the US versions do, but I could be wrong.

Per Audi...........

Electric coolant pumps
Depending on the engine version, coolant circulation is achieved using various pumps. When the engine is
running, the engine coolant pump is assisted by these electrically-driven pumps.
In vehicles equipped with an 8-cylinder engine or a 6-cylinder diesel engine, the coolant circulation pump V50
is installed. In vehicles with a 6-cylinder petrol engine, the water pump V36 is used.
Vehicles equipped with a 6-cylinder petrol engine and an auxiliary heater are equipped with both electric
coolant pumps (V36 and V50).
Note

Note
In the event of poor heater output,
the function and performance of the
electric coolant pumps in the coolant
circuit must be checked. The engine
coolant pump and the electric coolant
pumps V36 and V50 may work against
one another, preventing sufficient
coolant flowing to the heat exchanger

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 01-27-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Don Keener
Im going to take a guess... but perhaps there is a water circulating pump especially for the heater (not the engine cooling water pump).... and this pump or its wiring has a problem resulting in a overcurrent situation which is detected by the electronics resulting in the pump being disabled.

I suggest you give the VCDS output to the dealer service dept and they should be able to tell you what is going on... and if they say its the thermostat, Id probably run away.
I took my car to the dealer this morning. The good thing is that they were aware that my car is equipped with an electrical recirculating pump. They will investigate why I have this error. It will probably result in a replacement.

I was just wondering if the pump is in the cab or in the engine bay... I could not find it in any diagram on the net.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Martin
Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default It's in the engine bay...........

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
I took my car to the dealer this morning. The good thing is that they were aware that my car is equipped with an electrical recirculating pump. They will investigate why I have this error. It will probably result in a replacement.

I was just wondering if the pump is in the cab or in the engine bay... I could not find it in any diagram on the net.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Martin
Good luck!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Good luck!
Well... No luck for me.

The dealer just called...

They want to change the secondary water pump... 1000$. But they are not sure it will fix the problem.

I told them to go to hell!

Martin
Old 01-28-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Martin, why isn't this covered by warranty?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Martin, why isn't this covered by warranty?
Not after 4 years...

I own a 2010 and don't have extended warranty.

My problem is not with the fact that it is 1000$ (plus taxes), it is with the idea that they don't really know what is going on.

I gave them the diagnostic (the error code) and they spent 3 hours on my car telling me: "well, it appears that the pump sometimes gets a ground fault error". Wow I am really impressed! (ok maybe a bit too much sarcasm here). So to resolve the issue they decide to replace the pump and, in theirs words :"see what happens".

I know the motor works. It does when the error code is cleared, so why replace it?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, it's entirely possible the pump is failing.

I think that pump is ultimately controlled by the ECU.

Do you know which engine you have? V6?? Is the pump really that expensive?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why isn't the dealer using their Guided Fault Finding process on this??

Additional discussion w/diagram: Audi Workshop Manuals > A4 Mk3 > Heating, ventilation, air conditioning system > Air conditioning > Air conditioner > Components for control and regulation of air conditioner not located in passenger compartment > Components not located in passenger

Quick Reply: Need help from tech guys