Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Need help from tech guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after a week, my pump officially died...

I can hear it turns, but there is now flow at all. It happened after a very cold night (-28C or -18F). Probably the ECU was right at detecting a fault.

Anyhow, I ordered the replacement at Jim Ellis. Will cost 250$ CAD (Damned exchange rate!) and I will change it myself once I receive it.

TIP: If for any reason you need to order stuff from Jim Ellis, better check if your part is available from VW. My pump is used on several VW model and ordering it from the VW division costed me around 20$ less than from the Audi one. Strangely the shipping was more expensive coming from Audi... They probably assume that Audi owner won't mind spending more for the same part!

I will let you know how the replacement went.

Cheers

Martin
Old 02-11-2015, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Anyhow, I ordered the replacement at Jim Ellis. Will cost 250$ CAD (Damned exchange rate!) and I will change it myself once I receive it.

TIP: If for any reason you need to order stuff from Jim Ellis, better check if your part is available from VW. My pump is used on several VW model and ordering it from the VW division costed me around 20$ less than from the Audi one.
Cheers

Martin

Interestingly, on web page the difference is only $ 2,5 not $ 20. The difference for shipping is $ 10

Audi: $ 159.99 Additional water pump made by Audi. #1K0965561G

VW: $157.43 Additional water pump for vehicle use in moderate clima zones. Water made by Volkswagen VW. #1K0965561G

Last edited by spijun; 02-11-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default I'm glad the pump failed..........

Well, after a week, my pump officially died...

I can hear it turns, but there is now flow at all. It happened after a very cold night (-28C or -18F). Probably the ECU was right at detecting a fault.

TIP: If for any reason you need to order stuff from Jim Ellis, better check if your part is available from VW. My pump is used on several VW model and ordering it from the VW division costed me around 20$ less than from the Audi one. Strangely the shipping was more expensive coming from Audi... They probably assume that Audi owner won't mind spending more for the same part!

I will let you know how the replacement went.

Cheers

Martin
no more guessing, and wasting money!

Keep us posted.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Interestingly, on web page the difference is only $ 2,5 not $ 20. The difference for shipping is $ 10

Audi: $ 159.99 Additional water pump made by Audi. #1K0965561G

VW: $157.43 Additional water pump for vehicle use in moderate clima zones. Water made by Volkswagen VW. #1K0965561G
Yes... but add in the exchange rate and the difference is almost 20$.

But 2$ difference for the exact same part, this is weird...
Old 02-26-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I hope this is over! :)

I installed the new pump yesterday. So far no new error code and a lot of warm air in the car!

I had a little surprise when I went to the post office: 30$ of custom fees... Oh well... overall it will still cost me less than the dealer.

What I learned from this episode: When you have the error code in hand specifying what part is in trouble, don't count on your dealer to try to find out solutions other than replacing it. Save the trouble and the money and plan its replacement right away!

It might sound funny, but I had a lot of fun playing around my car. The thing I noticed is how well it is built and protected. After 5 years, there is no traces of rust anywhere. It helps to have so much aluminum parts. And I live in Quebec where 4-5 months per year the car has to live with a lot of salt and water mix on the road.

Cheers,

Martin
Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

I installed the new pump yesterday. So far no new error code and a lot of warm air in the car!

I had a little surprise when I went to the post office: 30$ of custom fees... Oh well... overall it will still cost me less than the dealer.

What I learned from this episode: When you have the error code in hand specifying what part is in trouble, don't count on your dealer to try to find out solutions other than replacing it. Save the trouble and the money and plan its replacement right away!

It might sound funny, but I had a lot of fun playing around my car. The thing I noticed is how well it is built and protected. After 5 years, there is no traces of rust anywhere. It helps to have so much aluminum parts. And I live in Quebec where 4-5 months per year the car has to live with a lot of salt and water mix on the road.

Cheers,

Martin
Nice to hear that so far the pump was the problem, and I'm sure it was!!!!