Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Audi Question...break-in period required?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Audi Question...break-in period required?

I just ordered an Audi SQ5, and I've never owned an Audi before. When new, do they require a break-in period for the engine. Is there a certain RPM not to exceed for a set amount of miles? I know that many American vehicle say there's no break-in required now-days. But my father bought a Porsche earlier this year, and the Porsche manual was very specific to keep the engine RPM under 4000 RPM for the first 2000 miles. So I was wondering about the Audi in this regard.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great question! Thanks for asking it. My Q5 (TDI) is scheduled for delivery next month, it's also my first Audi, and I too wonder about whether a break-in period is required and if so, what the guidelines are for how one should go about that. I'll be curious to read the replies.

Congrats on your SQ5 order!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer told me that the rings are already seated. The break-in period is for the tranny. He just said to not use sport-mode and try to keep it under 5K RPM until after 500 miles...for what it's worth.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I've always felt that Audi, which has spent millions of dollars on engine research and development over dozens of years is probably the best source for accurate break-in advice. Hence, I've always followed the recommendations as found in the car's manual.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Hence, I've always followed the recommendations as found in the car's manual.
So for those of us who do not yet own one, what does it say on the subject?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by metta
Great question! Thanks for asking it. My Q5 (TDI) is scheduled for delivery next month, it's also my first Audi, and I too wonder about whether a break-in period is required and if so, what the guidelines are for how one should go about that. I'll be curious to read the replies.

Congrats on your SQ5 order!
In my 2014 Q5 owner's manual, specific to the break in period, it states:

" The engine needs to be run-in during the first 1,000 miles.

For the first 600 miles:
-Do not use full throttle.
-Do not drive at engine speeds that are more than 2/3 of the maximum permitted RPM.

From 600 to 1,000 miles:
-Speeds can gradually be increased to the maximum permissible road or engine speed.

During and after break-in period:
-Do not rev the engine up to high speeds when it is cold. This applies whether the transmission is in N(Neutral) or in gear.

After break-in period:
-Do not exceed maximum engine speed under any circumstances.
-Upshifting into next higher gear before reaching red area at the end of the tachometer scale.

During the first few hours of driving, the engine's internal friction is higher than later when all the moving parts have been broken in. How well this break-in process is done depends to a considerable extent on the way the vehicle is driven during the first 1,000 miles."

Last edited by - B -; 09-16-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default +1 on snagitseven's feedback. What manual says:

(at least as of 2013). First 600 miles, take it easy and don't exceed ⅔ or max RPM. Thus, per the earlier Porsche reference, for a gas motor around 4000 rpm max. Assuming it still says the same, adjust RPM downward for TDI's.

Then from 600 to 1000 miles, gradually increase (their italics) to full performance use as needed. Separately, they say take it easy on the brakes for the first 250 miles; that's also a decent recommendation for any new brake and rotor set, or tires for that matter.

Having even done it in Germany with the Q5 on Euro delivery, it wasn't that hard with an 8 speed since it has lots of gears to shift up to anyway. A little harder to be 100% sure w/ the Hybrid that uniquely has no tach, but I could do it by sound/feel pretty easily.

Somewhat unsaid, but not a great idea to tow anything substantial until it is broken in a bit.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

Having even done it in Germany with the Q5 on Euro delivery, it wasn't that hard with an 8 speed since it has lots of gears to shift up to anyway.
Yeah, the 8 speed almost makes it difficult to get it higher than 2/3 of the tachometer unless your in Sport mode. Naturally the transmission will shift gears and keep the revs rather low.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

My Q has a little over 4k on its TDI engine and transmission. I am definitely noticing a difference in the engine now that it has become broken-in. It seems stronger than it did initially. The torque has become more pronounced in the last 1,000 miles.

For its first oil change and service they recommend 5,000 miles or 1 year, but I contacted AoA and they stated that they recommend its first service window to open as early as 4,500 miles. So if your eager to have your first service, you should probably keep it within that window and not jump the gun. Then it's every 10,000 miles there after.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
So for those of us who do not yet own one, what does it say on the subject?
You have one in digital format maybe you forgot, here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24602650

Last edited by spijun; 09-16-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: New Audi Question...break-in period required?