Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Blizzak LM-80 V rated Non-RF Snow Tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Blizzak LM-80 V rated Non-RF Snow Tire

Blizzak has released the LM-80 high performance snow tire in a non-run flat V speed rated version. How do you all think it will compare to the Pirelli Ice and Snow and the other usual snow tire competitors relative to: Snow performance, tire tread noise, dry weather performance/handling etc...

Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't see an edit button so I figured I would supplement my first post. I have read about the Yokohama Ice Guard Ig51V, the Nokians, the Dunlop 3d and various Michelins. Porsche owners tire of choice is the Pirelli Scorpion Ice &Snow, which is also popular among the BMW crowd. I have not owned Blizzaks before as I have always read they are a bit loud and the rubber can be soft/mushy which can impede winter handling. Does the LM-80 bridge the gap between an aggressive snow tire (fairly loud tread noise, poor dry road handling, exceptional snow and ice performance) and a high performance snow tire (low tire noise, good dry road handling, fair snow and ice performance)?

I live in New England. Excessive tread noise is something I would like to avoid. I have it narrowed down to the Pirelli or the LM-80. I posted a link for those not familiar with this Blizzak. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right now the availability seems to be very limited. TireRack is only showing it in 3 sizes, and none of them are in the size I need, so I'm not even looking at them.

Since they're in the "Performance Snow" category, I'd expect them to be comparable to Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. Time will tell, I guess.

As for me, I am most likely going to go with Nokian Hakka R2. We get a ton of snow here in western Michigan, so I need something that can handle it, even if that means somewhat poorer dry road manners. The Q5 is a frigging truck afterall, not a sports car, so I'm OK with that tradeoff.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 10-09-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this vid is from 2011...did you see a press release they were coming out with a non RF V rated version in our size somewhere? I may end up going Dunlop 3d due to very limited need for actual snow traction (im in DC and anytime theres even a speck on the ground work is cancelled) but would like to retain handling quality in cold weather.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The non-RF has recently been released (2014). The RF version was out in 2012 I believe. I am not sure about all the sizing available.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Living at 10,000 feet in the Rockies and winter 7 months of the year. Nokinan WR 3's or Haka stud less get my vote 100% of the time
Old 10-10-2014, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Right now the availability seems to be very limited. TireRack is only showing it in 3 sizes, and none of them are in the size I need, so I'm not even looking at them.

Since they're in the "Performance Snow" category, I'd expect them to be comparable to Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. Time will tell, I guess.

As for me, I am most likely going to go with Nokian Hakka R2. We get a ton of snow here in western Michigan, so I need something that can handle it, even if that means somewhat poorer dry road manners. The Q5 is a frigging truck afterall, not a sports car, so I'm OK with that tradeoff.
Pete,

Once and a while, a post really sums up reality so well - for me. Your sentence :
The Q5 is a frigging truck afterall, not a sports car, so I'm OK with that tradeoff. really sums it up well. Last winter upon TireRack's and positive feedback from AW members, I bought the Blizzaks and am happy with them for the NJ winter conditions. Now, I did happen to buy late into the season, so some tires were out of stock but again I am happy with my selection. I never push the Q5 anyhow - with a speeding ticket already on my license and NJS troopers on the major parkways here, but I can tell the handling difference with my OEM tires (Michelin's) and the Blizzaks but they are snow tires and do what they are supposed to do and I do what I am supposed to do in snowy/icy conditions and that is to reduce speed and drive with extra caution. With snow tires, I'll error on the side of grip rather than performance.

Bob

Last edited by Festoolbob; 10-10-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have no true experience with the HP version of the Blizzak however I do use the original version on my Denali and they are a HUGE improvement over the hancook that i use throughout the rest of the year. I pull a 27ft enclosed snowmobile trailer in the snowbelt of NY with no problem.

I will agree that they are soft and it is key that you remove them immediately after you believe the snow and ice are complete because they will wear quickly.

I have never tried the Nokinan but the tread pattern looks good.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am a very cautious driver in general, especially in winter conditions. I just prefer that when the roads are dry and to the bare pavement (which is 90% of the time in New England) that I am not left with loud snow tires with mushy sidewalls. I notice that low speed rated sidewalls effect handling and steering response at All speeds, even low speeds around an off ramp. I am very well aware that modern SUVs are not sports cars, but I do enjoy what a precision tires brings to the table.

Thanks for your feedback rorischak.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SUV55, it sounds like a high speed rated winter tire is in fact what you should purchase, based on your priorities. I would also look at Nokian WRG3, which is available in V-rating.

With that said, I have Q-rated winter tires for my old BMW, and steering response has never been an issue. But as I get older, I don't drive as aggressively as I once used to, so YMMV.

Quick Reply: New Blizzak LM-80 V rated Non-RF Snow Tire