Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Member...Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member...Couple of Questions

Hello all, new Audi Q5 owner here.

Recently purchased a 2013 Q5, in relatively great condition with 19K miles. I have been reading as much as I can about these, almost bought a new Q3 two weeks ago after I test drove it, but I didn’t have my car to trade in, a VW Passat with the Takata air bag issue.

Anyways, with both kids into sports now, the VW wasn’t cutting it size wise, and the Q3 I thought was going to do it, but after driving, then seeing the Q5, I decided that is what I wanted.

Now – I go home, get my Passat and take it back to the dealer, and WHAM, sorry, since there is no real fix yet for the VW Passat Takata air bag issue, we really can’t offer you anywhere near bluebook for the car. Great VW…..almost made me not want to get the Q5, but at least I didn’t go back to that dealer, I got a great deal, and blue book for the Passat on the 2013 Q5.

Anyways, I plan to scour this forum for the next few days seeking put any tips, tricks and upgrades, but I do want to ask a couple questions off the bat…..

First – one small complaint is the “wet sock” smell coming from the a/c system. I got the cleaning scheduled because I can’t find anyone that sells the BG Frigi-Clean to non-dealers, I’m hoping that this does the trick. I replaced the cabin filter, the drain isn’t blocked, it’s been detailed, so I am hoping this does the trick. Has anyone been able to find the BG Frigi Clean?

Second – this does not have navigation, but I wasn’t too upset about that. BUT, after I got it home, I realized that the head unit display I sort of scratched up, and looks dirty, but I can’t clean it off, it’s almost like something was sprayed on it, and stained it.

I found a few of the plain replacement screens on-line, but then I came across an upgrade from radio-upgrade.com.

http://radio-upgrade...ct_detail&p=288

Has anyone installed one of these, or any other aftermarket unit?

If I am going to pop off part of the dash to replace the screen, might as well see if there is another replacement that might give me some options.

Thanks in advance for any insight…

JJ in Pittsburgh
Old 06-23-2016, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Be careful
Something strange is the price, the same model SKU: RU-HL-8828GB has two different prices:
A4 for $ 499
Q5 for $ 595

Replacing display
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2835011/page8/

NAV:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2870884/page6/

Last edited by spijun; 06-23-2016 at 11:51 AM.