Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New noise or rattle near seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New noise or rattle near seatbelt

OK, I'm trying not to be too picky, but I haven't had my SQ5 a week yet and I have a rattle that is driving me crazy.

When I first picked the car up last Monday, I drove the car around listening for any noise that shouldn't be there. All was good. After 3 days of having the car, I have picked up two rattles that I have not been able to locate as of yet.

Both rattles seem to be the same issue except one is on the driver side door area and one one the passenger side door area next to where the seat belt is mounted. The rattle sounds like glass vibrating. Since it is right next to my head, this is all I hear now. I've contacted my sales person about bringing the car in for the service department to see if they can locate the culprit that is making the noise.

Has anyone here experience this rattle before?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a very similar experience with my SQ5. Basically, I had noticed rattling noises in the rear seat area (specifically behind the drivers seat) and on both front drivers and passenger doors.

I took it to DFW Audi here in Dallas, TX and the following was performed to address the issues:

1) Rear Seat rattle, loosened the rear set frame bolts (4 of them if I'm not mistaken?) and retightened them.

2) Driver / Passenger front door (specifically, right below the arm rest areas... if you lightly hit that area you will hear the rattle), the technician added additional felt tape as some fasteners were a bit loose (plastic).
Old 08-16-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jengram
OK, I'm trying not to be too picky, but I haven't had my SQ5 a week yet and I have a rattle that is driving me crazy.

When I first picked the car up last Monday, I drove the car around listening for any noise that shouldn't be there. All was good. After 3 days of having the car, I have picked up two rattles that I have not been able to locate as of yet.

Both rattles seem to be the same issue except one is on the driver side door area and one one the passenger side door area next to where the seat belt is mounted. The rattle sounds like glass vibrating. Since it is right next to my head, this is all I hear now. I've contacted my sales person about bringing the car in for the service department to see if they can locate the culprit that is making the noise.

Has anyone here experience this rattle before?
I have the same ratting noise on my 2 month old 2015 Q5. I have actually found where the ratting noise came from. The noise is coming from somewhere inside the rear driver side door, I know it because when I push against the top right corner of the door trim its makes that glass rattling sound. The noise actually stopped for couple weeks now when I tried to push the door trim a bit.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

We have the same rattle in the passenger side b-pillar where the seatbelt height adjustment linkage is. I have an appointment with Santa Barbara Audi on Tuesday to have it addressed. Ill report back what they say.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just notice the same driver side seatbelt noise from my 2 weeks old 2016 SQ5 today. I have another rattle from cargo cover. kind of disappointed by the Audi quality compare to my old Infiniti.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rattle update...

No matter where I pushed on the area around the seat belt adjuster, I couldn't find the location that rattled.
The as my wife was closing the passenger side door while I was still in the car, my door rattled. I then got out of the car and stood next to the drivers door an she shut the passenger door again and I could hear the rattle again. Every time she would close the passenger door, the driver door would rattle. I then started pushing on the outside of the driver's front and rear doors while she closed the passenger door again and the rattle was gone. I still am not sure why it stopped, but it was gone.
I drove around for several hours and still no rattle, but this afternoon the rattle was back. There has to be something about how the doors are closing. I hope it is something simple that can be adjusted.
I'm trying to set something up to take the car in and have it checked out. I'll update when I know more.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jengram
Rattle update...

No matter where I pushed on the area around the seat belt adjuster, I couldn't find the location that rattled.
The as my wife was closing the passenger side door while I was still in the car, my door rattled. I then got out of the car and stood next to the drivers door an she shut the passenger door again and I could hear the rattle again. Every time she would close the passenger door, the driver door would rattle. I then started pushing on the outside of the driver's front and rear doors while she closed the passenger door again and the rattle was gone. I still am not sure why it stopped, but it was gone.
I drove around for several hours and still no rattle, but this afternoon the rattle was back. There has to be something about how the doors are closing. I hope it is something simple that can be adjusted.
I'm trying to set something up to take the car in and have it checked out. I'll update when I know more.
What you are saying is exactly what I am experiencing. It's not the seat belt adjuster. You can try pushing the Door trim of the rear passenger door next to the same belt adjuster and on top of rear door speaker maybe you can hear that noise. At least that's what I did and so far I haven't heared anything for couple weeks now.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does this rattle get more evident when you hit some bumps?

It could be either
#1 Wood trim on the door - just touch the wood trim next time you hear this rattle and see if it stops.
#2 Clip that holds the wires in the door - you need to talk to your service rep for this

Cheers
Old 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had an annoying rattle in the driver side door area as well, but mine was coming from lower, more by the my left hip area. Turned out it was the bottom of the door cubbie, for whatever reason it is not connected along the bottom edge and it would vibrate when the car was idling or over bumps. A piece of felt side Velcro has fixed the issue.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just dropped off my car at the dealer so they can try and locate the rattle I am hearing. When they heard the noise, the tech said he knew where the noise was coming. We will see once I get my car back. He said the seat belt coil spring can vibrate and touch on both sides of the b-pillar causing this noise. He said the fix is to add a felt pad inside the b-pillar to both sides of the spring and this should stop the noise.
If this is the case, Audi needs to change the design and correct this issue. Maybe I'm being too picky, but adding felt tape to correct a design flaw on a 60K car is not good!

Quick Reply: New noise or rattle near seatbelt