Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New tires before a trade

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a Carmax nearby, you can always take your Q5 there and see what they'll give you for it - they'll appraise your car and give you a written offer that's good for 7 days, without any haggling or expecting you to buy a car from them. I used them last year when we were getting a new vehicle for my wife and they offered over $3k more than the best the dealer was willing to give us for my wife's trade...the difference was big enough that it even made up for the lost sales tax savings that we would've gotten if we traded to the dealer, and we still came out about $1k more, net, then if we'd traded to dealer.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
DO NOT replace the tires. Dealer will have to do so anyway -- even if you bring them in with 99% tread -- to sell the car to the new buyer. CPO or not.
Is that a law somewhere? I've never heard that a dealer is required to put new tires on a used car before they sell it unless they're below minimum tread depth.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audi40
If you have a Carmax nearby, you can always take your Q5 there and see what they'll give you for it - they'll appraise your car and give you a written offer that's good for 7 days, without any haggling or expecting you to buy a car from them. I used them last year when we were getting a new vehicle for my wife and they offered over $3k more than the best the dealer was willing to give us for my wife's trade...the difference was big enough that it even made up for the lost sales tax savings that we would've gotten if we traded to the dealer, and we still came out about $1k more, net, then if we'd traded to dealer.
CarMax is only worth it if you have a newer car that is in demand. If you don't, they will give you a laughable offer. When we bought our Q5, the dealer was going to give us $12k for a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer with about 50k miles. We thought we might get more from CarMax...yeah right...they offered us just under $10k. It's a joke. They way they "present" your offer and make it seem like they are doing you a favor. And I know a bunch of friends and coworkers with the same experience.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Thunder22
Is that a law somewhere? I've never heard that a dealer is required to put new tires on a used car before they sell it unless they're below minimum tread depth.
Never heard of this either...
Old 08-27-2015, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Thunder22
No "law" -- just Porsche policy per my dealer. As good as a law IMO.

(Also, Audi. My DD is a Q5.)
Old 08-27-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
Never heard of this either...
Dealer policy per both my local Porsche and Audi dealer. See my reply to Thunderhead above.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

No "law" -- just Porsche policy per my dealer. As good as a law IMO.

(Also, Audi. My DD is a Q5.)
Dealer policy per both my local Porsche and Audi dealer. See my reply to Thunderhead above.

There is no possible way that every Porsche/Audi dealer replaces the tires on every car it takes in trade and sells regardless of condition. No way.

Last edited by Thunder22; 08-27-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

And even if it is your local dealer's policy, what does that have to do with the OP unless he's trading in to your local dealer.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
CarMax is only worth it if you have a newer car that is in demand. If you don't, they will give you a laughable offer. When we bought our Q5, the dealer was going to give us $12k for a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer with about 50k miles. We thought we might get more from CarMax...yeah right...they offered us just under $10k. It's a joke. They way they "present" your offer and make it seem like they are doing you a favor. And I know a bunch of friends and coworkers with the same experience.
Yes, we did this today actually. And they commented "All the potential buyers here today are eyeing your car and hoping you make the sale." Hee hee. Then they offered me 3K more than the dealer had on the trade.

However, this is the first "high demand" car I've taken to them. All the other cars have received lowball offers.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

CarMax is usually pretty straightforward about what they want. Newer cars, typically less than 5 years and 50,000 miles or something like that. Cars with no major accident or body damage, what a used car buyer would call "Clean" cars.

And they say that to the buyers and sellers alike. That when you buy a car from them, it will be a "clean" used car, not a clip job, not a beater.

The only difference at a new car dealer is that THEY will all wholesale off an older car or one with damage and mileage. The new car dealers all play the "four corners" game, hiding the new car sale price, the used car trade in price, and anything else (like rebates or finance) and just giving you one final price for the whole bundle. Allowing them to hide any of the actual pieces and not offend you while they try to steal a clean used car.

And obviously, you can always sell your own used car for more. They've got to make a profit on it, but they figure a standard profit margin. Unlike the dealer, who will try to get the most they can in any situation.

Quick Reply: New tires before a trade