Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another possibility is VAG distributing compensation, but only payable/redeemable if the car is brought in for the detune.

I own one of the effected vehicles. I bought a 2009 VW TDI Sportwagon, "2009 Green Car of the Year" (my ****!). I will NOT bring it it to be "rewarded" with less performance and higher fuel consumption unless forced to, by hook, crook, or bribery. Less power and less performance are not what I signed up for when I bought the car.

I don't mind at all that Audi screwed USEPA. But as the blah blah 9/29/15 letter from VAG CEO NA says, they dang better "...make it right...". A buyback well above blue book, or 50% off a new car sounds about right to me.

I've been screwed over by VAG 3 times in a row. They got me in 2007 with the carbon buildup issue on my RS4 that they vehemently denied existed when I spoke to regional. Everyone knows better, now. Then again with the Q5, again denying carbon existed, now everyone knows better - and now this! How ironic that "Truth in Engineering" is all just a HUGE, HUGE lie.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
How ironic that "Truth in Engineering" is all just a HUGE, HUGE lie.
Ha! I never read the Audi tag-line quite the same way as I just did. Being completely immersed in engineering day in and day out, I've seen it all, but I can't say I have ever run across the need to proclaim "Truth" in engineering...as if Un-Truth was an intentional option.

Kind of like the Best Buy sales dude that starts out with "Honestly...". OK. Nevermind, I now believe nothing that you're going to spew going forward.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

German police raid scandal-hit Volkswagen's HQ: prosecutors
Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As this whole thing continues to unfold, I'm really surprised that Audi hasn't pulled the "Truth in engineering" slogan, at least temporarily. It seems like it's time for a completely new one though.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My city is suing VW it looks like:

FOX 4 has learned that the City of Dallas is planning to sue Volkswagen over its phony clean emissions claims.

During a closed session on Wednesday, the city directed its attorney to move forward with suing Volkswagen, according to sources.

Dallas plans to sue Volkswagen over emissions - Story | KDFW
Old 10-08-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This sh*t is getting real now.

Some peeps are going to jail.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
As this whole thing continues to unfold, I'm really surprised that Audi hasn't pulled the "Truth in engineering" slogan, at least temporarily. It seems like it's time for a completely new one though.
"Some Truth in Engineering".
Old 10-08-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
My city is suing VW it looks like:

FOX 4 has learned that the City of Dallas is planning to sue Volkswagen over its phony clean emissions claims.

During a closed session on Wednesday, the city directed its attorney to move forward with suing Volkswagen, according to sources.

Dallas plans to sue Volkswagen over emissions - Story | KDFW
Getting on the bandwagon for some bucks.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The police raid arguably should have happened as soon as the news broke, to ensure that no one purged email files and destroyed other evidence. The fact that it just happened "now" and only in Germany (not at VW America as well) could be seen as someone giving VW enough time to destroy or mislay evidence, very generously.

But in terms of what owners will be able to do to avoid a fix they don't like? I don't think they will have a choice. Those cars, in the US, are not legal to operate. I would expect part of the EPA/DOT resolution to this will include the fact that the cars MUST be fixed, or some compensation made for the pollution, and that whatever the settlement is, owners will be told they have one year in which to comply (if equipment is to be added) and that after that, the cars will no longer be legal on the road. Yes, California is among the states where they'll actually send a tow truck to haul your car away and scrap it for emissions or import violations. Pretty much every state knows how to tow vehicles that are on "scofflaw" lists, or have no insurance and registration, or have other sins to be atoned for.
Intruding into the passenger cabin would obviously not be a good solution for VW. If something that drastic was needed, a buyback offer would be the only way to avoid massive shunning by the customers in general.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default VW - US Senate hearing, today's discussion.......

VW scandal: Volkswagen HQ raided by German prosecutors as US boss faces grilling by Senate - Live - Telegraph

Scroll down the page............

Quick Reply: NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall