Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you say Class Action Lawsuit?

Let's not even BEGIN to think about the hit our resale values will take if our cars are recalled.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not happy about a performance or MPG hit because Audi/VW couldn't do it right the first time, give me a solution with minimal impact to me or buy my car back I say (this assumes the 3.0TDI is recalled)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Moral - never assume you are way smarter than the one you are going to fool.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:43 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Some more of the back story on this which I can only call a scandal: Volkswagen Emissions Cheating Found by Curious Clean-Air Group - Bloomberg Business
Steve
Old 09-20-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Some more of the back story on this which I can only call a scandal: Volkswagen Emissions Cheating Found by Curious Clean-Air Group - Bloomberg Business
Steve
Interesting that x5 passed the tests and it has v6. So, it's possible that only 4 cylinders engines were impacted and 6 cylinders having more power actually were designed to sacrifice some power to deliver clean emission results.

BMW and MB also use 4 cyl diesel so would be interesting to hear if they use the same 'technology' to pass the tests.

On positive note we can expect huge sale event for Audi and even Porsche including gasoline engines.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default VW Press Release Today

Wolfsburg, 2015-09-20

Statement of Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, CEO of Volkswagen AG:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board (EPA and CARB) revealed their findings that while testing diesel cars of the Volkswagen Group they have detected manipulations that violate American environmental standards.

The Board of Management at Volkswagen AG takes these findings very seriously. I personally am deeply sorry that we have broken the trust of our customers and the public. We will cooperate fully with the responsible agencies, with transparency and urgency, to clearly, openly, and completely establish all of the facts of this case. Volkswagen has ordered an external investigation of this matter.

We do not and will not tolerate violations of any kind of our internal rules or of the law.

The trust of our customers and the public is and continues to be our most important asset. We at Volkswagen will do everything that must be done in order to re-establish the trust that so many people have placed in us, and we will do everything necessary in order to reverse the damage this has caused. This matter has first priority for me, personally, and for our entire Board of Management.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 09-20-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

First... I love my 2014 Q5 TDI...

That being said I did buy it with an understanding of what I was getting and if our TDI are recalled due to this finding and the solution is less power to remain legal in the U.S. or since in live in CA even stricter rules I will be "pissed" and will see immediate recourse. I'm unsure how Audi would handle the situation but if the hp and mileage drops due to this issue it won't be an acceptable solution and I'll be the first to lead a lawsuit on the grounds of false advertisement.

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
Can you say Class Action Lawsuit?

Let's not even BEGIN to think about the hit our resale values will take if our cars are recalled.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not happy about a performance or MPG hit because Audi/VW couldn't do it right the first time, give me a solution with minimal impact to me or buy my car back I say (this assumes the 3.0TDI is recalled)
Old 09-20-2015, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Agree....happy with the A6 TDI but displeased with the company's antics.

Given that Honda and Ford have been caught in the past (see below), wonder how many other makes have done/are doing the same sort of nonsense. Perhaps all makes and models should be tested in a similar fashion.

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...nts/defeat.pdf
Old 09-20-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

That will probably mean that we won't see SQ5 TDI in NA anytime soon.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I think the reason the 2.0 is nicked is because of the lack of DEF.. The bigger cars use DEF, and I think it's easier to get them to make good power cleanly.

The SQ5 TDI issue is because that car does not have a DEF system, but it will soon. Then, maybe, just maybe..
Old 09-20-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sh*t will be hitting the fan for Diesel VW owners

There's a reason why VW put in the "defeat device", and I strongly suspect it's a serious performance issue, both in terms of vehicle drivability and MPG. When the vehicles get recalled and their software revised to remove the defeat device, owners will likely be very unhappy with the result. They have to make up for a factor of 40 in emissions.

We'll have to see if Q5 TDIs will be impacted.

The lawyers are licking their lips.

Quick Reply: NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall