Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

OEM Audi windshield washer fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by timlocke
They do use a lot especially when the headlight washers do their thing. IIRC the reservoir holds about 6 litres.
Good to know, thanks. Is the headlight washer able to be turned off?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Another related question. We have had our Q5 for two weeks, and though it has been kind of crappy weather, and we have used the washer a bit, it ran out the other day. When I refilled it (with Prestone washer fluid eek) it took the whole gallon. Do these use a lot of fluid, or was mine not fully filled from the factory/dealership?
Watch the Prestone fluid. certain types will damage the washer reservoir level sensor. Google!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Watch the Prestone fluid. certain types will damage the washer reservoir level sensor. Google!
According to the internet ONLY Audi fluid won't. Not much I can do about it, and I refuse to pay $35 for a gallon of fluid.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

According to the internet ONLY Audi fluid won't. Not much I can do about it, and I refuse to pay $35 for a gallon of fluid.
Bunch of BS, the fluid from Advanced Auto, Autozone, Pepboys, even Lowes, etc. at about $2 per gallon, good to -20F is just fine.

I believe that it was only the "Orange" colored Prestone with issues.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Bunch of BS, the fluid from Advanced Auto, Autozone, Pepboys, even Lowes, etc. at about $2 per gallon, good to -20F is just fine.

I believe that it was only the "Orange" colored Prestone with issues.
After somewhat extensive Google research, and only a passing mention of "any Prestone" fluid, I tend to agree. By the way, it was Rain X Orange only that seemed to be the issue.

I'm not particularly worried, I still have 4 years of warranty left.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After somewhat extensive Google research, and only a passing mention of "any Prestone" fluid, I tend to agree. By the way, it was Rain X Orange on1ly that seemed to be the issue.

I'm not particularly worried, I still have 4 years of warranty left.
It does seem like Rain X can be the problematic fluid. I don't use it and don't worry about other types.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, thanks. Is the headlight washer able to be turned off?
If the wipers are on AND the headlights are on the headlight washers will squirt every 10th use of the windscreen washers.

I believe VDCS can alter the frequency...somewhere on Audiworld there will be the coding.

FWIW I use cheap -46C fluid from our local supermarket. Leave lurid blue stains everywhere but it does clean the glass.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Been using this stuff for years. Works great
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hummm, took pic with iPad verticalically and pic was not rotated in post preview.... Sorry, not sure glitch is
Old 02-07-2016, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Some internet advice is to use rubbing alcohol as the anti-freeze. ... but it contains about 30% oil "

FWIW, every generic and house-label "rubbing" alcohol I've found on the east coast contains 60-94% isopropanol and water, and nothing else. In the 60's a big brand name was "Lavacol" and THAT contained moisturizers. But in the last 20+ years of looking at labels and using "rubbing alcohol" for all sorts of cleaning and as a solvent...I haven't found anything but isopropyl alcohol and water in it.

Also haven't found any windshield wiper fluid (including some Prestone and RainX) that actually did any better at removing squashed bugs than any of the nameless blue stuff, either. The "Invisible Glass" stuff in the aerosol can seems to be best for that.

On a Cadillac or Opel, when the "low wiper fluid" light comes on, you can add a half gallon (64oz.) bottle. So how come my technologically advanced metric Q5 only holds 63 ounces, even three sprays after the washer fluid light has come on? What, I should pour out the 64th ounce? Or carry it around until next week? Really, Audi...I should be able to pour in two liters, nearly 68 ounces, when that light comes on.

Quick Reply: OEM Audi windshield washer fluid