Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Which OEM tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which OEM tire

Picking up a 2015 Q5 TDI tomorrow and have choice of Conti or Goodyear OEM tires. Thoughts???
Old 03-03-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you live? How do you use your car? What is your driving style?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

The OEM continentals are quieter and ride smoother than OEM Michelins that came on my 13' Q. Im requesting the continentals when my car comes in this week if it didnt come with them. Not sure about the goodyears.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you get to choose which OEM tire you get? That's very unusual. Avoid the Goodyears. They are nothing special at all.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
How do you get to choose which OEM tire you get? That's very unusual. Avoid the Goodyears. They are nothing special at all.
Mine came with the Eagle LS2s and it was a perfectly fine OEM tire (no OEM tire will be anything special). I'm missing them after switching to Scorpion Verde Pluses (seems like there was a change in compound or something, because they had been rated pretty highly previously, but aren't all that great now).

Can't speak to the Continental they use to say whether it's better or worse, but the Goodyears aren't bad.

However, if you're getting a choice, then maybe you could see about ordering a set of tires you want and have the dealer keep the OEM ones? I'm not sure if they've got a stock of extra tires they keep and that's why they're asking, or if they'll swap wheels around, but if they keep OEM tires around then it may not cost you much to order separate tires for them to put on instead of choosing from the main two OEM tires.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've been quite happy with the stock Conti's. Not super-long in wear, but always rode and handled well, good wet grip. I use dedicated snows so can't speak about that.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All the OEM tires are junk. All-seasons are really bad in ALL seasons! Depending on where you live, if it's a location with considerable inclement weather, look into Nokians. Excellent ALL-WEATHER tire made in Finalnd. I'm replacing my Conti's next winter with Nokian WRG3 SUV's. They run perfectly all year round (quite in the summer and great wearing all around).
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Just tell the dealer what tires you want on it.........

Originally Posted by Transfer
from the other new Q5's on the lot. I wanted the Conti's, I special ordered the Q5 and told the dealer that I would only accept the car with the Conti's or I wouldn't pick it up!

I did the same with my previous A4, wanted the Michelin MXM4, the special ordered A4 came with Dunlops, they just switched wheels/tires from a new lot car.

Also, there are tire dealers in my area that will take your brand new tires on your new vehicle as a trade in and give you what you really want for an additional reasonable charge.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default +1........

Originally Posted by Plasticar
I've been quite happy with the stock Conti's. Not super-long in wear, but always rode and handled well, good wet grip. I use dedicated snows so can't speak about that.
I find them very good in the northeastern PA snows this winter.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the Michelins on mine. Great in the dry: quiet and handle well. Good in the rain too.

IN the wet snow, that's another story. I'd say about a 2 out of 10; just slides all over the place; wont even track straight.

Quick Reply: Which OEM tire