Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Please explain steering setting on ADS and hardware.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Audi Q5 on the North American market no optional additional equipment as "Dynamic Steering"

This is an optional feature in the rest of the world and the price is 1000 Euros

This option is available in the MMI because the software for MMI same for all models Q5 / A5 / A4 with/ without Dynamic Steering

ADS:
Audi drive select > Glossary > advice > Audi St. Lucia

Last edited by spijun; 03-29-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, it does something. Reread my post and thread link. I think you are confusing "Dynamic Steering" with the ADS dynamic setting. Dynamic steering affects the ratio and not all cars with ADS have this feature. Otherwise, the ADS dynamic setting will affect the steering effort as I described above and found in the chart I referred to.
Most Audis are now being designed with electric steering. I am not aware that it affects the available ADS functions which operate as before.
Ok now I think I get it. I was indeed confusing dynamic steering with the dynamic setting in MMI under steering. Thank you for the clarification.

So I assume then that even with electromechanical steering, which all Q5's have, the dynamic setting does indeed affect steering effort. Otherwise, why would this option be available in the MMI settings.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by samps
Ok now I think I get it. I was indeed confusing dynamic steering with the dynamic setting in MMI under steering. Thank you for the clarification.

So I assume then that even with electromechanical steering, which all Q5's have, the dynamic setting does indeed affect steering effort. Otherwise, why would this option be available in the MMI settings.
The steering in drive select always has the three modes (comfort, auto, dynamic). With the standard steering, those modes only control how much steering boost is applied. Basically in comfort, the steering needs less effort to turn than it does in dynamic mode.

The optional dynamic steering is different hardware and it is available on the Q5. It's part of the driver assist package, but that package is only available on the Prestige trim. The dynamic steering not only adjusts the steering effort based on the ADS mode, but also the steering ratio. In addition it's integrated with ESP and can make minor adjustments at the handling limit to help the front of the car regain traction and minimize understeer. The dynamic steering is more direct and more responsive and has better feedback.

You can tell from the ADS Individual mode screen whether the car has standard steering or dynamic steering.

Not a Q5, but this car has standard steering.

Also not a Q5, but this car has the dynamic steering.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-29-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Makes sense. So I guess all Q5's have capability to set 'steering' in the MMI with ADS (with just electromechanical) and some have 'dynamic steering' if equipped with the appropriate hardware.

Got it. Thanks everyone.