Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption test completed on 2011 Q5 2.0T

I hope that my experience can be of assistance regarding the oil consumption issue on the Q5 2.0T.
In my experience it took me three visits to the dealership to get the problem fixed.

1/ I went to the dealership at 59,000 miles. At that point, I had to top off the oil every 200 miles. They topped off the oil and told me to call them as soon as the oil light comes on and told me not to put any oil in. The service adviser told me that it was the normal way to handle this issue.
2/ The oil light came on at 59,880 miles. Went to the dealer and they completed Part 1 of the oil consumption test. Pressure regulating valve, damper and seal replaced; software updated; oil measured.
3/ The oil light came back on at 61, 790 miles. The dealer completed Part 2 of the oil consumption test. They found that the car was consuming .56qts of oil per 1000 miles. Audi told them to replace the pistons and rings.

Since then, I have driven about 3,000 miles and I had no issues. The oil level still shows all the way up in the MMI.

Everything was covered by Audi warranty, but they did ask me after the pistons repair to show proofs of regular oil changes.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just curious I know the motors that have an issue have a code of CAEB.. I purchased a 2011 Audi A4 with 34,000 miles a few days ago and have put roughly 350 miles on it haven't had any issues. I've just been reading and would like to know if I happen to have one of those problem motors before. My code is CAE and like six numbers after that. So am I in the clear or should I keep a eye out on the oil level?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, we are set. Our 2011 Q5 with almost 80K went in for new pistons and rings. We got to drive a brand new Q5 while the work was done. It took 4 days and it came back running as well as it did when we dropped it off. No sign of any oil use so we are all good. I'm glad this is set. It has been a fantastic vehicle other then the oil consumption.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default so far so good

Originally Posted by jeff968
Well, we are set. Our 2011 Q5 with almost 80K went in for new pistons and rings. We got to drive a brand new Q5 while the work was done. It took 4 days and it came back running as well as it did when we dropped it off. No sign of any oil use so we are all good. I'm glad this is set. It has been a fantastic vehicle other then the oil consumption.
Well after receiving my car back from the dealer after almost 2 weeks its running great. I haven't gone through any oil so far after roughly 500 hundred miles. I did notice that other people have gotten pistons and rings changed but after reviewing my receipt I noticed they only changed the pistons. Which I found very strange because I have rebuilt a lot of engines and I was taught when you tear a engine down you replace the rings anytime you replace pistons because once you pull pistons out and take rings off you replace them. But the dealer told me they must have been within specs but I'm going to call parts department because they maybe part of the pistons as a package when they come in. But overall I am very satisfied with the rebuild and waiting to have an APR chip done to it but I want to make sure everything is good first. I will keep you updated on how its running.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2009 A4 has been using approx 1qt every 800 miles. I had mentioned it in the past when I brought the car in for service and was told it was normal, so I just drove around with a case of oil in the trunk. 2 weeks ago I bought the car in for service and mentioned it again (having received the notice of class action settlement). They said to call them as soon as the oil light came on again. It came on again in a week, I dropped the car off this week. I was told that they will be replacing the pistons and rings and I will have the car back next week. It has 88K miles on it and Audi is covering everything. My only complaint now is that I have a brand new A6 as a loaner and I will need to return it in a week.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phyllis_ann
My 2009 A4 has been using approx 1qt every 800 miles. I had mentioned it in the past when I brought the car in for service and was told it was normal, so I just drove around with a case of oil in the trunk. 2 weeks ago I bought the car in for service and mentioned it again (having received the notice of class action settlement). They said to call them as soon as the oil light came on again. It came on again in a week, I dropped the car off this week. I was told that they will be replacing the pistons and rings and I will have the car back next week. It has 88K miles on it and Audi is covering everything. My only complaint now is that I have a brand new A6 as a loaner and I will need to return it in a week.
Keep the A6 and tell them they can have your Q!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi is out of warranty with oil issues

We own a 2011 A4 Quattro, here is my issue, in 2012 with 37k miles we had the car serviced as it was burning oil at about 1qt every 1400 miles , we have the work order stating they did an oil consumption test but they never mentioned about a step 2 just that it was fine. We had purchased the 100k extended warranty. Last September the oil comsumption rate for a quart was down to 1000 miles so again we brought it in and the service rep said they couldn't find a leak or anything but to note the mileage and call so they could track it. I called again 3 weeks later to find he was no longer employed and spoke to another service rep. I explained what the other rep had said and that I was concerned about the increase in oil consumption. At this point the A4 has 102k miles on it. She stated " I know exactly what the problem is, it's your turbos and they will need to be replaced and the cost is $2000+. I asked if it would be covered since it was slightly over the 100k ext warranty , she said no. At no time did she mention anything about the oil consumption test or issue. We found out when the claim from the Class Action suit came in the mail. We had the PVC valve replaced by a mechanic other than Audi because frankly the last conversation left a bad taste. We are now getting only 700 miles even with the valve replaced. My question is with the A4 now having 116k miles would I have a chance of making them fix this problem.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 Q5 Oil Consumption Test Result

Took my 2012 Q5 for oil consumption test and after phase 2 determined to be 0.13 QTS per 1000 miles. TAC informed and consumption rate within spec. No further action required.
So, if your car uses 1 QT of oil every 4-5 Miles (totally unacceptable for a car that has <30K) and everything is within the norm for AUDI you get silenced and run out of options? Has anyone took this further and contacted Audi Of America to get a better answer?
Thank you!
Old 05-26-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by luigit
Took my 2012 Q5 for oil consumption test and after phase 2 determined to be 0.13 QTS per 1000 miles. TAC informed and consumption rate within spec. No further action required.
So, if your car uses 1 QT of oil every 4-5K Miles (totally unacceptable for a car that has <30K) and everything is within the norm for AUDI you get silenced and run out of options? Has anyone took this further and contacted Audi Of America to get a better answer?
Thank you!
of course I meant 4 to 5 Thousand miles
Old 05-30-2015, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I picked up my 2009 A4 yesterday after they replaced the pistons and rings. Today my check engine light went on. Called the shop and they said it is ok as long as the car is running fine and it will reset itself. ??? I will wait and see, but the car is driving really well. I have to agree with eyab689 It has been a great car aside from the oil consumption issue.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps