Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motoguy128
If you under $80k miles the quoted price should be $0.

That's $0.00!!!

It's under the legal settlement that Audi extended the warranty to 80k miles and 8 years. Audi is however covering vehicle past 80k miles depending on the situation. For example mine was purchased used and likely had been consuming oil for a long time.
It is at 87+K miles at this time. Going to install an "AC" Rev genuine Audi/VW PCV to see if that fixes oil consumption first. Audi says i havr yo go thru phase 1 of tge evaluatuin before they decide what help yhey will provide. Since it isnt on Audi's covered list, dealer says I have to pay. The water pump is leaking and I suspect that is causing the whistle noise. Is that under some sort of extended warranty too?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news is that Audi of America Customer Experience folks are very friendly. It's located in Auburn Hill, MI I think. No idea if it will go anywhere, but in general she seemed to agree with me that the dealer is trying to avoid the rework.]

There are also some additional gaskets that aren't related to the timing chain or accessory drive belt, and a "misc" charge on the bill that I'm now going to dispute since it's been established that their service department may not be completely honest in billing practices.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

UPDATE:

Bad news, they sided with the dealer. Apparently they can pull you engine apart, replace parts, but when it's reassembled and it leaks oil (when it didn't before) it's the customer's problem to cover the repair.

It turns out the cover had a lot of rust, and they believe that caused it not to seal. OK, well, maybe they should have told me that it was in poor condition and might leak. I was never notified. I did replace 1 corroded sensor and paid for a whole lot of gaskets that apparently aren't covered on the piston repair, but are required to complete the work.

It's BS, but I'm not surprised at all.

I'm getting a quote from my local Indy to do the work.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did a little more research and at least one only DIY source says that you MUST replace this cover when removing it as it's almost impossible to get off without bending it, since it's thin stamped steel. The "corrosion" explanation the dealer gave me is complete crap. No way a powder coated part rusts in 5 years, 4 winters.

Still doesn't change the fact that I wasn't notified that it was corroded or susceptible to damage when being removed. Bottom line, Audi should automatically add this to the BOM for the piston & ring replacement.

I think my net plan is the have the dealer sell me the cover at cost, and they install it for free. It does look to be a 3-4 hour job and you need to partially remove the radiator assembly (front clip). IT would be probably a 1 hour job on a FWD car... ugh.

Anyone have access to the Audi Service Manual for this engine? Does it reference replacing this part when removed?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default AUDI USA denies our claim fo

Originally Posted by audinomore
I am having the same problem and runaround with Audi ! There are two separate parts to the settlement agreement. One is extending the warranty to 80,000 miles or 8 years from original date of purchase and the second (and distinct from the 80K entended warranty) is having the "service adjustment" performed within 18 months of the settlement date of January 28, 2015. So it is not impacted by the 80K warranty though many of the so called audi reps are are adamant about the 80k restricition. IT IS NOT TRUE. Read the settlement agreement at Oil Consumption Settlement > mainpage > Home. Audi is refusing to perform my service adjustment (service adjustment is defined in the settlement) and if it has not been done and your car is using excessive oil and you had oil the oil changes performed as outline in you manual you are good to go...BUT Audi wants to give us the runaway and they are making up all kinds of bs as to why my car is not considered in the settlement. Depending who you talk to you get completely different answers. The settlement also allow for the lead class counsel to assist all plaintiffs. I am in now in contact with them and I am refusing to give up ! The delearship wants 6200.00 to make the repair! I have owned Audi's since the mid 80's but no more !!!! if anyone has any additional info on this please post. I am sick and tired of Audi/VW getting away with this !
Even though we presented Audi with oil change records, they are still denying our request for the piston and ring work, indicating that Audi's service is much more complicated than just changing the oil
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update 01/28/16

Originally Posted by mp66226
Long story short, 2012 Q5, bought at 77K miles, now almost 88K, not a drop of oil consumption for first 9k miles, then started a faint whistling, threw code indicating PCV failure, it was bad, I replaced it myself with one off of ebay, turns out it was a "rev B" pcv. Since then, whistle is still there, no codes, oil consumption now at about 1 quart per fillup. Took it to Kansas City Audi because I got the letter regarding PCV valve. They called and said mine wasn't one that needed a pcv, couldn't hear the whistle. Said they could start what appears to be phase 1 of the oil consumption, i.e., new pcv, new crankshaft seal (what the heck is that?), reflash the ECU/Transmission programming to the most recent version. They quoted me about $950 for this phase. Is that about right? What are others getting charged for this phase 1?
OK, after a couple of visits/discussions with mechanic at the local Audi dealership, share with you what I understand about the 2012 Q5 2.0t. Somewhere around 1/16/2012, the engine components/programming changed on the 2012 2.0t. Mine is earlier than that time. So, the ECM programming is such that the PCV "-AC" revision is appropriate. After that time OR if you have the ECM software updated, you must install the "-AE" PCV revision and install a newer crankshaft seal on the lower timing chain over. The newer programming changes the pressure in the crankcase so these newer parts are needed to deal with it. I took off the aftermarket PCV valve I had installed and replaced it with a OEM "-AC" rev PCV. My gas mileage has jumped back up 4-6 mpg, the car runs smoother, and it appears that my oil consumption issue is much better after 100 miles. Keep in mind I was using a quart of oil with every tank fill-up. I had driven about 80 miles and it was down about 1/3 of a quart on the screen. I've driven about 100 miles and it hasn't budged. Save yourself the time and trouble and get the right OEM PCV valve.

Regarding the whistle, based upon the experience of another poster with a very similar situation which turned out to be the waterpump, I did some looking and see that my waterpump is leaking some. I am assuming that is what is causing the whistle So, I am going to replace the water pump this weekend. And based upon the fact that it looks to be a much easier job with the intake manifold removed coupled with the fact I assume my car needs the valves/ports cleaned since it has 88k and it hasn't been done and I was pumping a lot of oil thru it recently, I am going to take care of that at the same time.

FInally, just ordered the parts and tools for the lower timing chain tensioner replacement. Probably hold off for 2-3 weeks on that one. Buying the crankshaft holder tool as well. Will look into to offering it up as a cheap "loaner" or minimal rental tool (maybe $5) if anyone is interested.

If anyone is interested in seeing pics/descriptions of anything with the intake manifold, waterpump of timing chain tensioner processes, let me know and I will try to take some and post.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I received a response from the Claims Administrator

That's $0.00!!!

It's under the legal settlement that Audi extended the warranty to 80k miles and 8 years. Audi is however covering vehicle past 80k miles depending on the situation. For example mine was purchased used and likely had been consuming oil for a long time.
The claims administrator indicated that since I did not specifically request that an oil consumption test be performed prior to the 80K mile mark I was ineligible. They also said that

"The terms of the Settlement indicate that if a previous or prior owner had the oil consumption tests done previously, they are not liable to perform another one based on maintenance records."
Old 02-09-2016, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ctcifone
The claims administrator indicated that since I did not specifically request that an oil consumption test be performed prior to the 80K mile mark I was ineligible. They also said that

"The terms of the Settlement indicate that if a previous or prior owner had the oil consumption tests done previously, they are not liable to perform another one based on maintenance records."
Translation - please only lease our cars... and expect the leases to be high because residuals are low due to this issue.

The car dealer I bought mine from will no longer take Audi's with the 2.0T on trade with more than 60k miles. They've now sold 3 vehicles with oil consumption issues this last year.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's $0.00!!!

All, did some checking on my q5, it is apparently a fairly early 2012, production date was early November 2011. Put oem pcv valve on it for my production date. Runs better, better fuel mileage. Thought the oil consumption issue was resolved. Unfortunately has used a half quart in 165 miles since oil change and new pcv. So, I am trying to decide if I want to spend $1000 for phase 1 of the process with no promise of anything being covered by Audi. Hate to waste the money I paid on sales tax, tires, brakes, pcv valve, diverter valve, waterpump on a car that I really liked, didn't burn a drop of oil in the first 10K miles but with a consumption rate like I am seeing, can't be good. Considering trading this thing in or see what happens with audi. Btw, changed oil using Castrol euro and oem filters myself every 5k miles since I have had it. So, suggestions welcome folks, spend more on it or get rid of it?

Embarrassing Update - , So, went to add oil on Sunday as it had consumed a quart in about 270 miles or so. Found that the oil cap was not tightened down on the car, just sitting there. Added the oil, restarted the trip odometer and have been watching, put about 170 miles on the car, the level hasn't noticeably dropped at all. I don't know where all of that oil was going, it wasn't smoking, and I don't see much on the engine anywhere, but that seems to have addressed the REALLY excessive consumption issue at the moment. Will keep an eye on it.

All of that done, i.e., new PCV, new diverter, new water pump (was slowly seeping/leaking), several new hoses, new intake manifold gasket/seal, cleaned the valves, and the sucker still is whistling though. Thinking I am gonna take it somewhere that they can maybe put some mic's on it and see if they can pinpoint where the whistle is coming from if there aren't any more ideas here. It might be a little more sporadic now, i.e,. doesn't seem to be whistling as often (maybe???), but still doing it. Can't hear it outside of the car, only on the inside with windows closed (quiet), sitting or moving any speed, somewhat independent of the engine RPM, noticed it does seem to happen more, maybe get a little louder when turning fairly sharp like in a parking lot to the left more than the right. Got me stumped. If I could hear it outside the car, I could track it down. The only thing that I haven't changed that I was thinking MIGHT be doing it is the N75 valve (maybe a vacuum leak) but would suspect I would hear that on the outside, under the hood too. I did notice there is some dampness on the powersteering pump at the shaft seal. Not dripping but certainly making the pump damp itself. Given that the whistle may be happening when turning, maybe something with the power steering, although, again, no sound on the outside of the car or under the hood. Like I say, got me stumped. The Audi dealership mechanic heard it too and said he hadn't heard anything like that before. Once more, any other suggestions or thoughts from the board members?

Last edited by mp66226; 02-17-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mp66226
All, did some checking on my q5, it is apparently a fairly early 2012, production date was early November 2011. Put oem pcv valve on it for my production date. Runs better, better fuel mileage. Thought the oil consumption issue was resolved. Unfortunately has used a half quart in 165 miles since oil change and new pcv. So, I am trying to decide if I want to spend $1000 for phase 1 of the process with no promise of anything being covered by Audi. Hate to waste the money I paid on sales tax, tires, brakes, pcv valve, diverter valve, waterpump on a car that I really liked, didn't burn a drop of oil in the first 10K miles but with a consumption rate like I am seeing, can't be good. Considering trading this thing in or see what happens with audi. Btw, changed oil using Castrol euro and oem filters myself every 5k miles since I have had it. So, suggestions welcome folks, spend more on it or get rid of it?

Embarrassing Update - , So, went to add oil on Sunday as it had consumed a quart in about 270 miles or so. Found that the oil cap was not tightened down on the car, just sitting there. Added the oil, restarted the trip odometer and have been watching, put about 170 miles on the car, the level hasn't noticeably dropped at all. I don't know where all of that oil was going, it wasn't smoking, and I don't see much on the engine anywhere, but that seems to have addressed the REALLY excessive consumption issue at the moment. Will keep an eye on it.

All of that done, i.e., new PCV, new diverter, new water pump (was slowly seeping/leaking), several new hoses, new intake manifold gasket/seal, cleaned the valves, and the sucker still is whistling though. Thinking I am gonna take it somewhere that they can maybe put some mic's on it and see if they can pinpoint where the whistle is coming from if there aren't any more ideas here. It might be a little more sporadic now, i.e,. doesn't seem to be whistling as often (maybe???), but still doing it. Can't hear it outside of the car, only on the inside with windows closed (quiet), sitting or moving any speed, somewhat independent of the engine RPM, noticed it does seem to happen more, maybe get a little louder when turning fairly sharp like in a parking lot to the left more than the right. Got me stumped. If I could hear it outside the car, I could track it down. The only thing that I haven't changed that I was thinking MIGHT be doing it is the N75 valve (maybe a vacuum leak) but would suspect I would hear that on the outside, under the hood too. I did notice there is some dampness on the powersteering pump at the shaft seal. Not dripping but certainly making the pump damp itself. Given that the whistle may be happening when turning, maybe something with the power steering, although, again, no sound on the outside of the car or under the hood. Like I say, got me stumped. The Audi dealership mechanic heard it too and said he hadn't heard anything like that before. Once more, any other suggestions or thoughts from the board members?
I have an October 2011 build 2012 Q5 with 120,000 miles that also has a whistling sound as heard from the inside of the vehicle. I noticed that when I turn the steering wheel to full lock in either direction, the sound stops. It seems reasonable to investigate the power steering.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps