Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't hang too much on anecdotal evidence, but... I started a thread here about my '12 Q5 with 2.0T starting to burn oil all of a sudden at around 16T km (10K miles) and one responder suggested this was a consequence of the car being "babied" (or words to that effect) and what it needed were some regular full throttle, full rpm range runs (again I'm paraphrasing). It was true the car was babied as my wife is a very careful driver and she drove, and drives, it 80% of the time and although I drive more aggressively it was by no means full throttle/full rpm range. I took the advice and made a point of taking the car out every couple of weeks and exercising as recommended (and still do occasionally) - all I can say is that, other than being a lot of fun, the Q stopped burning oil shortly after - now has 43T kilometres (~27K miles). I change the oil every 8T kilometres (5K miles) and it literally burns no oil between changes (I check regularly with MMI and occasionally with dipstick I purchased after the problems started). fwiw ymmv.

Last edited by rez; 03-11-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Audi Q5 that burns a lot of oil. My issue is that now I am getting an alarm, "low oil pressure, switch off engine". I read many posts on this subject and it seems that nobody really knows what the cause is. In some instances the oil level sensor and pressure switch is replaced and others get an oil change and make sure the sensors contactors are in place, however in some cases it does not solve the problem. In my case, they are "95% sure" its the sensors and switch so they are replacing it. I wonder if its just a nuisance alarm, but I guess I will find out soon. Do you know if anyone actually fried their engine?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use a High Mileage Synthetic Oil?

I was wondering if any of the do it yourselfer's out there with an oil consumption problem tried a high mileage oil like Mobil One High Mileage.

I would not normally believe the hype, but my 10 year old push mower has been burning oil for the last several of years. I saw the Mobil One and thought what the heck, lets see if it works. I just topped the oil reservoir off and after one mowing job, the mower quite smoking and runs better. I have not had to top it off since.

I know, it is a mower, but you never know. It might be worth while if a high mileage oil that meets German standards is out there.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know that driving the 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T hard during breakin worked for me. My babied A4 with the 2.0T had severe oil burning issues. Engine "Overhaul" only lasted for a little bit and started burning oil again. Forced me to get rid of the car after the dealer stated that I should always carry a quart of oil with me (which they gave to me gratis.....gee thanks)
Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2013 Q3 also burning oil

Hello, I've read most of the post and they mostly relate to Q5s... I have a 2013 Q3 and have had engine oil at min warning twice now... once at 10,000 kms and yesterday, at 20,000 km... Is that normal? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

10,000 km = 6,213 miles, this is totally normal for these turbo engines. My light would go on after 600 miles (965km) to 1500 miles (2400km).
Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

My wife just called me to say the oil warning light is up on the display. 2nd time this has happened in less than 5 months. Had oil changed back in Apr/May timeframe when the light came on the 1st time. Q5's factory warranty is almost up (48.9k miles). Never had a problem like this when the car was new. Calling the dealership to have this checked out before we hit 50k.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Get everything documented with details about the low oil warning and what they are going to do to fix. Dealer tried several quick fixes that did not work on my A4. Final fix was an engine overhaul which lasted a little longer. My Dealer hesitated and fought the whole way.

Follow the steps from the original post:
These steps are important for you to get this issues resolved. I see a lot of oil consumption post so I feel I should explain the necessary steps to get this issue resolved. Audi knows that this issue affects all 2.0t engines up to 2011. The models include A4, A5, and Q5. This does not include the A3. At some point in 2011, Audi fixed the problem so I do not know the cut off point on production to when they fixed the issue. Audi realized they had a manufacturing problem with piston/rings.

Necessary Steps:
1. You must call your Audi Dealership to setup an appointment for an oil consumption test. Do not accept no from the service advisor or appointment center.

2. At the time of drop off do not let them tell you they will top it off and you are good to go. You must get the oil consumption test if the advisor is still giving you excuses please go see the service manager. If he/she does not want to perform it you may want to leave and call Audi Customer Experience Center.

3. If the dealership agrees to perform the Oil Consumption TSB then you will get a new breather valve, crankshaft seal and there will be a software update done. This software update reduces the internal engine pressure so as not to blow out the seal or the breather valve. At this time, the 1st part of the test is being started. The dealership will drain your oil and you must have a factory filter on the vehicle so the results are not blamed on your independent doing the oil change. During this 1st part your oil will be measured by weight then put back in your vehicle.

4. When you recieve the vehicle back you must drive the vehicle like normal. If the oil light comes back on DO NOT ADD oil or you will have to start the test over again.

5. When/If the light comes back on please return to the dealership ASAP. I would recommend you drive it there with the light on and ask for the 2nd part of the oil consumption test to be completed. You will need to drop the vehicle off. Again DO NOT ADD OIL.

6. Your dealer then will contact technical assistance and report the measurements. At this time, Audi technical assistance will decide on if you will be getting pistons or not. If the oil consumption is more than 1/4 a quart in 600 miles or 1 quart in less than 2500 miles this would be abnormal.

The dealer does not make the decision on whether you get pistons. Those of you that get upset with you dealer need to realize they did not make the call. If you have further concerns you should contact Audi Customer Experience to speak to an agent.

Those of you that have 2012 and newer should not have a problem. Although I have read some people on here with 2012 still have the issue. 2013 models definitely will not have the issues as these Q5s all have an updated engine code. Those of you that change your oil like Audi suggests should switch to every 5k miles. I would not recommend Audi's interval. Any other questions please let me know. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by Hockeymonkey; 08-22-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buckwheat2088
My wife just called me to say the oil warning light is up on the display. 2nd time this has happened in less than 5 months. Had oil changed back in Apr/May timeframe when the light came on the 1st time. Q5's factory warranty is almost up (48.9k miles). Never had a problem like this when the car was new. Calling the dealership to have this checked out before we hit 50k.

UPDATE. Took in the Q5 yesterday for oil change and mentioned that we've gotten the warning light twice since April. Service Manager said they would perform stage 1 oil consumption test. Glad he recommended it without me having to bring it up. It's now documented at 49,745 miles. He said we'd be taken care of throughout the process even after 50k. Wants me to drive 630 miles and then bring it back in for stage 2. Or if light comes on.

Great service. Honored my ACNA membership and gave me 10% off.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by AMCBimmer

3. If the dealership agrees to perform the Oil Consumption TSB then you will get a new breather valve, crankshaft seal and there will be a software update done. This software update reduces the internal engine pressure so as not to blow out the seal or the breather valve. At this time, the 1st part of the test is being started. The dealership will drain your oil and you must have a factory filter on the vehicle so the results are not blamed on your independent doing the oil change. During this 1st part your oil will be measured by weight then put back in your vehicle.
Can y'all clarify something for me? I'm not clear on the procedure after speaking with the service rep at the dealer this morning. They suggested the oil gets changed/weighed and then I drive for a while before any mods are done.

I've been under the impression that the mods (flash, PCV and seal) get done, the oil changed and weighed and then I'm on my way. Which is correct?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps