Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Polish vs. wax (vs. both) for new SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrar97
I JUST ordered (should arrive today) the CQuart coating products. Excited to give that "next best thing" a try and see what I think.
Cobra, good luck with that. I've got Cquartz UK on a couple of cars. It's been outstanding
Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear uberwgn...it's the UK that I got also. Can't wait to try it.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Take your time. Don't let it sit too long before leveling. Make sure your surfaces are perfect before application
Old 09-30-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the tips...it "looks" pretty simple. LOOKS being the key word. Everything looks easy when being done by someone experienced. I'll be sure to take my time yet move quickly too.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob...Yes, the detailing product world is vast. I think they make a different product for every single person in the world. Therefore, the choices, combinations, and the likes/dislikes are massive. There's certainly no right or wrong to it. I'm one that likes to try things, so I'm always "giving it a shot". I've been a sealant user for years now, but my dad won't use anything buy carnauba. I JUST ordered (should arrive today) the CQuart coating products. Excited to give that "next best thing" a try and see what I think.
Cobra97,

I've been using sealants (Klasse, Black Diamond, Griot's) for some years now, but am always willing to give something new a try. Seems Klassse gets the nod for longevity, but other sealants for the shine. I would be interested on your take (and others) on CQuart.

B
Old 09-30-2014, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bob,
I'll report back on the CQuartz. I'm going to do it on my truck in an effort to get familiar with it BEFORE the SQ5 arrives. If it's good, I intend to put it on that. My main reason is because of Audi's hard paint. If it gets marred, it can be a pain to correct. The CQuartz creates a sacrificial layer against that. It can be easily corrected or reapplied...leaving the underlying clearcoat mar-free. At least that's the thought...we shall see.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see this mentioned in this thread. There is one major step before any of this and that is to request that the dealership NOT "prep/detail" your new car.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nick3753 is right about that!!! There are dealers that follow a quality standard of vehicle-prep, but they are few...and you don't know until it's too late. It's just best to ask the dealer NOT to prep the care...just give it to you as-is. Just make sure you look it over real well before taking delivery.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bob...and others:
I completed the CQuartz UK application and just wanted to report back.
I certainly would NOT recommend this product to someone that's totally new to car detailing or hasn't waxed a car before. But for someone with basic understand of detailing, it's really quite easy.
It's one of those product that the PREP is most important (and the hardest part) and the actual product is simple as can be. On the particular vehicle I did this on, there were zero swirls, scratches, or marring...so I used a harsh soap to help remove the current protectant from it...then I used a Nanoskin autoscrub mit (with is like clay) and removed any surface contaminants...then I used a fine polish (CarPro Reflect) on a DA buffer to bring out as much gloss as possible...then applied the CQuartz UK.
The actual product simply wipes on very quickly, flashes for 1 minute or so, and wipes off. Just like that...one panel at a time! Biggest thing is looking at it from all angles and light sources to make sure it's ALL off. Anything that's excess and dries will create a "high spot" that then has to be removed by a buffer and re-coated. Sounds drastic, but it wipes off easy to begin with...so just looking over and over to make sure you got it all is all it takes.
Do 2 coats like this and you're done. There are some more specific details to it, but that's the jist of it.
I'm extremely impressed with the results. I've used alot of sealants that offer tons of shine and gloss, but this product is out-of-the-park. And supposedly the shine/gloss lasts as long as the product-durability does (where a sealant fades of time in the area of appearance). That remains to be seen, but I'm more than impressed at this point.
So...way easier than I expected...prep is the more important than usual with this...and I'm excited to see how it performs over the next couple months.
My new SQ5 should arrive late this year, and as of now...I will be using this product on it.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Bob...and others:
I completed the CQuartz UK application and just wanted to report back.
I certainly would NOT recommend this product to someone that's totally new to car detailing or hasn't waxed a car before. But for someone with basic understand of detailing, it's really quite easy.
It's one of those product that the PREP is most important (and the hardest part) and the actual product is simple as can be. On the particular vehicle I did this on, there were zero swirls, scratches, or marring...so I used a harsh soap to help remove the current protectant from it...then I used a Nanoskin autoscrub mit (with is like clay) and removed any surface contaminants...then I used a fine polish (CarPro Reflect) on a DA buffer to bring out as much gloss as possible...then applied the CQuartz UK.
The actual product simply wipes on very quickly, flashes for 1 minute or so, and wipes off. Just like that...one panel at a time! Biggest thing is looking at it from all angles and light sources to make sure it's ALL off. Anything that's excess and dries will create a "high spot" that then has to be removed by a buffer and re-coated. Sounds drastic, but it wipes off easy to begin with...so just looking over and over to make sure you got it all is all it takes.
Do 2 coats like this and you're done. There are some more specific details to it, but that's the jist of it.
I'm extremely impressed with the results. I've used alot of sealants that offer tons of shine and gloss, but this product is out-of-the-park. And supposedly the shine/gloss lasts as long as the product-durability does (where a sealant fades of time in the area of appearance). That remains to be seen, but I'm more than impressed at this point.
So...way easier than I expected...prep is the more important than usual with this...and I'm excited to see how it performs over the next couple months.
My new SQ5 should arrive late this year, and as of now...I will be using this product on it.
Do you have any before/after pics?

Quick Reply: Polish vs. wax (vs. both) for new SQ5