Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Pondering SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 PM
els
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pondering SQ5

I've been thinking for a while about making a new car purchase to replace my aging 4Runner. I met with the salesman back in December and unfortunately I never got a reply from him via email so I'm going to find a different salesperson who is more responsive. Anyway, I have been ACNA member for about 8-9 months and I probably will have the salesperson place order since I don't think I'd find SQ5 on the lot that would fit my requirements but it's still an option.

I haven't decided on color yet but pretty certain on Premium Plus along with some options. I really like 21 wheels but probably not ideal for Colorado. I don't think I want to deal with two set of wheels and tires - the weather in Colorado can change drastically - we can have 70 degrees one day in the wintertime then 10 degrees and snow couple days later. The 20 wheels are nice but not as nice as 21 and I think I'll probably go for all season tires and it'd probably easier to find ones for 20 than 21.

As for towing since my 4runner has towing package - I'd like SQ5 to have one as well but I'm thinking since I don't tow very often the one from Execuhitch might work and it's more concealed. Anyone has it on SQ5 here?

Any other insights? Know of a good Audi dealership in Denver area? It will be my first Audi vehicle.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by els
I've been thinking for a while about making a new car purchase to replace my aging 4Runner. I met with the salesman back in December and unfortunately I never got a reply from him via email so I'm going to find a different salesperson who is more responsive. Anyway, I have been ACNA member for about 8-9 months and I probably will have the salesperson place order since I don't think I'd find SQ5 on the lot that would fit my requirements but it's still an option.

I haven't decided on color yet but pretty certain on Premium Plus along with some options. I really like 21 wheels but probably not ideal for Colorado. I don't think I want to deal with two set of wheels and tires - the weather in Colorado can change drastically - we can have 70 degrees one day in the wintertime then 10 degrees and snow couple days later. The 20 wheels are nice but not as nice as 21 and I think I'll probably go for all season tires and it'd probably easier to find ones for 20 than 21.

As for towing since my 4runner has towing package - I'd like SQ5 to have one as well but I'm thinking since I don't tow very often the one from Execuhitch might work and it's more concealed. Anyone has it on SQ5 here?

Any other insights? Know of a good Audi dealership in Denver area? It will be my first Audi vehicle.

Thanks.
I used to work for Audi, and I would get their cars ready for delivery. We sold an SQ5 with the 21 inch wheel package, which by the way those wheels kick ***. I didn't like the way the car rode though. 20 inch is your best bet. The wheels on the basic SQ5 are not my cup of tea, but you could probably swap them out for the 20 inch 5-arm rotors found on the TDI and 3.0T models -- those look almost as awesome as the 21s (in my humble opinion).

Since you mentioned towing, you should consider test driving both the SQ5 and the TDI model. We sold plenty of TDIs to buyers with towing in mind. The SQ5 will be much faster at the higher end, but at the lower end they're about even. Driving the two back to back, I preferred the TDI for everyday driving, and the SQ5 for less-than-legal driving fun
Old 05-26-2015, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

20s are definitely the way to go if you want to run all seasons, Pilot Sport A/S 3 and DWS's both come in the correct sizing. I ran the A/S 3s all winter last year in Denver and didn't have any issues. even when it was -10 and snowing. Now that they have the 20" wheel available with the HGB package I would have done my config a bit differently, but still would have stuck with 20" wheels.

I went with Audi Boulder after shopping around, if you're not an ACNA member they do Costco pricing which is almost as good.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely have audi install the tow hitch. It works so much better from factory and doesn't look bad at all when you trim the cover and put it on.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you order it with the hitch, about $750 that way, if you install after the fact, you are looking at about double that. Parts plus labor costs.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gagethrash
I used to work for Audi, and I would get their cars ready for delivery. We sold an SQ5 with the 21 inch wheel package, which by the way those wheels kick ***. I didn't like the way the car rode though. 20 inch is your best bet. The wheels on the basic SQ5 are not my cup of tea, but you could probably swap them out for the 20 inch 5-arm rotors found on the TDI and 3.0T models -- those look almost as awesome as the 21s (in my humble opinion).

Since you mentioned towing, you should consider test driving both the SQ5 and the TDI model. We sold plenty of TDIs to buyers with towing in mind. The SQ5 will be much faster at the higher end, but at the lower end they're about even. Driving the two back to back, I preferred the TDI for everyday driving, and the SQ5 for less-than-legal driving fun
I also live in CO and just took delivery on an SQ5 and I would say swapping the tires every 6 months is not that big a deal. If I buy a car like this I would want to have the wheels that look the best. As for towing, yea I'm sure the SQ can do that but if that is a real driver for you I do think the TDI would be better. You will miss out on a whole lot of fun though so weigh that carefully. Different needs for different folks. Enjoy
Old 05-27-2015, 08:27 PM
els
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info - I think I can settle for SQ5 20 inch wheels although I wish they offer 21 inch design in 20.

I don't tow much. The last time I towed was last year. How does the factory hitch look with the cover cut out? Does it come with cover to conceal the hitch? I agree if I want to have tow hitch I'd have it done at factory.

Another thing I didn't mention in the original post - I think I will opt for one without panoramic sunroof. Granted, it is nice but it has cons - added weight, heats up interior quicker in summertime, and potential mechanical issues as the vehicle ages.

The other option I'm consider is the luxury package. I'm guessing the seats are different?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

re: towing

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...di-q5-2866342/

Seems like execuhitch might be the best bet so you can hide it when not in use which is what I plan on doing
Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by els
I don't tow much. The last time I towed was last year. How does the factory hitch look with the cover cut out? Does it come with cover to conceal the hitch? I agree if I want to have tow hitch I'd have it done at factory.
One thing to note, there is no factory hitch. If you order the hitch with the vehicle, it will port installed in Houston when the vehicle arrives in the states. You just don't have to pay the installation costs like you would at the dealer if you got it from them.

Originally Posted by els
The other option I'm consider is the luxury package. I'm guessing the seats are different?
Correct, you don't get the sport seats, you'll have the luxury ones instead.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGinger
re: towing

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...di-q5-2866342/

Seems like execuhitch might be the best bet so you can hide it when not in use which is what I plan on doing
If you get the factory hitch, it's wired into the vehicles existing electronics covered under warranty. When they give you the cover plate, if you just use a dremmel and cut a small hole just for the hitch, it looks fine, it looks like it's supposed to be there. I have an AUDI symbol in mine and it looks great.

Why try to hide it? after all it is an SUV, not a sports car.

Quick Reply: Pondering SQ5