Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Post facelift European Spec Tail Lights Coding for Q5 & Part Numbers:

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCar
Well, I did some troubleshooting today. I used my digital multimeter and checked the pins for blinker and brake lights. I swapped the pins for each and it's working fine now. I must have inadvertently swapped the pins, or, the pins on the ROW and US tail lights are in fact swapped. Dunno, but it's working now, so yay. 8-)

Has anyone said anything about the brightness difference between the full red LED and the single row of amber LEDs?
The pins are indeed swapped between ROW and US tail light assemblies. I just got finished putting in my Euro tail lights and was very careful about the pin coloration on my old lights, the new lights, and the plug assembly.

After making the VAG-COM changes (which took a little figuring out of the interface), my break-lights flash and my amber signals are the break lights.

To bad you did not include the colored wires that you had to swap, that would save me from having to get out the meter. =)

When this is all done, I plan on creating a more comprehensive document with part numbers, pictures, and notes on how to make the changes. All this info is good, but it is spread through the post and is pretty high level. I would like to make this a little easier for anyone else doing it.

UPDATE: Found a wiring diagram for another face-lift which swapped the middle two pins. Figured it could not be that different, so tried it and that worked.

Verified hazards and turn signals all around vehicle. With and without breaks. Looks like it is working properly. =)

Last edited by Daisame; 06-25-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daisame
The pins are indeed swapped between ROW and US tail light assemblies. I just got finished putting in my Euro tail lights and was very careful about the pin coloration on my old lights, the new lights, and the plug assembly.

After making the VAG-COM changes (which took a little figuring out of the interface), my break-lights flash and my amber signals are the break lights.

To bad you did not include the colored wires that you had to swap, that would save me from having to get out the meter. =)

When this is all done, I plan on creating a more comprehensive document with part numbers, pictures, and notes on how to make the changes. All this info is good, but it is spread through the post and is pretty high level. I would like to make this a little easier for anyone else doing it.

UPDATE: Found a wiring diagram for another face-lift which swapped the middle two pins. Figured it could not be that different, so tried it and that worked.

Verified hazards and turn signals all around vehicle. With and without breaks. Looks like it is working properly. =)
Dang! Way to make me feel like a poor contributor. lol!! JK really. I should have though, but I'm glad you figured it out!! The euro tails are really awesome.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, it occurred to me, that in the US, the lights all flash or come on with the break pedal together.

So instead of the wiring having to be reversed, it is quite possible that the VAG-COM programming may simply be backwards. In any case, it is probably easier to swap some wires that screw with the VAG-COM configuration.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:35 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, it occurred to me, that in the US, the lights all flash or come on with the break pedal together.

So instead of the wiring having to be reversed, it is quite possible that the VAG-COM programming may simply be backwards. In any case, it is probably easier to swap some wires that screw with the VAG-COM configuration.
Let us know if switching wires simply makes this work. It would be amazing to have it all plug and play with no coding.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTG
Let us know if switching wires simply makes this work. It would be amazing to have it all plug and play with no coding.

Sorry. That is not what I meant.

In the US version. When you apply the break, both the signal strip and break light illuminate. When you turn the signal on, both the break light and signal strip flash.

If the VAG-COM programming decouples this behavior. It is logical to conclude that it sets one set of lights to apply when the break pedal is pressed and the other lights to flash when the turn signal is activated.

So... it is possible that the wiring harness does NOT have to have the wires flipped, and that simply the VAG-COM coding is just 'backwards'.

We work around that VAC-COM coding, by simply reversing the pins on the light assembly so that the proper lights come on with the break pedal and flash with the turn signal.

Does that make things more clear?

You will definitely need to use VAG-COM to reprogram and decouple the lighting. I don't know enough about the controller and programming to be sure, and it would be more work to putz around with that, then to simply reverse the wires.

Attaching video of my completed face-lift. hope it displays properly =)
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
Audi Euro Lights Small.mpg (3.26 MB, 256 views)
Old 06-30-2016, 01:03 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry. That is not what I meant.

In the US version. When you apply the break, both the signal strip and break light illuminate. When you turn the signal on, both the break light and signal strip flash.

If the VAG-COM programming decouples this behavior. It is logical to conclude that it sets one set of lights to apply when the break pedal is pressed and the other lights to flash when the turn signal is activated.

So... it is possible that the wiring harness does NOT have to have the wires flipped, and that simply the VAG-COM coding is just 'backwards'.

We work around that VAC-COM coding, by simply reversing the pins on the light assembly so that the proper lights come on with the break pedal and flash with the turn signal.

Does that make things more clear?

You will definitely need to use VAG-COM to reprogram and decouple the lighting. I don't know enough about the controller and programming to be sure, and it would be more work to putz around with that, then to simply reverse the wires.

Attaching video of my completed face-lift. hope it displays properly =)
I see what you are saying and may be confusing people a bit when you say reversing the wires.

I swapped the wires directly from US pins to ROW pins and did not reverse anything. Afterwards, it was just a simple coding.

This is a super simple mod.

To complete the whole E-Code lights, I have swapped out the headlights as well. Light patten is much better and no more orange reflectors!!!!

Name:  20160608_101248_zpsfnifcdqq.jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  182.4 KB
Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks Great

V/r
Dan
Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTG
I see what you are saying and may be confusing people a bit when you say reversing the wires.

I swapped the wires directly from US pins to ROW pins and did not reverse anything. Afterwards, it was just a simple coding.

This is a super simple mod.

To complete the whole E-Code lights, I have swapped out the headlights as well. Light patten is much better and no more orange reflectors!!!!

Interesting.

I compared the Euro tail lights I received wire and pin order in the plug with the US light assemblies and they had the exact same order of wiring. So I pulled the pins out of the Eruo tail light assembly plug and insert them into the US plug in the same order. When making the VAG-COM changes you posted, the turn signals were flashing my break lights, and my break pedal would illuminate the amber strip.

I have a 2013 Q5. Is it possible that the wiring harness changed the order of the pins in other model years?

Thanks for all the posts and help. Would not have been able to get this done without this info.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sir,

What is the color of your wires from 1 to 4?

V/r
Dan
Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is there still success with recoding north american lights to Euro spec? I moved my car to europe and Im caught up in that issue right now. Audi UK wouldn't supply the codes to the dealer who's helping me.

Quick Reply: Post facelift European Spec Tail Lights Coding for Q5 & Part Numbers: